[comp.misc] PC-WEEK Article / OS/2 obituary?

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (06/14/89)

From Ted Holden at HTE:

From: Gary Barrett, Unisys Corporation, Devon, PA

>> From Ted Holden, HTE:
>>
>> Unless I'm reading it wrong somehow or other, it's
>> saying that by 1993, Unix will be doing more than double the business
>> of OS-2 like, basically, hey the game's over; Unix is going to win and
>> OS-2 is going to lose, simple as that.

> My own feeling is that OS/2 will hit a quick deadend if it does not
> address the following:  1) POSIX, and  2) RISC.
>
> Gates claims to have a POSIX-conformant OS/2 coming down the pike...

Let's examine both cases.

1)  I am no expert on POSIX, and could easily be off base on this one, but
it seems to me that a POSIX compliant version of OS/2 would have to be called
OS/2-IX or UNIX/2 or some such since it would, in fact, for all intents,
be UNIX, albeit probably a severely ____ed-up version of UNIX.  I mean, a
POSIX manual reads so identically like a UNIX V manual that you assume the
government is merely saying "if you can make your OS function exactly like
UNIX for any and all matters concerning portability (mostly with UNIX systems),
then we might buy it."  And, if it walks like a duck, smells like a duck,
and quacks like a duck.....

2)  RISC?  Microsoft has been trying for two years to get a 386 version of
OS/2 together, apparently with little luck.  Kind of like they can't build
a wagon and you're talking about them building Ferrarris and Maseratis.

What I see really killing OS/2 dead is the following consideration:  that in
the next few years, wherever you go, you'll see mid-sized computers all
running UNIX, database engines (such as the 100 tps Sequent) running UNIX,
workstations like the Suns and Appollos all running UNIX, and scores of 386
and 486 desktop machines, and some poor slob will have to tie all of those
things together.  He's going to think to himself: "Now, do I want those
desktops running OS/2 and me have to deal with two totally different software
worlds forever and with connecting them forever, or would it be simpler
to just run UNIX on everything and use simple uucp connections?"  This
scenario will become the more prevalent as Sequents and machines running
new multi-processor versions of UNIX (the DG or MACH systems for instance)
replace traditional mainframes.

I claim that you don't need to be Albert Einstein to figure this one out.

Ted Holden,
HTE

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (06/28/89)

In article <238@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
>2)  RISC?  Microsoft has been trying for two years to get a 386 version of
>OS/2 together, apparently with little luck.  Kind of like they can't build
>a wagon and you're talking about them building Ferrarris and Maseratis.

Microsoft is currently translating the 100 000+ lines of 286 assembly
language to C so that they can port it to the 80386, never mind
future RISC machines. Microsoft will probably be trying for another
2 years before a 386 version arrives.

>What I see really killing OS/2 dead is the following consideration:  that in
>the next few years, wherever you go, you'll see mid-sized computers all
>running UNIX, database engines (such as the 100 tps Sequent) running UNIX,
>workstations like the Suns and Appollos all running UNIX, and scores of 386
>and 486 desktop machines, and some poor slob will have to tie all of those
>things together.  He's going to think to himself: "Now, do I want those
>desktops running OS/2 and me have to deal with two totally different software
>worlds forever and with connecting them forever, or would it be simpler
>to just run UNIX on everything and use simple uucp connections?"

I second this. IBM appears to be having the same feelings because
AIX (or future OSF derivative) is AVAILABLE NOW on everything
above (and including?) a PS/2. What possible benefit would OS/2
give to users that AIX (or XENIX) with a NeXT windowing
environment (which IBM has licensed from Next Inc.) wouldn't satisfy?
DOS programs? Yea, right. People are figuring out
that they will have to buy new software for OS/2 regardless, so
they are choosing their next platform with much more care.
The availability of UNIX on many machines, with its
maturity and wealth of software (networking/e-mail/etc.)
must certainly tip the scales AWAY from OS/2.

//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////
"I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" -U2

Unfortunately, Ted, the poor slob who has to make OS/2 and UNIX interact
isn't the guy who authorises expenditures. That guy doesn't generally
know OS/2 from UNIX. He just knows which opens windows the fastest and
looks nicest... and which has more software. Whether he needs that software
or not is a different matter.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (07/01/89)

In article <14774@watdragon.waterloo.edu> afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:

>I second this. IBM appears to be having the same feelings because
>AIX (or future OSF derivative) is AVAILABLE NOW on everything
>above (and including?) a PS/2. What possible benefit would OS/2
>give to users that AIX (or XENIX) with a NeXT windowing
>environment (which IBM has licensed from Next Inc.) wouldn't satisfy?
>DOS programs? Yea, right.

Even if DOS programs were a reason, AIX (and XENIX I believe) supports
DOS Merge.  I have used this extensively (on my PS/2 running AIX), and found
no problems.  I am running SmoothTalk, a terminal emulation and file
transfer program that I wrote, under DOS Merge.  SmoothTalk is very ill
behaved, writing directly to the display, manipulating the COM hardware,
etc.  It runs perfectly so long as I tell AIX to let it access the serial
port.  If I don't tell AIX this, SmoothTalk complains that there is no
serial hardware, which to all intents and purposes, there isn't as far
as DOS is concerned.  All in all, DOS Merge seems extremely well implemented.

Not that I think that people SHOULD be running DOS programs under *IX

Stefan Vorkoetter
Waterloo Maple Software
watmath!wmsimum!stefan

ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Brown) (07/04/89)

In article <238@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
>What I see really killing OS/2 dead is the following consideration:  that in
>the next few years, wherever you go, you'll see mid-sized computers all
>running UNIX, database engines (such as the 100 tps Sequent) running UNIX,
>workstations like the Suns and Appollos all running UNIX, and scores of 386
>and 486 desktop machines, and some poor slob will have to tie all of those
>things together.  He's going to think to himself: "Now, do I want those
>desktops running OS/2 and me have to deal with two totally different software
>worlds forever and with connecting them forever, or would it be simpler
>to just run UNIX on everything and use simple uucp connections?"  This
>scenario will become the more prevalent as Sequents and machines running
>new multi-processor versions of UNIX (the DG or MACH systems for instance)
>replace traditional mainframes.

No, what I think you'll see is IBM mainframes talking to IBM minis
talking to IBM desktops, and some poor slob is going to have to tie all
of those things together, and he's going to think to himself: "Now, do I
want those desktops running OS/2 and *IBM* having to deal with 3 totally
different software worlds forever, or would it be simpler to just run
UNIX on the desktops and have to connect them together myself?"  The IBM
mainframes are *NOT* going away, and IBM *is* delivering the goods to
make everything talk together (granted, talking SNA/3270 simulation, but
talking).

And uucp is by *no* means simple to administrate or effective to use
(compared to real remote file systems).

Eric.

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (07/04/89)

In article <6221@microsoft.UUCP> ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Brown) writes:
>In article <238@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
<stuff about os/2 being/is dead>
>mainframes are *NOT* going away, and IBM *is* delivering the goods to

                                           ^
                                          /|\

Your just trying to funny and sarcastic right?
ibm has had a history of screwing people over since the 60's.
and they'll do it again when they need some more cash.
if (ibm = need_money)
  ibm_customer_screwed = TRUE
I won't comment about micro-soft and they're bang up job on os/2.
--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
****I only play DISC GOLF and drink tea****

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (07/04/89)

In article <6221@microsoft.UUCP> ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Brown) writes:
->In article <238@imspw6.UUCP-> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
->->What I see really killing OS/2 dead is the following consideration:  that in
->->the next few years, wherever you go, you'll see mid-sized computers all
->->running UNIX, database engines (such as the 100 tps Sequent) running UNIX,
[deleted stuff]
->->
->No, what I think you'll see is IBM mainframes talking to IBM minis
->talking to IBM desktops, and some poor slob is going to have to tie all
->of those things together, and he's going to think to himself: "Now, do I
->want those desktops running OS/2 and *IBM* having to deal with 3 totally
->different software worlds forever, or would it be simpler to just run
->UNIX on the desktops and have to connect them together myself?"  The IBM
->mainframes are *NOT* going away, and IBM *is* delivering the goods to
->make everything talk together (granted, talking SNA/3270 simulation, but
->talking).

Obviously this scenario can only function in a world where mainframes reign.
Is it then that OS/2 has been relegated to Fortune 1000 firms? Why is it then
that IBM 'reluctantly' has endorsed (Unix) AIX all across its boxes?

I believe for everything but the 400 there will be a similar operating
environment.  I suppose that is because the 400 will also be used out there in
small computer land where little independent mini users can't be let off the
hook just yet.  That is the System 36 world is it not?  RPG and all.

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to wish to go with one operating system all
across the line if we really want to pursue the line of one vendor thinking.
And we don't expect a mainframe OS/2 just yet, right? Or maybe on a variety of
present and future RISC machines that will most likely serve in the capacity
alluded to here.
Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (07/06/89)

In article <14774@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:

| ...IBM appears to be having the same feelings because
| AIX (or future OSF derivative) is AVAILABLE NOW on everything
| above (and including?) a PS/2...

No.  It's available on a few, promised on some more, but certainly not
available on all.

While I'm at it, consider the wording of the quoted sentence...how can a
"future derivative" be "AVAILABLE NOW"???
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

jcg@tree.UUCP (John Gonnerman) (07/10/89)

In article <3926@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) writes:
> In article <6221@microsoft.UUCP> ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Brown) writes:
> >In article <238@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
> >mainframes are *NOT* going away, and IBM *is* delivering the goods to

> if (ibm = need_money)
>   ibm_customer_screwed = TRUE

Is this a bug?  Or did they design it that way?  Hmmm, makes a guy wonder...

--
              __    |            -- John C. Gonnerman --
          \__/ __   |  ..!ucbvax!pasteur!ames!pacbell!sactoh0!tree!jcg