[comp.misc] PC-WEEK Article / OS-2 Obituary?

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (06/12/89)

From Ted Holden, HTE:

Did anybody notice the article on page 81 of the May 22 issue of PC Week?
I've been telling people that OS-2 wasn't going to make it for three years
now, but I've only begun to believe it myself in the last year;  the
rationale is sufficient, lack of portability, lack of connectivity, bugs
etc., but rationality doesn't always triumph in the face of IBM media
blitzes and hype.  In particular, the squirrel mags have been hyping OS-2
to the four winds and the mountain tops for three years, and the PC-WEEK
article is the first thing in print that I've seen which appears to say
anything different.  Unless I'm reading it wrong somehow or other, it's
saying that by 1993, Unix will be doing more than double the business
of OS-2 like, basically, hey the game's over; Unix is going to win and
OS-2 is going to lose, simple as that.

Ted Holden
HTE

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (06/12/89)

In article <237@imspw6.UUCP>, bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:

> From Ted Holden, HTE:
>
> Unless I'm reading it wrong somehow or other, it's
> saying that by 1993, Unix will be doing more than double the business
> of OS-2 like, basically, hey the game's over; Unix is going to win and
> OS-2 is going to lose, simple as that.

 I work for a major computer manufacturer who markets UNIX boxes and
 PCs.  From my own experience, it would appear that OS/2 is far from
 a dead issue.  The belief seems to be here that OS/2 has a better
 than fighting chance to win the desktop market, but UNIX WILL take
 its share of the micro business.   Application software is being
 designed such that it will be portable to either UNIX or OS/2.

 My own feeling is that OS/2 will hit a quick deadend if it does not
 address the following:  1) POSIX, and  2) RISC.

 Gates claims to have a POSIX-conformant OS/2 coming down the pike, I
 believe.  But as POSIX becomes ever more comprehensive, I just wonder if
 we won't see a convergence of OS/2 and UNIX.  The argument over which is a
 better operating system will become a moot point - except that OS/2
 may remain a single-user OS.

 As for RISC, I cannot see how Gates can continue to pinpoint OS/2 to Intel
 80x86 chips when even Intel has announced a RISC chip family.  Gates must
 make OS/2 portable to RISC (and various upcoming CISC chips) or have
 it become a niche OS in short order.   That means an OS/2 kernel
 written in C.

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer) (06/22/89)

In article <624@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM>, gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
>  Gates claims to have a POSIX-conformant OS/2 coming down the pike, I
>  believe.  But as POSIX becomes ever more comprehensive, I just wonder if
>  we won't see a convergence of OS/2 and UNIX.  The argument over which is a
>  better operating system will become a moot point - except that OS/2
>  may remain a single-user OS.

They have promised POSIX conformance because they were losing on so many Federal
jobs that required it.  I recall reading that the POSIX-compatible version was
specifically for Federal jobs.

I suspect it's just an end-run to get proprietary systems sold into contracts
that specified nonproprietary ones.  Almost certainly they hope the users will
start running OS/2-specific stuff, locking the site into OS/2.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"Contemptuous lights flashed across the computer's
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	 console."  -- Hitchhiker's Guide