[comp.misc] RASCII/Russian keyboard

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (06/05/89)

From: Robin C. LaPasha:

>Oh, then there's keymaps.  I don't even know what the
>Soviets use for keymaps (keyboard layouts) on computers,
>but the typewriters are set _really_ differently.  Wouldn't
>necessarily work out phonetically without a new keymap.

Russian keyboards are set up like the Dvorak keyboards with which
all the speed typing records get set in English;  keys which fall
together in usage are together on the keyboard.  My understanding
is that the QWERTY keyboard was set up to achieve an opposite effect
so that fast typists wouldn't be able to jam the early typewriters.

Access to typewriters, copying machines etc. has always been a big
deal over there.  Russian handwriting on average is unbelieveably good
simply because they don't dare dream of owning typewriters.  They must
go through holy hell with penmanship their first several years of school;
the term, I believe, is "chistopicanyah", or "clean writing".  I mean,
those people need PCs BAD, and every PC we can sell them can probably be
regarded as another nail in the coffin of communism.

Ted Holden
HTE