[comp.misc] Alternatives to Halon Needed

jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Matrow) (05/25/89)

We are having to install a Halon fire protection system.
We heard that there is some environmental resistance and that
some alternatives are available. If you have information on
problems or alternatives, please post or email.

--
John Matrow   Information Systems & Services, NCR E&M Wichita
 NCR:654-8851 <J.Matrow@Wichita.NCR.COM>

In article <5276@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM> jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John
Matrow) writes:
 >We are having to install a Halon fire protection system.
 >We heard that there is some environmental resistance and that
 >some alternatives are available. If you have information on
 >problems or alternatives, please post or email.

From what I understand, Halon has two problems.

1> It is a flourocarbon, therefore the 'environmental resistance' you
mentioned.

2> I have been told that under direct heat (such as a fire), Halon can degrade
and become corrosive to metal. So although Halon saved your equipment from fire
damage, it could well cause you damage in other ways.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406