[comp.misc] Desktop Non-metaphors

In article <727@xroads.UUCP> ronnie@xroads.UUCP (Ronnie Phillips) writes:
>In article <1989May18.213756.22453@utpsych.toronto.edu> chris@utpsych.toronto.edu (Christine Hitchcock) writes:
>
>What no one tells you is how tired you get from holding your hand
>in such an uncomfortable position at your monitor.  No resting
>place for your hand and if  you want to do anything detailed it
>gets very tedious.  Of course, I suppose it all depends on your
>intended use - as a pointer it would be great... but as a drawing
>tool its terrible.  It is accurate, but you get too tired with it.

Hokay, so you can write all day with a pencil, and you love your lightpen,
but the blasted thing (helped little by the extra weight of that blamed
wire) blows out your arm.

So, what I want to know is, how long does it take before someone gets
the bright idea to build flat CRTs into desktops to give our backs,
necks, knees (yeah, I've used one of those semi-kneeling 'computer
chairs' before) and arms a little rest?

Or have the ergonomists legislated that we are too uncomfortable in the
traditional paperwork pose?

				--Blair
				  "Before you know it, Computer
				   Science degree programs will
				   include a distribution requirement
				   in Butoh..."

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/07/89)

I have seen ads for desks with shelves for the keyboard that swing up and
around the front and with a glass openning and a shelf underneath
for the monitor, allowing you to look into the desk and see the display.
Only three problems with this idea: No lightpens, >$1000 when I saw it,
and how long will it take to cover that little glass window with paperwork:-)?
		       -- Darren