[comp.misc] Software, development & copyrights

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (07/30/89)

<It strikes me that the two side in this discussion are not talking about
<quite the same thing.  "Using software to make a better product" (Mike)
<sounds good, but what if (as Peter seems to be saying) software IS the
<product?

That's a minority case, and only occurs because of the warped view of
intellectual property society has now.

<And no one has addressed the issue, raised by Peter, of development cost.

The development cost only applies when the software is the product.
When the software is a tool to be used by the developers, then the
development cost is overhead, like internal memos, books of procedures,
and the coffee machine.

<The bottom line:  if you want to make a living out of programming, you
<or your company needs to copyright your code in order to maintain your
<rights to sell the code.

This is a false statement, the same one made by Peter. I make a living
out of programming (a quite nice one, I might add), and neither I nor
my employer copyright my programs to maintain rights to sell them.
Ditto for RMS. Ditto for 90% of the programmers in the world. In fact,
it's not even true for all the people who make a living working for
companies produce software as a product.

Your world view (and Peter's) is for some reason warped. I've noticed
this tendency among people who are making a living as programmers
selling software. Most programmers aren't in that situation. They are
doing maintenance and/or development for someone who uses the tools
the programmers work on as tools, not as product. Those people have no
need to sell the tools, and for many of the tools don't care whether
others see and use them. Of course, in some cases, they aren't willing
to release the software at all, because they consider it a vital edge
on their competition. To those people, the GNU copyleft is no problem
- they either give away sources, or districute nothing.

<The FSF seeks to establish a different kind of property
<right, by claiming rights to any software which "uses" GNU software,
<where "uses" varies from program incarnation to program incarnation.

Well, the FSF uses the copyright laws to force people who use their
tools to follow their version of what the intellectual property laws
should be. This is exactly what a commercial software developer does.
It's just that the FSF wants things to be best for society, while the
developer wants things to be best for the developer. Naturally enough,
commercial software developers have problems with this. The rest of
society doesn't.

<The pro-GNU forces will undoubtably flame me soundly, that's okay, I
<have my asbestos undies on.  They seem to outnumber the counter-GNU
<forces by a considerable margin.

Yup - by about the margin of commercial software developers to all
other software developers, or 9-1.

	<mike
--
When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <26778@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> This is a false statement, the same one made by Peter. I make a living
> out of programming (a quite nice one, I might add), and neither I nor
> my employer copyright my programs to maintain rights to sell them.
> Ditto for RMS.

That, I'll accept.

> Ditto for 90% of the programmers in the world.

That, I won't. You're playing games with words.

Just because the direct product of the company is not software doesn't mean
they won't be hurt by the FSF copyleft.

Most of the software in the world is sold as part of a system. It's not
sold explicitly as a seperate product, but it's sold nevertheless. And free
access to the sourtce code of this software would indeed hurt the company.
Reverse engineering from object code is no substitute for the source.

> Your world view (and Peter's) is for some reason warped. I've noticed
> this tendency among people who are making a living as programmers
> selling software.

I make a living supporting other people who write software as part of a
system that's sold to electric utility companies. Ferranti goes to some
lengths to keep competitors away from the source to the system. I'd hate
to see what would happen if CDC had free access to all our released source.

> Well, the FSF uses the copyright laws to force people who use their
> tools to follow their version of what the intellectual property laws
> should be.

I.e., RMS uses the copyleft to promote his Marxist programmer's utopia,
because all his buddies left the MIT AI Lab for higher-paying jobs in the
industry. He has said as much.

> It's just that the FSF wants things to be best for society,

When a man comes up to you with the intent of doing you good, run the other
way.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/01/89)

<
<That, I won't. You're playing games with words.
<
<Just because the direct product of the company is not software doesn't mean
<they won't be hurt by the FSF copyleft.

Peter, you have this habit of reading straw men into what other people
write, without regarding what they actually wrote.

I didn't say that _only_ people who sell explictily software would
have problems with copyleft. I said that over 90% of the programmers
in the world aren't in a position where selling the software is
needed.

I didn't even say that copyleft wouldn't hurt you if you weren't in
the software business - I said that if they didn't need to sell the
software, then copyleft won't bother them.

<Most of the software in the world is sold as part of a system.

Um, first of all, most software (by raw line count, not by
package/program count) in the world isn't sold - it's PA.  That's
because most of it is written by the US government using taxpayers
money, which was (until recently) required to go into the public
domain (with the minor exception of software that was classified).

Now, if you restrict your statment to "most of the software sold in
the world is sold...", then I might be able to accept it - once again,
by raw line count, not by program or package count. The "might" is
because a fair number of the people who sell software bundled that way are
willing (or, if they're IBM, required by judicial order) to sell the
same software unbundled. If that weren't true, and all software that
was sold as part of a package weren't sold in any other form, then I'd
say you were right.

Note that, while these packages compromise a majority of lines sold,
it doesn't follow that the majority of programmers working on lines
sold are working on such products. And I didn't talk about size of
packages number of lines etc, but about number of _programmers_.

<It's not
<sold explicitly as a seperate product, but it's sold nevertheless. And free
<access to the sourtce code of this software would indeed hurt the company.

Did I say it wouldn't?

<I make a living supporting other people who write software as part of a
<system that's sold to electric utility companies. Ferranti goes to some
<lengths to keep competitors away from the source to the system. I'd hate
<to see what would happen if CDC had free access to all our released source.

I've worked for companies that did similar things, except we didn't
distribute binaries. No problem for us.

Note that I didn't say that people who bundle other things with their
software and sell that package wouldn't be hurt if their stuff was
copyleft. After all, they are doing software development for
commercial purposes.

Of course, I don't think that most such people would be hurt. After
all, if they bundle the software, they have a dongle. They don't have
a problem unless they buy the dongle from someone else who could go
into competition with them, as the patents & copyrights on the
_dongle_ should do the trick.

Though if there's a big enough market, someone will reverse-engineer
the dongle. But the same is true of the software.

<> It's just that the FSF wants things to be best for society,
<
<When a man comes up to you with the intent of doing you good, run the other
<way.

Right. After all, we wouldn't _ever_ want to benefit by somebody
else's good will, would we?

That's why you don't trust people's good will, you trust their their
self-interest. It works better. And you yourself pointed out that
Stallman's self-interest is in creating a programmers utopia.

	<mike
--
It's been a hard day's night,				Mike Meyer
And I been working like a dog.				mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <26832@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> Peter, you have this habit of reading straw men into what other people
> write, without regarding what they actually wrote.

Funny, I have the same impression about you.

> I didn't say that _only_ people who sell explictily software would
> have problems with copyleft. I said that over 90% of the programmers
> in the world aren't in a position where selling the software is
> needed.

I know. I have not in any way misrepresented your position. I just do not
believe this statement to be factual. I have tried to explain that there
are many ways in which software can be part of a product, without being
explicitly "sold". A company that had to give the source to this software
away is at a competitive disadvantage.

Even if I grant you your point, I think I can demonstrate that it is not
relevant. There is a ghenuine need for the products that I speak of. Such
products as 747s, passenger cars, microwave ovens, and energy management
systems are necessary. To compete effectively if you manufacture these
products you need to protect the source to your embedded software.

Therefore there are cases where hoarding software is necessary.

> Um, first of all, most software (by raw line count, not by
> package/program count) in the world isn't sold - it's PA.

Most of the software in the world is written in Cobol on IBM mainframes and
minicomputers. The vast majority of this code is wasted and duplicated
effort, even if it is PD. Hardly a shining example for the GNU side.

> Did I say it wouldn't?

Bu claiming that "hoarding software" is "evil and rude", and urging that
everyone give away their software...

Yes.

> Of course, I don't think that most such people would be hurt. After
> all, if they bundle the software, they have a dongle. They don't have
> a problem unless they buy the dongle from someone else who could go
> into competition with them, as the patents & copyrights on the
> _dongle_ should do the trick.

Having people steal the software to use it is NOT the only way that people can
be hurt by giving away their source. Again, CDC would have relatively little
trouble finding ways to use such information about Ferranti's source code to
gain an unfair competitive advantage.

> Though if there's a big enough market, someone will reverse-engineer
> the dongle. But the same is true of the software.

The fact that CDC has their own systems isn't relevant. The fact that people
can reverse-engineer the software is similarly not relevant.

> <> It's just that the FSF wants things to be best for society,

> <When a man comes up to you with the intent of doing you good, run the other
> <way.

> Right. After all, we wouldn't _ever_ want to benefit by somebody
> else's good will, would we?

Your education is lacking. That is a paraphrase of a relatively famous quote.
My education is, to a lesser extent, lacking... I can't recall who said it.
My brain is trying to tell me it was Mark Twain. The intent of the quote is
that someone else's idea of what is good for you may not actually match either
what is really good for you... or even your idea.

> That's why you don't trust people's good will, you trust their their
> self-interest.

Wonderful. A reasonable, meaningful statement. One that I can accept.

> It works better. And you yourself pointed out that
> Stallman's self-interest is in creating a programmers utopia.

His idea of a programmer's utopia, where all his good buddies from the
MIT AI lab are back working on cool software in the MIT AI lab, making just
enough to get along so they can keep working on cool software.

Not my idea of a programmer's utopia.

Programmers are also people. We have families and expenses and mundane
ambitions. Some of us would like to own our own houses in reasonably nice
parts of town. Programming is not an end in and of itself.

No, we would not like his idea of a utopia at all.

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (08/02/89)

From article <5401@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):

>... There is a ghenuine need for the products that I speak of. Such
>products as 747s, passenger cars, microwave ovens, and energy management
>systems are necessary. To compete effectively if you manufacture these
>products you need to protect the source to your embedded software. ...

This is less than obvious.  If a manufacturer of microwave ovens
commenced using all the currently available Gnu-programs in
development of their ovens and made their software publicly
available to the extent required by the copylefts, how and
why would they compete less effectively?

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/02/89)

In article <5401@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<In article <26832@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<> Peter, you have this habit of reading straw men into what other people
<> write, without regarding what they actually wrote.
<
<Funny, I have the same impression about you.

Hmm. Maybe we should both take more care.

<I know. I have not in any way misrepresented your position. I just do not
<believe this statement to be factual. I have tried to explain that there
<are many ways in which software can be part of a product, without being
<explicitly "sold". A company that had to give the source to this software
<away is at a competitive disadvantage.

I am aware of this. I tried to explain that 1) the number included
this set is much smaller than you think, and 2) in many cases, it
doesn't make any difference.

<Even if I grant you your point, I think I can demonstrate that it is not
<relevant. There is a ghenuine need for the products that I speak of. Such
<products as 747s, passenger cars, microwave ovens, and energy management
<systems are necessary. To compete effectively if you manufacture these
<products you need to protect the source to your embedded software.

Ok. Let's take an example I'm familiar with (as opposed to Ferranti,
which I'm not), and consider passenger cars. A company produces those,
and charges some extra amount for whatever software is on board. Now,
assume they make the source code to that software available. Two
things happen: 1) those people who sell roms to change the performance
now have an easier job, and can charge marginally less for the roms.
These means that the cost of the better-tuned (in the sense of the
purchaser) is lower, so that people can buy more of the tweaked proms.
In fact, there will certainly be some people that will be the car at
the new price-performance position that wouldn't have before, so the
manufacturer sells more cars. 2) backyard mechanics have an easier
time tweaking the proms. These means they can get to the performance
they want by doing that instead of buying more hardware. Net result is
the same as above. However, by making these peoples jobs easier,
you've also made it easier for them to do lots of other things - like
create cars that don't pass emissions, or that more power than their
suspension will handle. But any time you give people more tools,
you're giving them more ways to hurt themselves. Not being a fan of
big brother, I don't consider that sufficient reason to keep them from
the tools.

So how does giving away sources hurt these people? Some of them even
socket the proms and make them accessible from the passenger
compartment.

As a matter of fact, the autombile industry provides a good example of
the kind of atmosphere that the FSF is trying to create. In 1915, the
major players in the US auto industry agreed that all patents (with a
few minor exceptions) could be used freely one year after the patent
was issued. This agreement was renewed until 1955.

Compare that with the current software industry, where lawyers are
as important as programmers, and tend to make more money. Compare the
growth rate of the auto industry from then (a year after Ford
introduced the assembly line, and tried to make cars affordable to
everyone) to the history of the personal computer industry after the
introductdion of the Apple (the closest analogy I can come up with -
maybe the IBM PC would be better).

Now, which would you rather have been in?

<Therefore there are cases where hoarding software is necessary.

If you prefixed that with "to maximize profits," I'd agree. However, I
don't think you've demonstrated a need other than that. That's not
sufficient.

<Most of the software in the world is written in Cobol on IBM mainframes and
<minicomputers. The vast majority of this code is wasted and duplicated
<effort, even if it is PD. Hardly a shining example for the GNU side.

It's nota good example. That's one reason that GNU makes sure you give
away source if you do any distribution at all - to avoid duplication of
effort. Go see the other thread.

I'd argue about that figure, though. Most _programmers_ are working in
that slot. But things like the NASA space tracking system, it's
shuttle simulator, the NAS gas flow code, etc aren't written in COBOL,
and don't run on IBM mainframes. I claim that the total of code in
those projects and similar things is far greater than the IBM shops
code.

<> <> It's just that the FSF wants things to be best for society,
<
<> <When a man comes up to you with the intent of doing you good, run the other
<> <way.
<
<> Right. After all, we wouldn't _ever_ want to benefit by somebody
<> else's good will, would we?
<
<Your education is lacking. That is a paraphrase of a relatively famous quote.
<My education is, to a lesser extent, lacking... I can't recall who said it.

Failure to mention recognition is not failure to recognize.  I
recognized it as a paraphrase. So I responded with one of my own,
expecting you to recognize mine. I just didn't see any reason to
mention it.

<The intent of the quote is
<that someone else's idea of what is good for you may not actually match either
<what is really good for you... or even your idea.

Hmm - we may have different paraphrases in mind. The intent of the one
I recall is echoed in the one I quoted:

<> That's why you don't trust people's good will, you trust their
<> self-interest.
<
<Wonderful. A reasonable, meaningful statement. One that I can accept.

The actual quote is:

	Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one.
	Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.

<> It works better. And you yourself pointed out that
<> Stallman's self-interest is in creating a programmers utopia.
<
<His idea of a programmer's utopia, where all his good buddies from the
<MIT AI lab are back working on cool software in the MIT AI lab, making just
<enough to get along so they can keep working on cool software.
<
<Not my idea of a programmer's utopia.

Not his idea, either. He doesn't want everyone back at the MIT AI lab;
he wants them to act like all those people did, and share programs
freely with each other, so everybody gains.

<Programmers are also people. We have families and expenses and mundane
<ambitions. Some of us would like to own our own houses in reasonably nice
<parts of town. Programming is not an end in and of itself.

And now, you're making the same mistake that triggered the other
thread. You're acting like hoarding software is the only way to make
money out of programming. This just isn't so.

To consider the other side of self-interest, the stated self-interest
of software hoarders is to make as much money for themselves as
possible. Some of us want to raise a family and spend time with them,
use the things we pay property tax on, and in general enjoy life.
Making money is no more an end in itself than programming is.

Now, given the choice between someone who wants to put as many of your
dollars in their pockets as they can, and someone who wants to make
everyone be nice to each other and share, which would you choose?

	<mike
--
Es brillig war. Die schlichte Toven			Mike Meyer
Wirrten und wimmelten in Waben;				mwm@berkeley.edu

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (08/02/89)

In article <26879@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>And now, you're making the same mistake that triggered the other
>thread. You're acting like hoarding software is the only way to make
>money out of programming. This just isn't so.

Perhaps, but--why should asserting rights to the product of one's
intellectual labor (I refuse to use the phrase "software hoarding,"
since it is a loaded term intended to make one accept RMS's philosophy,
sort of like that tiny bunch of people in 1917 who named themselves "The
Majority") be considered wrong?

>Now, given the choice between someone who wants to put as many of your
>dollars in their pockets as they can, and someone who wants to make
>everyone be nice to each other and share, which would you choose?

I don't know--I'm not presented with that choice.  I see a bunch of people
who assert that the efforts I exert to provide a service and put some money
in *my* pockets are evil, and that I should be willing to do that work for
nothing.

	James Jones

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (08/03/89)

In article <1312@mcrware.UUCP> jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
>Perhaps, but--why should asserting rights to the product of one's
>intellectual labor (I refuse to use the phrase "software hoarding,"
>since it is a loaded term intended to make one accept RMS's philosophy,
>sort of like that tiny bunch of people in 1917 who named themselves "The
>Majority") be considered wrong?

(1) I don't think it is necessarily wrong to "hoard" software, but I can
    understand why the FSF people may find it wrong. Now, please
    understand that they cannot prevent you from hoarding your software;
    they just reserve the right to not give you free help if you choose
    to be a "hoarder". Seems reasonable to me.

Mike Meyer:
>>Now, given the choice between someone who wants to put as many of your
>>dollars in their pockets as they can, and someone who wants to make
>>everyone be nice to each other and share, which would you choose?

James Jones:
>I don't know--I'm not presented with that choice.  I see a bunch of people
>who assert that the efforts I exert to provide a service and put some money
>in *my* pockets are evil, and that I should be willing to do that work for
>nothing.

(2) You are free to amke money the way you want. But if you want to make
    money that way, you have to bear the cost: You have to buy commercial
    tools.

It never ceases to amaze me, how conservatives insist on freedom to
take advantage of others at the same time as they want protection from
others like themselves.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

I said I wasn't going to get back in here, but I have one point that
I think needs to be made:

In article <26879@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> Ok. Let's take an example I'm familiar with (as opposed to Ferranti,
> which I'm not), and consider passenger cars. A company produces those,
> and charges some extra amount for whatever software is on board. Now,
> assume they make the source code to that software available. Two
> things happen: 1) those people who sell roms to change the performance
> now have an easier job, and can charge marginally less for the roms.

And the manufacturer is now liable for damage caused by these hacked-up
ROMS. You will, of course, make the claim that the FSF license will
absolve them of responsibility, but such all-inclusive disclaimers have
not held up in court.

> 2) backyard mechanics have an easier time tweaking the proms.

And suing GM.

[Oh, let's add one more thing. Mike here is saying that profits are a
 bad thing:]

> If you prefixed that with "to maximize profits," I'd agree. However, I
> don't think you've demonstrated a need other than that. That's not
> sufficient.

But it is. In a competitive environment that reduces to "to minimise
costs".

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/04/89)

In article <5487@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

<In article <26879@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<> Ok. Let's take an example I'm familiar with (as opposed to Ferranti,
<> which I'm not), and consider passenger cars. A company produces those,
<> and charges some extra amount for whatever software is on board. Now,
<> assume they make the source code to that software available. Two
<> things happen: 1) those people who sell roms to change the performance
<> now have an easier job, and can charge marginally less for the roms.
<
<And the manufacturer is now liable for damage caused by these hacked-up
<ROMS. You will, of course, make the claim that the FSF license will
<absolve them of responsibility, but such all-inclusive disclaimers have
<not held up in court.

No, I won't I'll claim that you're wrong. Unless you also think that
the manufacturer is liable for damages caused by tweaked engines,
hacked suspensions, et. al.

And if you believe that, I'm suprised you'd advocate selling
_anything_.

<[Oh, let's add one more thing. Mike here is saying that profits are a
< bad thing:]
<
<> If you prefixed that with "to maximize profits," I'd agree. However, I
<> don't think you've demonstrated a need other than that. That's not
<> sufficient.

Oh bullstuff. I'm saying that maximizing profits at the expense of
everything else is a bad thing.

	<mike
--
ICUROK2C, ICUROK2.				Mike Meyer
ICUROK2C, ICWR2.				mwm@berkeley.edu

Mike was suggesting that manufacturers make the source to the ROMs for
their cars available, as freeware...

In article <26942@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> No, I won't I'll claim that you're wrong. Unless you also think that
> the manufacturer is liable for damages caused by tweaked engines,
> hacked suspensions, et. al.

If they published the design notes for the engine, to facilitate said
tweaking, then they would be.

Source code for embedded parts like this are the quivalent of design
noted for more-easily-reverse-engineered hardware. That is, it's a
peice of information the only use for, outside of the manufacturer, is
modifying the engine.

> Oh bullstuff. I'm saying that maximizing profits at the expense of
> everything else is a bad thing.

Since I never advocated maximising profits at the expense of everything
else, that's both specious and the sort of straw man that you just got
on my case about.