[comp.misc] USSR Microcomputers: Behind who?

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (05/06/89)

From: Ted Holden, HTE

Darin Johnson, of  Lockheed AI Center, Menlo Park, writes:

>>I was visiting the Space Research Institute in Moscow a little over
>>a year ago.  At least there, they have standardized on one kind
>>of computer: IBM clones.

>At least we don't have to worry them getting any technical
>advantage over us.

I'm not the least bit worried about the Russkies gaining any technical
edge over American private industry;  the U.S. government, however, may
be another story.  Picture flying an F-30, all of its systems programmed
in Ada by one of the nifty companies which regularly make headlines for
their dealings with the U.S. military, along with an appropriate mix of
8-A subs, against a MIG-45 programmed in Borland's Turbo C 2.0 or Zortech's
C++ (either of which said Russkies might have for roughly $100)...  Care
to bet who'ld win??

Ted Holden
HTE

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (05/06/89)

In article <234@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:

   I'm not the least bit worried about the Russkies gaining any technical
   edge over American private industry;  the U.S. government, however, may
   be another story.  Picture flying an F-30, all of its systems programmed
   in Ada by one of the nifty companies which regularly make headlines for
   their dealings with the U.S. military, along with an appropriate mix of
   8-A subs, against a MIG-45 programmed in Borland's Turbo C 2.0 or Zortech's
   C++ (either of which said Russkies might have for roughly $100)...  Care
   to bet who'ld win??

Ever tried writing a million lines of C in Turbo?  Good luck... 1/2 :-)

| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | VOTE on	         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu | rec.music.newage! |
| Send votes for/against rec.music.newage to "rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu".   |