[comp.misc] Need Info On PC Graphics File Formats

nab@sppy00.UUCP (Neal A. Belair) (06/28/89)

I need enough information on the TIFF graphics file format (used by Aldus
PageMaker) to be able to encode or decode a file using it. I am also
interested in how the following other PC graphics file formats are coded:
MSP (Windows Paint), IMG (GEM Paint), CUT (Dr. HALO) and PCX (PC Paintbrush
Plus). Thanks in advance for any help.
Neal (nab@sppy00.UUCP or ...!osu-cis!sppy00!~nab or (614) 764-6085)

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (06/28/89)

In article <429@sppy00.UUCP> nab@sppy00.UUCP (Neal A. Belair) writes:
>I need enough information on the TIFF graphics file format (used by Aldus
>PageMaker) to be able to encode or decode a file using it.

According to the Editorial in the July 89 issue of Dr. Dobb's:

"If you need the TIFF Library, all isn't lost.  You can now get both the PC
and Mac versions from Image Software Associates.  For $25 ($35 international)
you get documentation (the TIFF standard and a programmer's reference guide),
source code, object files, and demonstration programs.  Make checks or money
orders payable to Image Software Associates, Research and Development,
P.O. Box 1634, Danville, CA 94526.  Don't forget to specify PC or Mac."

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.toronto.edu

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (06/30/89)

I'm also looking for a TIFF specification (no way am I going to
shell out $25, and I'm not particularly interested in either PCs
or Macs).  The *only* contemporary "standard" I've been able to
find is for GIF.
					-=EPS=-

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/08/89)

There's a tiff package available by anonymous FTP from
ucbvax.berkeley.edu as pub/tiff.tar.Z

Look at the README and tiff.h files.

The library will read NeXT compression, but is missing the code
to write it.
					-=EPS=-