[comp.misc] Serial Help

protcoop@leibniz.uucp (06/21/89)

This problem does not relate directly to the Amiga, but it is
technical and I do own an Amiga ... besides, I didn't know where
else to post it.

I now have two things that require connection to my serial port
(modem and X10 controller) and this is a problem.  I would like to
build a switch box so that I can connect both devices to it and
JUST FLICK a switch to select one.  Unfortunately I do not really
know how I can do this.  My first thought was to use a couple of
multiplexer chips and multiplex each line ... but I am not sure
if that will allow two way communication.  Also, this would require
each line to be multiplexed.  Do all the lines have to be switched?
Can I just make each line connect to both ports and just have one
line multiplexed ... say a certain line that tells the device he
has the port.  Is there such a line on my serial port?  I read the
description of the pin-outs but did not know what some of the pins
meant.  I would appreciate any input into this.  Thank you.
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (06/23/89)

In article <637@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:

>I now have two things that require connection to my serial port
>(modem and X10 controller) and this is a problem.  I would like to
>build a switch box so that I can connect both devices to it and
>JUST FLICK a switch to select one.  Unfortunately I do not really

Assuming I didn't just go out and buy a switch (they are sort of spendy),
I would use a 4-pole double-throw switch to switch TD (pin 2), RD (pin 3),
DSR (pin 6) and DTR (pin 20) connect pin 7 to both devices. In some cases
you can get by with a double pole double throw, simply omit the DSR and DTR,
connect DTR to DSR on any device that cannot be strapped to ignore them. I
like to have them though, I like my modem to hang up when I drop DTR, either
when I close the serial port, or Amiga gurus, or, in your case, when you
throw the switch and disconnect it.

>meant.  I would appreciate any input into this.  Thank you.

You're welcome, I hope it's not too redundant.

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company       Voice:408-922-7508

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (06/23/89)

In article <637@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:
| I would like to
| build a switch box so that I can connect both devices to it and
| JUST FLICK a switch to select one.  Unfortunately I do not really
| know how I can do this.

Buy a switch box.  About $12 will get you a two position switch box
with all 25 lines switched.  Not the best in the world, but the price
is right.  Plus, it can even be used for the parallel port.  (I
got several from CompuAdd.)

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

In article <637@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:
> I now have two things that require connection to my serial port ...
> I would like to build a switch box so that I can connect both devices
> to it and JUST FLICK a switch to select one.

There are several ways to do this, the easiest is to buy one :-), but
building them is fun too. The simplest way is to get a giant 7 X 3
rotary switch. And wire the port from the Amiga to one pole (using the
7 modem lines, TD, RD, DTR, CTS, RTS, GND, DSR ?) And two mounted
DB25 connectors to the other two poles. Following the conventions of
pin2 to pin2, pin3 to pin3, etc. This will build your basic switch.
Now the various manufacturers have created a market for a PCB mounted
25 X 4 switch that lets you do all the wiring with a simple two sided
Printed circuit board. These have the advantage that they switch all
25 lines so that you can put a MIDI interface or something on one of
the outputs and it will still be powered by the Amiga. Finally, for
the really fancy folks, you can convert the RS232 levels to TTL and
then build a logic based switching network. Using this method I once
designed (but never built :-() a 16 input serial box that would let
you connect any port to any port and change the gender of the output
connector on the fly (DTE or DCE) plus by hooking a bunch of LEDs up
to any of the internal busses you could monitor activity on that bus.
[TTL designer goes wild, film at 11:00]

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (06/24/89)

In article <637@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@leibniz.uucp () writes:

>I now have two things that require connection to my serial port
>(modem and X10 controller) and this is a problem.  I would like to
>build a switch box so that I can connect both devices to it

Alan,
   Why not get a serial expansion card?  -- that is, if you have a 2000.

c^2