Happy Alan Turing's birthday!
(June 23, 1912)

--Ralph Chapman

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (06/28/89)

In article <3029@ihuxy.ATT.COM>, chapman@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Chapman) writes:
> Happy Alan Turing's birthday!
> (June 23, 1912)
>
> --Ralph Chapman

I think this would also be a good time to remember the pain and
suffering that bigotry imposes on the world.  We should all take a
moment to examine our own attitudes and actions.  The best way to
honor Alan Turing is to insure that no person is ever treated as he
was.

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

kencr@haddock.ima.isc.com (Kenny Crudup) (06/29/89)

In article <2759@ssc-vax.UUCP> coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) says:
]I think this would also be a good time to remember the pain and
]suffering that bigotry imposes on the world.  We should all take a
]moment to examine our own attitudes and actions.  The best way to
]honor Alan Turing is to insure that no person is ever treated as he
]was.
]Stephen Coy

Please elaborate....

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Interactive Systems, Cambridge MA
StarTrekV 3'rd favorite line: "Oh yeah?! Beam THIS up, pal!!" - D. Letterman

falk@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (06/29/89)

> In article <2759@ssc-vax.UUCP> coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) says:
> ]I think this would also be a good time to remember the pain and
> ]suffering that bigotry imposes on the world.  We should all take a
> ]moment to examine our own attitudes and actions.  The best way to
> ]honor Alan Turing is to insure that no person is ever treated as he
> ]was.
> ]Stephen Coy
>
> Please elaborate....

Turing was gay.  He stupidly mentioned this to a cop who was investigating
a burglary and was prosecuted for it.  The court convicted him and
sentenced him to "chemical castration"; they put him on drugs that
completely shut down his sex drive.  The drugs had quite a number
of unpleasant side effects, one of which is severe depression.  Turing
committed suicide, probably as a consequence of the drugs.

For the whole story, I *highly* reccomend "The Enigma, Alan Turing"
which is an excelent biography of Turing.  There was also a play, "Breaking
the Code" written about him, also excelent.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (06/30/89)

The real sad thing is that he invented what was needed to break the
German codes and therefore "won" WWII for the Allies.  After the war,
England wasn't willing to admit that a gay person did such a thing,
and therefore was very small on PR about him.  Their silence was then
followed by England looking to go one step further; therefore the
entrapment.

Sure says something about the priorities people had in the '50s.

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

bill@videovax.tv.Tek.com (William K. McFadden) (07/01/89)

In article <3029@ihuxy.ATT.COM> chapman@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Chapman) writes:
->Happy Alan Turing's birthday!
->(June 23, 1912)

... and my son, William Alan McFadden (June 23, 1989).  Sorry, couldn't resist!

--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

kline@arizona.edu (Nick Kline) (07/01/89)

In article <112939@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> falk@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) writes:

>Turing was gay.  He stupidly mentioned this to a cop who was investigating
>a burglary and was prosecuted for it.  The court convicted him and
>sentenced him to "chemical castration"; they put him on drugs that
>completely shut down his sex drive.  The drugs had quite a number
>of unpleasant side effects, one of which is severe depression.  Turing
>committed suicide, probably as a consequence of the drugs.
>
>For the whole story, I *highly* reccomend "The Enigma, Alan Turing"
>which is an excelent biography of Turing.  There was also a play, "Breaking
>the Code" written about him, also excelent.

This play is currently being performed at the Univ. of Arizona by the
Summer Drama Program. Opened to rave reviews ("if you go to one play
this year, you should go to see this one").

It'll be playing July 2, 6 and 8 at 8 pm and July 1, 8 and 9 at 2 pm at
the Drama Bldg., and admission is $5 for students.

---
    "Computer Scientists are at the top of the nerd heap" - Curtis Dyreson

Nick Kline, Univ. of Az., Computer Science, Tucson, AZ 85721
(kline@arizona.edu -or- {noao|allegra|cmcl2}!arizona!kline)

dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (07/01/89)

I agree, both the play and the book are A+.
Just reading his thoughts on such problems as
	How do we boot it up?
are enough to give one great respect for the man.
Of course, society SHOULD be measured by how we treat those we
discard, not those we honor. But looking at Turing, Oppenhimer
{sp} and many others tells us the hard facts.