[comp.misc] Ten Commandments of Personal Computing

gail@well.UUCP (Gail Gurman) (07/15/89)

From San Jose Mercury News, Sunday morning, July 2, 1989

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PERSONAL COMPUTING
by Paul Andrews

     From congressional hallways to corporate board rooms nation-
wide, ethics  are under  scrutiny as  never before.   The  choice
between right and wrong today has become increasingly complex and
agonizing where large  sums of cash are  involved--especially for
politicians and brokers.

     How about personal  computer users?   Is our  honor code  as
bug-free as our  program code?  When  we talk about the  need for
standards, should we  be addressing the  ethical kind as well  as
buses and operating systems?

     The issues  is worth  rasing because  the personal  computer
world, still  misunderstood  by many,  has generated  its set  of
ethical issues without formulating  a clear set of rules  to live
by.   More  quandaries seem  to  be emerging  all the  time, from
computer viruses to non-disclosure violations  to "look and feel"
disputes.

     The camaraderie and  idea-swapping that  marked much of  the
personal computer's early evolution  seems  in the wake of secre-
cy,  lawsuits  and patent  claims,  relegated to  rosy nostalgia.
Because there's so much money involved, and humans have a tenden-
cy to be  greedy, the ethical  stakes keep getting nudged  higher
even as courtrooms overflow with high-tech cases.

     But not all human endeavor can be legislated.  So perhaps it
is  time to  adopt a computer  code of honor  blending ethics and
etiquette.

     In that spirit, here are 10 Commandments of Personal Comput-
ing "Ethiquette" Version 1.0, issued from a word processor rather
than a mountaintop and  inscribed on a magnetic disk  rather than
tablets of stone.

     And be warned:  Moses wasn't around for this.

I.   THOU SHALT NOT USE A PROGRAM THOU HAST NOT PAID FOR.

     Most of us use our computers for some sort of personal gain,
e.g., saving time or making money.  We ought to be willing to pay
for that  benefit in the same  way we would a lawn  mower, VCR or
even shiatsu massage.   The difference is that we know we can get
away with  "borrowed" software.   Ultimately,  though, it's  like
skimming from your  child's trust fund--perhaps  no one else  may
know, but eventually the bad karma will get you.

II.  THOU  SHALT NOT FEEL GUILTY  ABOUT BORROWING SOFTWARE TO TRY
     IT OUT.

     Software still  costs plenty  and doesn't  always match  its
glowing promises.  If you pay  $495 for Softhead Plus Version 5.0
and it  doesn't  automatically recalculate  your  fantasy  league
batting averages while listing every known sighting of Elvis, you
feel cheated.  But try asking for your money back.

     I  may get  in trouble  with software  purveyors  for saying
this,  and perhaps I'm naive, but I  feel it's OK to test drive a
program borrowed from a friend, under  the assumption that if you
like  it and wind  up using it, you'll  buy it.   The key here is
_using_ it.  Few people mind paying for a really good program.

III. THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS ON BULLETIN BOARDS.

     This includes using phony  names.  In years of  logging onto
electronic bulletin boards  nationwide, I've  never used a  false
"handle" or  someone else's  identity.   Often while  researching
articles, I've left my phone number or address.  And as  a result
I haven't had to suffer any system crashes, junk mail or midnight
visits from the  IRS.  If you've got something to hide, you don't
belong on public-address boards in the first place.

IV.  THOU SHALT NOT  BE STINGY  OR ARROGANT WITH  THY ADVICE  AND
     ASSISTANCE.

     The more people who  compute, the better off the  world will
be.   But many novice users are soured  on computers by the unre-
sponsiveness and outright  rudeness of many an  experienced user.
If someone asks "What does 'Abort,  Retry or Ignore' mean?" don't
tell them  to do a system reboot.   Find out what the problem is,
and walk them through the steps required to fix it.

     We've all gotten  calls in  the middle of  dinner with  some
unimaginable problem.  My  favorite (or worst) was the one from a
co-worker who had  inserted a floppy  disk in the slot  _between_
two half-height drives (not a pleasant thing to undo).  Be a good
Samaritan--ask  them  for a  convenient  time to  call  back, and
you'll save two souls from computer  hell, your friend's and your
own.

V.   THOU SHALT NOT INJECT VIRUSES INTO THY NEIGHBOR'S EQUIPMENT.

     Thou knowest who thou  art.  We all pray thou  shalt grow up
someday  to be  an  honest, contributing,  happy  citizen of  the
world.

VI.  THOU SHALT NOT TREAT WOMEN AS COMPUTER INFERIORS.

     Women feel excluded  from computerdom today--partly  because
boys hog  computers in schools and partly because computer termi-
nology is macho and intimidating  ("fatal error," "illegal device
name," "invalid device parameters," for example).   But woman are
shortchanged of the  benefits of  computers mostly because  males
tend to treat  computers as their private domain.   I'm as guilty
as the  next guy--even  when  helping my  wife  I find  my  voice
gaining a testy edge.

     Guys, we need to lighten up.  Think of it this way:  If your
boss wanted a hand setting up  dBASE IV (and your boss is  male),
would you ask _him_ if it was to keep recipes on?

[Note:   I have  a problem  with this  one.   For one  thing, the
author is apparently writing  to a male audience.  Also,  while I
agree  that  he is  essentially right  about  why many  women are
excluded from "computerdom", I think  he disregards the number of
women who ARE full card-carrying citizens of computerdom.  End of
speech. -- G.G.]

VII. THOU SHALT SUPPORT THY FAVORITE BULLETIN BOARD SYSTEM.

     Bulletin boards are among the most altruistic things person-
al  computing has given to society.  Uploading software, partici-
pating in  message forums and even  sending in a little  cash now
and then seem small things to ask in return.

VIII. THOU SHALT MIND THY P'S AND Q'S AND TLA'S.

     Computer culture is suffering from a severe case of initial-
itis.  At first the shorthand was manageable:  CP/M, ROM and RAM,
CPU and CRT had easily  identifiable (albeit not readily explain-
able) concept attached to them.

     Today, it's alphabet  soup gone wild:   DTP, TSR, EMS,  DVI,
CAD and CAM, FAX and VAX, CGA, EGA, VGA, OS/2, PS/2, MCA--are you
still with  me?  OK,  then how about:   EGD, GUI, QBE,  SQL, DSP,
AIX, LAN, RSI ... YGU? (You give up?)

     We're starting  to sound  like small-town  bureaucrats.   Do
your part to  fight TLA proliferation.   (TLA, of course,  stands
for Three-Letter Abbreviations.)

IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES

     With  the  growing  use  of  electronic mail  and  computers
connected in office networks, the issue of personal file integri-
ty is gaining  attention.  The  policy here is good  citizenship.
Would you open a letter addressed to someone else?  Why should it
be any different with a personal computer file?

X.   THOU SHALT LOVE THY COMPUTER AS THYSELF.

     The way we use our computers speaks volumes about the way we
view  ourselves.  If you  feel good about  yourself, you will use
the computer to further  your ideals and enhance humankind.   If,
on the other hand,  you are using your computer  toward deceitful
ends, your conscience will eventually resemble a toxic-waste dump
site.  Information is neutral--only people can decide its morali-
ty.

     Follow these commandments, and even  though you walk through
the Valley of the Shadow of Silicon,  you will fear no evil.  For
thy PC will be with thee,  thy fax board and modem shall  comfort
thee, and thou shalt dwell in the land of I/O forever.

dsill@ark1.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (07/15/89)

In article <12702@well.UUCP> gail@well.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:
>From San Jose Mercury News, Sunday morning, July 2, 1989
>
>THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PERSONAL COMPUTING
>by Paul Andrews

Reprinted without permission.  Well, I guess that's OK as long as you
buy the paper if you decide to *use* the posting.

 >  :
 >VI.  THOU SHALT NOT TREAT WOMEN AS COMPUTER INFERIORS.
 >
 >  :
 >
 >     Guys, we need to lighten up.  Think of it this way:  If your
 >boss wanted a hand setting up  dBASE IV (and your boss is  male),
 >would you ask _him_ if it was to keep recipes on?
 >
 >[Note:   I have  a problem  with this  one.   For one  thing, the
 >author is apparently writing  to a male audience.  Also,  while I
 >agree  that  he is  essentially right  about  why many  women are
 >excluded from "computerdom", I think  he disregards the number of
 >women who ARE full card-carrying citizens of computerdom.  End of
 >speech. -- G.G.]

Of course he's writing to a male audience.  That's what the "Guys..."
is intended to indicate.  He's not trying to convince *women* not to
discriminate against women...

 >  :
 >VIII. THOU SHALT MIND THY P'S AND Q'S AND TLA'S.
 >
 >  :
 >     We're starting  to sound  like small-town  bureaucrats.   Do
 >your part to  fight TLA proliferation.   (TLA, of course,  stands
 >for Three-Letter Abbreviations.)

TLA, of course, stands for Three-Letter *Acronymn*.
--
Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (07/16/89)

In <12702@well.UUCP> gail@well.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:

 > From San Jose Mercury News, Sunday morning, July 2, 1989
 >
 > THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PERSONAL COMPUTING
 > by Paul Andrews
 >
 > III. THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS ON BULLETIN BOARDS.
 >
 >      This includes using phony  names.  In years of  logging onto
 > electronic bulletin boards  nationwide, I've  never used a  false
 > "handle" or  someone else's  identity.   [...]

Gads, I wish some people wouldn't get so uptight about other people's
nicknames.  My name is David Charles Lawrence, (518)273-5385, living
at 76 1/2 13th St in Troy NY 12180.  I've never ever tried to hide
such information about myself, though I frequent some interactive
conferencing systems as "Tale" and many people know me that way.  Many
people know me as "Dave".  That isn't my given name either, just some
socially-accepted contraction of it.  Is it "false"?  I don't much
care if you think it is because the other information that is
apparently desired is right at hand.  When I get on a system and see a
"Paul Andrews" how is that really any different from seeing "Sue D
Nymme" or "Anon Y Mouse"?  From where I sit, I've just got a name with
which to associate some ideas.

 > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
 >
 >      With  the  growing  use  of  electronic mail  and  computers
 > connected in office networks, the issue of personal file integri-
 > ty is gaining  attention.  The  policy here is good  citizenship.
 > Would you open a letter addressed to someone else?  Why should it
 > be any different with a personal computer file?

Would I open a letter addressed to someone else?  Overlooking odd
circumstances (ie, mail to my dead grandfather), no.  Why should it be
any different with computer files?  Because they aren't bloody mail!
Ok, some of it is and I fully recognize that some people want to keep
it private.  Fine.  The fact that I keep my Mail directory and the
files is contains as world readable is merely a statement to the few
members of society that happen to trip through it.  I've only had to
restrict access to one message recently because someone in his
generosity to help me with a problem mailed me his password.

This further illustrates the point though.  Some one recently wanted
me to help him with a problem he was having.  I went to look at the
file which was probably the source of the problem and found out I
didn't have read access to it.  It was just his bloody .rninit!  No
state secrets.  No lurid stories.  Just swiches to configure rn the
way he likes to us it.  Too many times I come up against this. Someone
wants help with a problem he is having at login but I can't look at
his login script without su'ing to do it.  Someone else wanted help
with her emacs initialization file and that was not easily accessed.
I stumbled across some neat icons in a user's directory and couldn't
look at them until I asked the person to permit them accordingly.  She
was much obliged and thought it was great that someone else wanted to
see her artwork.

If you've got something to hide, go ahead and hide it.  Save yourself
from the consequences.  I am really opposed to this fellow telling me
that I am practising immoral computer activity, though.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (07/17/89)

In article <TALE.89Jul15133947@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
} > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
} >
}
}Would I open a letter addressed to someone else?  Overlooking odd
}circumstances (ie, mail to my dead grandfather), no.  Why should it be
}any different with computer files?  Because they aren't bloody mail!

OK, do you feel free to roam through your colleagues
offices/desks/briefcases/cars/floppy files just because they're not under lock
and key?

}If you've got something to hide, go ahead and hide it.  Save yourself
}from the consequences.  I am really opposed to this fellow telling me
}that I am practising immoral computer activity, though.

Sorry, by my book that kind of behavior is frowned upon in almost EVERY
other venue:  if it ain't yours, the default is you need
permission/invitation; why should your treatment of my computer files
be any different.  I don't see why you think there ought to be a
distinction between listing of files in my attache case, backup copies
of files in a floppyfile on my desk, and the real files on-line.  Or do
you think it is OK to 'poke around' in all three places for whatever
you feel like finding?

  /bernie\

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (07/18/89)

In article <42793@bbn.COM> you write:
> In article <TALE.89Jul15133947@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
> } > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
> } >
> } >      With  the  growing  use  of  electronic mail  and  computers
> } > connected in office networks, the issue of personal file integri-
> } > ty is gaining  attention.  The  policy here is good  citizenship.
> } > Would you open a letter addressed to someone else?  Why should it
> } > be any different with a personal computer file?
> }
> }Would I open a letter addressed to someone else?  Overlooking odd
> }circumstances (ie, mail to my dead grandfather), no.  Why should it be
> }any different with computer files?  Because they aren't bloody mail!
>
> OK, do you feel free to roam through your colleagues
> offices/desks/briefcases/cars/floppy files just because they're not under lock
> and key?

Most people who discuss this overlook one fact in their analogies:  When you
look through someone's directory, the owner probably doesn't know that you
are doing so and can't really find out.  (I'm not talking about contrived
cases of world-readable log files and such things here.)

When your office (car, briefcase, desk) is left open or your floppies lying
around, someone looking for things in them stands a chance (perhaps high,
perhaps low) of being caught.  There are people walking past my office all
the time; a snoop will probably be caught either by a co-worker or by me.
Of course, anyone pondering snooping through my stuff must first consider
his chances of being caught and the consequences that he could face.

Someone browsing through my files for whatever purposes, nefarious or not,
will probably not be caught.  Even if he is, I have little legal or political
recourse.

Someone suggested that it's unethical to look through a nai"ve user's files
because he may not know about permissions, encryption, and such things.  This
is correct.  However, it clouds the issue.  I look only at the files of
UNIXackers whom I know to be aware of security issues.

I don't mind when others look through my files.  Files that I don't want read
I hide.  (And highly confidential files I don't even keep around on a computer
accessible to others.)  Read permission from me is implicit permission from me
to everyone else to read, copy, &c, the file bearing the permission.
(Naturally, any copyright or other messages apply.)

At times, I probably forget to deny permissions on files hastily created.
Again, I'm prepared to take on any damages that I suffer because of this.
But this is where the ethics issue comes in.  Everyone knows that no one
intends for a directory of love letters or tax information to be spread all
over the net--or even seen by some malicious local user.  Although I would
lock such things, I wouldn't rummage through them in someone else's unlocked
directory.

					--Scott

Scott Horne                              Hacker-in-Chief, Yale CS Dept Facility
horne@cs.Yale.edu                         ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
Home: 203 789-0877     SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
Work: 203 432-1260              Summer residence:  175 Dwight St, New Haven, CT
Dare I speak for the amorphous gallimaufry of intellectual thought called Yale?

gordon@sneaky.UUCP (Gordon Burditt) (07/18/89)

In article <12702@well.UUCP> gail@well.UUCP (Gail Gurman) writes:
>From San Jose Mercury News, Sunday morning, July 2, 1989
>THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PERSONAL COMPUTING
>by Paul Andrews
>
>I.   THOU SHALT NOT USE A PROGRAM THOU HAST NOT PAID FOR.

This guy has apparently never heard of non-commercial software.
How come it's immoral for me to run MY OWN software (something I WROTE)?
And how about software for which no payment is asked?  There is lots
of it around, and it's often better than the commercial stuff.
The author has no objection, why should anyone else?

					Gordon L. Burditt
					...!texbell!sneaky!gordon

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/19/89)

I like to think things like my .profile/.login files are useful
and instructive, hence I always leave them readable.  I would not
appreciate someone mindlessly copying something they didn't
understand.  But there's a lot of "so THAT's how you do that" in
most timesharing systems.

Yes, you can run a large user base with "no file protection."  I
was a Nonconsortium Macsyma User until MIT-MC "went out of
business."  It requires a different attitude: cooperation.  I
consider it one of most significant influences on my system
management style: the machine's #1 priority is its own uptime.
What you do to each other ... is your responsibility.

Will the machine rat on you?  You bet.  Will it stand in the way
of legitimate activity?  Not if I can help it.  "No security" is
infinitely preferable to bungled security.  The vast majority of
systems I've seen have bungled security.  There were a lot of
times when I was hacking on something at 6:30 p.m. on a Friday ...
only to be screwed until Monday because someone else "forgot" to
make something essential available.

You've got to have trust.
					-=EPS=-

ckd@bucsb.UUCP (Christopher Davis) (07/19/89)

In article <66667@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) writes:
- In article <42793@bbn.COM> you write:
- > In article <TALE.89Jul15133947@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
- > } > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
- [ . . . ]
- Most people who discuss this overlook one fact in their analogies:  When you
- look through someone's directory, the owner probably doesn't know that you
- are doing so and can't really find out.  (I'm not talking about contrived
- cases of world-readable log files and such things here.)
- [ . . . ]
- I don't mind when others look through my files.  Files that I don't want read
- I hide. (And highly confidential files I don't even keep around on a computer
- accessible to others.) Read permission from me is implicit permission from me
- to everyone else to read, copy, &c, the file bearing the permission.
- (Naturally, any copyright or other messages apply.)

I have a READ-ME! file in my directory spelling things out.
Basically, I either lock things I don't want people reading (RMAIL &
RMAIL~ are the top two) or toss 'em in a "lock" directory if I don't
even want them knowing the filenames, and in READ-ME! give them
blanket permission to poke around.  It simplifies things nicely.

- At times, I probably forget to deny permissions on files hastily created.

Have I ever done this?  Sure--as someone here at BU knows quite well. :-)

- Again, I'm prepared to take on any damages that I suffer because of this.
- But this is where the ethics issue comes in.  Everyone knows that no one
- intends for a directory of love letters or tax information to be spread all
- over the net--or even seen by some malicious local user.  Although I would
- lock such things, I wouldn't rummage through them in someone else's unlocked
- directory.

And in the instance I alluded to, I was notified (in a private
message) that the person involved had found an "interesting" file.  It
wasn't anything particularly sensitive, but was something that could
have been mis-interpreted; the information in it was all from various
public places.  I think the other person acted fully appropriately in
this case--and I hope most people would.

- 					--Scott
--
  /\  | /  |\  @bu-pub.bu.edu <preferred>  | Christopher K. Davis, BU SMG '90
 /    |/   | \ %bu-pub.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu |      uses standardDisclaimer;

ckd@bucsbXE12J$xP (Christopher Davis) (07/19/89)

Org

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (07/19/89)

In article <66667@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) writes:
<In article <42793@bbn.COM> you write:
<> In article <TALE.89Jul15133947@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
<> } > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
<>
<
<Most people who discuss this overlook one fact in their analogies:  When you
<look through someone's directory, the owner probably doesn't know that you
<are doing so and can't really find out.  (I'm not talking about contrived
<cases of world-readable log files and such things here.)
<
<When your office (car, briefcase, desk) is left open or your floppies lying
<around, someone looking for things in them stands a chance (perhaps high,
<perhaps low) of being caught.  There are people walking past my office all
<the time; a snoop will probably be caught either by a co-worker or by me.
<Of course, anyone pondering snooping through my stuff must first consider
<his chances of being caught and the consequences that he could face.

Right! Since you can't get caught snooping on a computer, it most be
OK.

Why do I feel sick...

	<mike
--
Es brillig war. Die schlichte Toven			Mike Meyer
Wirrten und wimmelten in Waben;				mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <294@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
<There were a lot of
<times when I was hacking on something at 6:30 p.m. on a Friday ...
<only to be screwed until Monday because someone else "forgot" to
<make something essential available.
<
<You've got to have trust.

This is the best reason in the world for _not_ making a habit of
snooping through peoples files at random. If you know that people will
only go through your files for things they need, you're a lot more
likely to leave things unprotected by default.

On the other hand, there's the dimwit who did "ls -R / | lpr" on one
of my systems today, thus grabbing a laser printer for hours. Didn't
even have the courtesy to do "find '' | lpr".

	<mike
--
Must have walked those streets for hours,		Mike Meyer
In the dark and in the cold,				mwm@berkeley.edu

andys@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Andy Sherman) (07/22/89)

In article <TALE.89Jul15133947@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu>, tale@pawl (David C Lawrence) writes:
> > IX.  THOU SHALT NOT SNOOP IN THY NEIGHBOR'S FILES
> >
> >      With  the  growing  use  of  electronic mail  and  computers
> > connected in office networks, the issue of personal file integri-
> > ty is gaining  attention.  The  policy here is good  citizenship.
> > Would you open a letter addressed to someone else?  Why should it
> > be any different with a personal computer file?
>
>Would I open a letter addressed to someone else?  Overlooking odd
>circumstances (ie, mail to my dead grandfather), no.  Why should it be
>any different with computer files?  Because they aren't bloody mail!
>Ok, some of it is and I fully recognize that some people want to keep
>it private.  Fine.  The fact that I keep my Mail directory and the
>files is contains as world readable is merely a statement to the few
>members of society that happen to trip through it.  I've only had to
>restrict access to one message recently because someone in his
>generosity to help me with a problem mailed me his password.

I administer systems in an R&D lab.  I consider a user's home
directory to be an extension of his/her filing cabinet.  One does not
rifle through it uninvited without a Real Good Reason, even if it is
unlocked for convenience.  I take a dim view of people tromping
through other people's directories without permission, and I
especially take a dim view of other super-users looking in my few
unreadable directories uninvited.  We have suspended accounts here for
the sin of copying sources out of another users home directory and
uucp'ing it to another system.  Yes, we could have said, "this
stuff is moderately sensitive, so we will put paranoid permissions on
it" but that would have make life inconvenient for our users.  Much
better to get rid of the anti-social elements then create an
anti-social environment in response.

>If you've got something to hide, go ahead and hide it.  Save yourself
>from the consequences.  I am really opposed to this fellow telling me
>that I am practising immoral computer activity, though.

I think common sense applies.  I used vague terms like uninvited and
Real Good Reason.  Local practice will dictate what these terms mean.
If your colleague is on vacation and the sources for something you're
doing together are in his/her directory, that is a Real Good Reason.
On the other hand, uninvited browsing for curiousity's sake is not.
I'd call that immoral.
--
Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ           *NEW ADDRESS*
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928                                      *NEW PHONE*

dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (07/25/89)

In article <11917@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, andys@ulysses (Andy Sherman) writes:
 >...  We have suspended accounts here for
 >the sin of copying sources out of another users home directory and
 >uucp'ing it to another system.

Whatever policy your administrators decide on is fine, but I'd hope
you have a requirement that new users be made aware of this rule.

eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) (08/01/89)

Scott Horne hit it on the head: read permission to my files is
implicit permission to browse.  I occasionally remind my professional
colleagues that if they think there is something useful to them among
my letters, logs, programs, indexes, and trivia, then they should by
all means make use of it.

I work with professional software people, and Scott's approach is our
rule of thumb among ourselves:  if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).

--Eben

+================================+================================+
|  Eben R. S. Visher             |  sun.com!sacto!mmsac!eben      |
|  Project Manager               |  {uunet,sun!sacto}!mmsac!eben  |
|  Martin Marietta Data Systems  |  day:   (916) 929-8864         |
|  1770 Tribute Road, 2nd floor  |  vmail: (916) 441-8137         |
|  Sacramento, CA 95815          |  fax:   (916) 395-2135         |
+================================+================================+

--

--Eben

jde@unify.UUCP (Jeff Evarts) (08/01/89)

In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
>Scott Horne hit it on the head: read permission to my files is
>implicit permission to browse.

I disagree, but what follows is what I really contest...

>[...] if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
>DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
>to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).

Okay, there are no smileys here, so I'm assuming you meant what you said.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is frankly rediculous. This kind of "If I CAN do it,
it must be OK with you" attitude is a real problem in today's computer
industry. Gee, With an attitude like that, worms & viruses are completely
allright, because you were stupid enough to have an insecure system The
idea that I would have to encrypt a file to keep a coworker out of it
really scares me. This is not the way things should be run. Just because
you didn't lock your door, it's okay for me to come inside and watch TV
in your house? BULL! (My excuse: Well, you didn't stop me, and I wasn't
hurting anything...)

>--Eben
>
>+================================+================================+
>|  Eben R. S. Visher             |  sun.com!sacto!mmsac!eben      |
>|  Project Manager               |  {uunet,sun!sacto}!mmsac!eben  |
>|  Martin Marietta Data Systems  |  day:   (916) 929-8864         |
>|  1770 Tribute Road, 2nd floor  |  vmail: (916) 441-8137         |
>|  Sacramento, CA 95815          |  fax:   (916) 395-2135         |
>+================================+================================+

Sorry if this was more flame than opinion,

-amarth
(jde@unify)

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/01/89)

In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
<I work with professional software people, and Scott's approach is our
<rule of thumb among ourselves:  if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
<DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
<to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).

This is a perfectly reasonable rule for a group to adopt. However,
that doesn't mean that it's universal, or that it should be. There are
places where that attitude will get you into trouble.

And that's the whole point: unless you know what the house rules are,
and _know_ that everyone else understands those rules, then randomly
browsing someones files is wrong.

	<mike

--
[Our regularly scheduled .signature preempted.]		Mike Meyer
The Amiga 1000: Let's build _the_ hackers machine.	mwm@berkeley.edu

Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (08/01/89)

In article <1005@unify.UUCP>, jde@unify (Jeff Evarts) writes:
> In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
> >Scott Horne hit it on the head: read permission to my files is
> >implicit permission to browse.
>
> I disagree, but what follows is what I really contest...

I don't.  :-)

> >[...] if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
> >DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
> >to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).
>
> Okay, there are no smileys here, so I'm assuming you meant what you said.
> ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is frankly rediculous. This kind of "If I CAN do it,
> it must be OK with you" attitude is a real problem in today's computer
> industry.

I see what you mean, but I don't think that Eben Visher meant that.  It seems
that that remark about `crypt' was made as a warning about security, not as a
suggestion that people should be allowed to browse ~/personal/top_secret.crypt
just because the decryption method is well-known.

> The
> idea that I would have to encrypt a file to keep a coworker out of it
> really scares me. This is not the way things should be run.

Does the idea that you should have to use a password scare you?  How about the
idea that you should have to lock your door?  Take your keys out of the car?
Seal your envelopes?  Hide your valuables?

					--Scott

Scott Horne                     Undergraduate programmer, Yale CS Dept Facility

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/02/89)

In article <68274@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
}In article <1005@unify.UUCP>, jde@unify (Jeff Evarts) writes:
}> In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
}> >[...] if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
}> >DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
}> >to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).
}>
}> Okay, there are no smileys here, so I'm assuming you meant what you said.
}> ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is frankly rediculous. This kind of "If I CAN do it,
}> it must be OK with you" attitude is a real problem in today's computer
}> industry.
}
}I see what you mean, but I don't think that Eben Visher meant that.  It seems
}that that remark about `crypt' was made as a warning about security, not as a
}suggestion that people should be allowed to browse ~/personal/top_secret.crypt
}just because the decryption method is well-known.

That's not what he said: what he *said* was that if it has read access
you can *expect* people to feel free to browse.  That if you encrypt it
you can *expect* people to try to crack the encryption.... sounds like
a nice professional place to work.  And the implication about
encryption was even more ominous: it says that in HIS shop. *so* many
people have root/operator/whateverforhisopsys privileges that you can't
even trust PERMISSIONS!  [if you think there is some other way to
interpret that, you or he can let me know].

}> The
}> idea that I would have to encrypt a file to keep a coworker out of it
}> really scares me. This is not the way things should be run.
}
}Does the idea that you should have to use a password scare you?  How about the
}idea that you should have to lock your door?  Take your keys out of the car?
}Seal your envelopes?  Hide your valuables?

Yeah, it does... I don't think I could work at a place that requires
the kind of aggressive paranoia that Eben apparently engenders and
encourages in his shop.  I don't lock my office door much, I don't
tamper-proof-seal interoffice memos, I don't have the hifi in my office
bolted down to its table.  That EVERY time I take my eyes off of my
attache case I can be assured taht some will be seeing if they can pick
the lock; that every time I step out of my office I can expect that
unless I lock my desk someone will rifle through it to see if there is
anything interesting (and heaven forfend I should leave my attache
case, or desk, or office door unlocked -- that means 'open season',
right?).  What is so special about a person's computer files that
doesn't entitle them to the same respect and privacy that you would
give to anything else of theirs?

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (08/02/89)

In article <43611@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> In article <68274@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
> }In article <1005@unify.UUCP>, jde@unify (Jeff Evarts) writes:
> }> In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
> }> >[...] if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
> }> >DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
> }> >to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).
> }>
> }> Okay, there are no smileys here, so I'm assuming you meant what you said.
> }> ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is frankly rediculous. This kind of "If I CAN do it,
> }> it must be OK with you" attitude is a real problem in today's computer
> }> industry.
> }
> }I see what you mean, but I don't think that Eben Visher meant that.  It seems
> }that that remark about `crypt' was made as a warning about security, not as a
> }suggestion that people should be allowed to browse ~/personal/top_secret.crypt
> }just because the decryption method is well-known.
>
> That's not what he said: what he *said* was that....

See above:  ``I don't think that Eben Visher meant that.''  He may have, in
which case I misconstrued his intent and agree with you (Bernie).

> }> The
> }> idea that I would have to encrypt a file to keep a coworker out of it
> }> really scares me. This is not the way things should be run.
> }
> }Does the idea that you should have to use a password scare you?  How about the
> }idea that you should have to lock your door?  Take your keys out of the car?
> }Seal your envelopes?  Hide your valuables?
>
> Yeah, it does... I don't think I could work at a place that requires
> the kind of aggressive paranoia that Eben apparently engenders and
> encourages in his shop.  I don't lock my office door much, I don't
> tamper-proof-seal interoffice memos, I don't have the hifi in my office
> bolted down to its table.

Neither do I.

Do you lock the front door of your house, or do you leave it open?  Do you
take your car keys with you, or do you leave them in the ignition with the
door unlocked?  Do you seal envelopes or leave them open?  Do you use a
password, or can I `telnet' to `bbn.com' and log in as cosell with no
password?

> That EVERY time I take my eyes off of my
> attache case I can be assured taht some will be seeing if they can pick
> the lock; that every time I step out of my office I can expect that
> unless I lock my desk someone will rifle through it to see if there is
> anything interesting (and heaven forfend I should leave my attache
> case, or desk, or office door unlocked -- that means 'open season',
> right?).

No, it doesn't mean open season.  You're just confusing the issue.  No one
has said anything about ``EVERY [capitalisation yours] time I take my eyes
off of my attache case I can be assured taht [_sic_] some will be seeing if
they can pick the lock''.  Anyway, why is your attache' case locked?  I
thought you were Mr Anti-security.

> What is so special about a person's computer files that
> doesn't entitle them to the same respect and privacy that you would
> give to anything else of theirs?

The assumption that everyone can browse everyone else's files (if they're not
protected; I certainly oppose the idea that one may try to decrypt files or
`su' to root to override denied permissions) makes for a more pleasant and
useful working environment.  I tell people ``Just take file xxx out of my
yyy directory'' all the time, as do others here.  I don't leave everything
readable, of course; no one does around here.

I'd certainly respect a policy of staying out of others' files, even though
I oppose such a policy.

bob@mmsac.UUCP (Bob Brown) (08/03/89)

>>Scott Horne hit it on the head: read permission to my files is
>>implicit permission to browse.

>I disagree, but what follows is what I really contest...

>>[...] if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
>>DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
>>to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).

>Okay, there are no smileys here, so I'm assuming you meant what you said.
>ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is frankly rediculous. This kind of "If I CAN do it,
>it must be OK with you" attitude is a real problem in today's computer
>industry. Gee, With an attitude like that, worms & viruses are completely
>allright, because you were stupid enough to have an insecure system The
>idea that I would have to encrypt a file to keep a coworker out of it
>really scares me. This is not the way things should be run. Just because
>you didn't lock your door, it's okay for me to come inside and watch TV
>in your house? BULL! (My excuse: Well, you didn't stop me, and I wasn't
>hurting anything...)

The analogy sounds good but I'm afraid it doesn't hold up. The house
is the computer, your files are simply desks and rooms in the house.
To get into the house, someone must have the key (password). The point
is that the door is locked and the person coming in has a key.
Anything you leave laying around will probably be read. No one would
be so impolite as to touch your stuff, but your roommates (other
users) will probably read your mail if you leave it on top of your
desk for all to see.

The phrase "stupid enough to have an insecure system" is a bit much.
In order for computers to be useful, people need to have access to
them. We know the design of the system well enough to know that if a
file (directory) has read access -- Joe Guest can browse. When
something really needs to be secure, you give out less keys, you make
special rules for this house (in advance) and you lock your desks and
rooms.

Worms and viruses would be more like having your roommates take an ax
to your desk or burn your papers or break into your locked rooms and
desks. It's clear that this is vandalism -- which mom (sys admin)
would not and should not tolerate.

'nuff said

bb

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/03/89)

In article <68274@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
}Does the idea that you should have to use a password scare you?  How about the
}idea that you should have to lock your door?  Take your keys out of the car?
}Seal your envelopes?  Hide your valuables?

Damn right it does.  These are things I'm forced to do to protect my
property from _criminals_.  Whether I do them or not, the acts they are
meant to prevent are still _criminal acts_. (The fact that I foolishly
left my keys in my car does not give anyone the right to get in and drive
off, or even sleep in the back seat).

Likewise for computer files.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

reesd@gtephx.UUCP (David Rees) (08/03/89)

In article <26833@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> In article <1393@helios.mmsac.UUCP> eben@mmsac.UUCP (Eben R.S. Visher) writes:
> <I work with professional software people, and Scott's approach is our
> <rule of thumb among ourselves:  if you don't want it seen, then RSA or
> <DES it (of course, if you simply crypt(1) it, you're inviting someone
> <to spend 7 minutes with Crypt Breaker's Workbench).
>
> This is a perfectly reasonable rule for a group to adopt. However,
> that doesn't mean that it's universal, or that it should be. There are
> places where that attitude will get you into trouble.
>
> And that's the whole point: unless you know what the house rules are,
> and _know_ that everyone else understands those rules, then randomly
> browsing someones files is wrong.

The first thing I do when using a new system is to browse other user's files. It is
simply the fastest, and easiest way to get information about how the system is set
up. I agree with Eben's point of view... if the file has read access to the world,
or to your group, or just to you then you can browse it. If the user does not
want you to view it he can simply change the protections (or mark it personal).
If the system standard is for people not to be able to view each others files,
then files should be set with the read priority off automatically when created.
(I know of very few systems where this is not possible).

Of course, if the file (or directory) is named 'personal' that is something
different...

                                     -David