[comp.misc] Trouble with HP12c

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (04/26/89)

Help.  Someone in my office has an HP12C that has started displaying numbers
"European" fashion:  Thousands separated by periods and fraction separated
from integer by a comma.  I can find nothing in the manual indicating
how to switch it back.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (04/26/89)

Thanks to all of you who suggested holding down the "." key while cycling
the power.  That is indeed the way to swap the use of comma and period.

Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

larry@hpfinote.HP.COM (Larry Schneider) (04/26/89)

I don't have the manual in front of me, but there's a way to do it.  I think
you have to hold down the decimal key when you turn it on.

Larry Schneider (larry_s@hpltbf.hp.com)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/26/89)

In article <473@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM>, dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
> Help.  Someone in my office has an HP12C that has started displaying numbers
> "European" fashion:  Thousands separated by periods and fraction separated
> from integer by a comma.  I can find nothing in the manual indicating
> how to switch it back.  Any ideas?
>
> Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments

Yeah.  Take it to Europe, then bring it back through U.S. customs.  It
was obviously asleep the last time the owner returned from Belgium. :-)
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

chrisb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Chris Bunsen) (04/27/89)

*/ hpcvra:comp.misc / dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) / 10:04 am  Apr 25, 1989 /
*Help.  Someone in my office has an HP12C that has started displaying numbers
*
*"European" fashion:  Thousands separated by periods and fraction separated
*from integer by a comma.  I can find nothing in the manual indicating
*how to switch it back.  Any ideas?
*
*Thanks in advance...
*Dan
*---
*Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
*uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
*(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

With the calculator turned off, press the decimal key [.] and hold it down
while turning the calculator back on.

Nice calculator, that HP-12C.

Chris Bunsen
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, OR

martin@hpdml93.HP.COM (Martin Ackerman) (04/27/89)

/ hpdml93:comp.misc / dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) / 11:04 am  Apr 25, 1989 /
Help.  Someone in my office has an HP12C that has started displaying numbers
"European" fashion:  Thousands separated by periods and fraction separated
from integer by a comma.  I can find nothing in the manual indicating
how to switch it back.  Any ideas?

The following works on both my HP15C and HP16C:

(From the HP15C Owner's Handbook.)

You can reverse [the digit separator] setting to conform to the numerical
convention used in many contries. To do so, turn off the calculator. Press
and hold ON, press and hold . (period), release ON, then release . (ON/.).
(Repeating this sequence will set the calculator to the previous display
convention.)

These instructions were list in the index under "Digit Separator Display".

I hope this helps.

jhs90684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/27/89)

I have an HP-15C, but I assume things work in the same way.  If you hold
down the decimal point key while you turn on the calculator, it will
toggle you back and forth between the American Style (25,000,000.00) and the
European Style (25.000.000,00).

Jeff Slovin
jhs90684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

adams@hpfelg.HP.COM (John Adams) (04/27/89)

> Help.  Someone in my office has an HP12C that has started displaying numbers
> "European" fashion:  Thousands separated by periods and fraction separated
> from integer by a comma.  I can find nothing in the manual indicating
> how to switch it back.  Any ideas?

  To  toggle  the  mode,  hold  down  the  '.'  key  while  turning  the
  calculator  on.  The 10(?)  series  all  behave the same way.  The 28s
  has a function key defined in the MODE menu to change the radix.

  John Adams

pld@hpcll10.HP.COM (Paul L. Dineen) (04/28/89)

> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>
> Yeah.  Take it to Europe, then bring it back through U.S. customs.  It
> was obviously asleep the last time the owner returned from Belgium. :-)

  ^ Nice bit o' humor.

    But, Clayton, you forgot to tell him how to get his assault rifle through!