[comp.misc] DD AS HD DSKTS !

chess@ibmpcug.UUCP (Chess Ferrier) (04/15/89)

For the last 18 months we have been using PARROT, DSDD 3.5" diskettes as
either DSDD (720Kb) in out PC-ATs or DSHD (1.44Mb) in our PS/2s.

To date I don't think that we have had even 1 problem with read or write
errors !

Has anyone any views on the pros and cons of using DSDD diskettes as DSHD ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr Chess Ferrier

ESSO ENGINEERING (EUROPE) LIMITED.
Apex Tower, High Street, New Malden, Surrey, KT3 4DJ.

01-949-8459

Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
represent the views of the IBM PC User Group.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (04/21/89)

There is a rumor that Sony 3.5" DSDD disks won't format at all in DSHD
(1.44Mb) mode.  Can anyone confirm this?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

root@spdyne.UUCP (04/25/89)

> There is a rumor that Sony 3.5" DSDD disks won't format at all in DSHD
> (1.44Mb) mode.  Can anyone confirm this?
> Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois

    Is this with the extra hole "melted thru"?  A HD microfloppy has to
have two holes in it in order for the drive to format it.  It needs a
second hole opposite of the Write protect hole.

    I presume that the original poster has been using such a device..
I'm told the the only diff between the two types of floppies is the
percision in which they are made.  (The Case & Center, not the media)

    -Chert Pellett
     chert@spdyne

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (04/26/89)

In article <79700021@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
<There is a rumor that Sony 3.5" DSDD disks won't format at all in DSHD
<(1.44Mb) mode.  Can anyone confirm this?

They will format to 1.44M and seem to be at least somewhat reliable.
*However* a CORRECTLY WIRED 1.44M drive won't format a DSDD disk to
1.44M. There is an extra hole in the disk to indicate that it is a HD
disk. Without this hole the drive won't go to high density mode.

Of course this is not well known, as IBM PS/2's and Compaq SLT's both
have the drives wired "incorrectly". :-)
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

In article <79700021@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>There is a rumor that Sony 3.5" DSDD disks won't format at all in DSHD
>(1.44Mb) mode.  Can anyone confirm this?
>Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois

It's true, sort of. Here's my experience. We have 2 IBM PS/2 (30 and 60) and
several third party AT clones. They all have 1.44M 3.5" drives.

Using (different brands) DSDD (720K) disks, I tried to format them to 1.44M

THe PS/2's do this just fine, but the clones won't read these disks and will
not format them to 1.44M, so I think it depends on the 3.5" drive you have.
Not the brand of disk. Buy a box and try it out.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/28/89)

:
:a CORRECTLY WIRED 1.44M drive won't format a DSDD disk to
:1.44M. There is an extra hole in the disk to indicate that it is a HD
:disk. Without this hole the drive won't go to high density mode.
:
:Of course this is not well known, as IBM PS/2's and Compaq SLT's both
:have the drives wired "incorrectly". :-)

Someone out there is marketing a punch to puch this little hole in your
DD disks so they can be formatted HD, I wonder how many they've sold to
unknowing Compaq & IBM owners.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (05/07/89)

   Has anybody had enough experience with DD 3.5" diskettes used at HD to
comment on reliability ??? I've seen many articles describing modifications
to the drive or the media, but none stating "I've been using DD at HD for
six months without problems" or "I've used hundreds of DD diskettes at HD
without problems".

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/13/89)

In article <1989May6.163118.2460@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.UUCP (Mark Freedman) writes:
}   Has anybody had enough experience with DD 3.5" diskettes used at HD to
}comment on reliability ??? I've seen many articles describing modifications
}to the drive or the media, but none stating "I've been using DD at HD for
}six months without problems" or "I've used hundreds of DD diskettes at HD
}without problems".

I don't have long-term experience because the short-term was so bad.

I tried formatting Fuji DD diskettes as HD on an IBM PS2/50z.  Typically,
one third to half the diskette's capacity would wind up as bad sectors.  I
gave up and now only use the diskettes as Fuji intended.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum