[comp.misc] Looking for lint...

c60c-3ds@web-3b.berkeley.edu (05/06/89)

Is there a LINT for the Atari ST?
If there isn't, is there a good book on writing something like LINT?
Has a LINT been written in YACC/Bison, and is it available anywhere?

Potential lint picker
         John Kawakami              The 80's were old before they were new.
   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (05/10/89)

In article <24094@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-3ds@web-3b.berkeley.edu writes:

> Is there a LINT for the Atari ST?
> If there isn't, is there a good book on writing something like LINT?
> Has a LINT been written in YACC/Bison, and is it available anywhere?
>
> Potential lint picker
>          John Kawakami              The 80's were old before they were new.
>    c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu

I haven't seen a lex, yacc, or awk for the ST either. Mark Williams does have a
very good Bourne type shell with an excellent 'make' though.

If anyone has a set of these tools for the ST PLEASE POST them!!!

I am still waiting for mark Williams to release an ANSI C compiler for the ST!!!

Richard (Long Live MWC!!) Covert

c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (05/10/89)

In article <431fba10.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>I haven't seen a lex, yacc, or awk for the ST either. Mark Williams does have a
>very good Bourne type shell with an excellent 'make' though.
>
>If anyone has a set of these tools for the ST PLEASE POST them!!!
>
>I am still waiting for mark Williams to release an ANSI C compiler for the ST!!!
>Richard (Long Live MWC!!) Covert

As for Lint, I've been directed to the gcc compiler.  I should have though
about this before, as I regularly use gcc at school.  Now I wish I had 4
megs and a large hard drive :-]
I still haven't found a stand alone lint though.

There are indeed (f)lex, and yacc for the ST.  Flex is called flex, and yacc
is Bison (the gnu edition of yacc).  Both should be available from the
terminator.cc.umich.edu archives.  I think there is a nawk for the ST as well,
but I'm not sure.

P.S. Bison will not parse (MS-DOS) files with CRLF.  The CR must be stripped
off.  Probably a problem with the libraries used.

siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) (05/10/89)

In article <431fba10.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>I am still waiting for mark Williams to release an ANSI C compiler for the ST!!!
>
>Richard (Long Live MWC!!) Covert

Well, to start with, they already define __STDC__ (vomit), so they must
have plans in that direction. BTW, I like MWC as well, there just SOME
things you shouldn't do to C-programmers, they already have to deal
with far too many languages called C.

	Siebren van der Zee, siebren@cwi.nl

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/11/89)

Covert) writes:
> In article <24094@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-3ds@web-3b.berkeley.edu writes:
> > Is there a LINT for the Atari ST?
> I haven't seen a lex, yacc, or awk for the ST either. Mark Williams
> does have a very good Bourne type shell with an excellent 'make' though.
> I am still waiting for mark Williams to release an ANSI C compiler for
> the ST!!!

GCC (from the GNU project, formally called the Free Software Foundation)
is an ANSI compiler, and it works on the ST.  I flamed its version 1.21,
but I'm told that 1.35 is really much better.  It is free, with certain
copying restrictions; mainly, they say you can't impose any
restrictions.  The GNU people are producing a UNIX workalike, complete
with OS and the major (and some minor) tools.  Their yacc workalike is
called "bison" and they must have lex and probably awk, too.  An ANSI
compiler with a decent catalogue of warnings amounts to the same thing
as lint, so that takes care of that.

You can get GCC from some of the ST and/or UNIX archives.  Somebody else
will have to get you the address of the FSF, I don't know what it is.

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/11/89)

In article <431fba10.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>In article <24094@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-3ds@web-3b.berkeley.edu writes:
>>
>> Is there a LINT for the Atari ST?
>> If there isn't, is there a good book on writing something like LINT?
>> Has a LINT been written in YACC/Bison, and is it available anywhere?
>>
>I haven't seen a lex, yacc, or awk for the ST either. Mark Williams does have a
>very good Bourne type shell with an excellent 'make' though.
>
>If anyone has a set of these tools for the ST PLEASE POST them!!!

*** The original lex, yacc and lint are copyrighted by AT&T, and are not
redistributable without their license.

DO NOT POST COPYRIGHTED LEX, YACC OR LINT SOURCES! ***

However, the Free Software Foundation's "Bison" is a yacc replacement,
and has been ported to the ST.  A version was posted here some months
ago, and can be obtained from various archive sites.

Flex is a "fast lex" and is also publicly redistributable.  It was
written by Vern Paxson (of Lawrence Berkeley Labs?), and is being
included with GNU stuff, although it wasn't written by the FSF.  It,
too, has been ported to the ST and is available in various archives.

I have not seen a "lint" program for the ST, and I suspect that until
the GNU project gets around to writing one there won't be one.

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

agrusow@exunido.uucp (Michael Vishchers) (05/12/89)

In article <431fba10.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>I haven't seen a lex, yacc, or awk for the ST either. Mark Williams does have a
[deleted]
>If anyone has a set of these tools for the ST PLEASE POST them!!!

Last week I finished the ST port of flex (a lex replacement, appeared in
comp.sources.{unix|misc} ) and almost that of gawk (GNU awk) (sources from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc).

As far as I can tell, flex works o.k. (porting was straightforward, using
Sozobon), but gawk still bombs sometimes (lots of sizeof(int)=sizeof(char *)
stuff, I replaced the regexp routines with those from Henry(?) Spencer, at
least these are working correctly).

If there is enough interest, I will ask our postmaster(s) if I can send the
binaries & sources to the moderator.

Michael

/ Michael Vishchers                           | History repeats itself.\
| michaelV@owl.ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de | Has to.                |
| michaelV%owl.ls5@UNIDO.uucp                 | No one listens.        |
| (I think)                                   |        (steve turner)  |
\______________________________________________________________________/
/ Home address:: Frohnhauser Str. 233    D-4300 Essen 1    West-Germany\

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (05/16/89)

In article <1366@laura.UUCP> agrusow@exunido.UUCP (Michael Vishchers) writes:
>In article <431fba10.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>>
>Last week I finished the ST port of flex (a lex replacement, appeared in
>If there is enough interest, ....
>/ Michael Vishchers                           | History repeats itself.\
>| michaelV@owl.ls5.informatik.uni-dortmund.de | Has to.                |
>| michaelV%owl.ls5@UNIDO.uucp                 | No one listens.        |
>| (I think)                                   |        (steve turner)  |
>\______________________________________________________________________/
>/ Home address:: Frohnhauser Str. 233    D-4300 Essen 1    West-Germany\

Yes, I am interested in flex and especially gawk!
If you can't post could you e-mail the sources?

|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
|POB 60220                 |                              |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |

Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough committee
meetings are held to discuss it.