[comp.misc] BISON, GCC, and the GNU public license.

Round and round we go...

In article <26695@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> In article <5271@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> <In article <26609@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> <> The GNU General Public License isn't about profit or sales, it's about
> <> the right to give away neat tools to our friends.

> <No, it's about the right of intellectual property. It uses the laws
> <that are based on that right to deny it to other people.

> Well, it is about the right of intellectual property.

I thought you said it was about giving away neat tools to our friends.

> It uses the
> busted laws to insure that all people have the right to the
> intellectual properties it covers.

Let's analyse this statement.

	a) The license covers intellectual properties. Whose
	   properties? Not mone, I didn't write them. It must
	   be the Free Software Foundation's. OK.
	b) It ensures that everyone has a right to the FSF's
	   intellectual properties. OK.
	c) Intellectual property laws are busted. That's a matter
	   of opinion, so we can ignore it.

You seem to have left out one part:

It also covers any software that includes any FSF software. That is,
it makes the wholly remarkable jump to including any such software as
being the intellectual property of the Free Software Foundation.

Don't you suppose that the author of a program that happens to have
been compiled with the GCC compiler using the GNU libraries should
have more right to the program than the FSF?

If RMS just wanted to keep the FSF's properties inviolate he could just
require they be distributed with the package, or made available on
request. That's laudable.

> It in no way denies any intellectual property rights to anyone, any
> more than any other license agreement does.

Sure it does. It denies property rights to the author of any software
that includes any FSF software... including, say, a parser compiled
with BISON that used the GNU skeleton. If you say this does not deny
anyone any intellectual property rights then we're obviously not using
the same language.

> To claim otherwise is to lie.

Let's analyse this statement.

You're calling me a liar, right?

> Don't hoard your software. There are other ways to make money off of
> it. [I'll call this <statement A>]

Not if other people are "hoarding" their software.

> <I'm sure you can see other problems with that. If you can't see how
> <giving up intellectual property rights can hurt you it's a failure
> <in your imagination, not in the concept.

> Your statement is ambiguous, and in either case makes an assertion I
> haven't said anything about.

No, it's not ambiguous. I can't see anything in it that would lead to
interpretation two. I assume you're just playing logical games.

> Interpretation 1) Me giving up my intellectual property rights to one
> or more pieces of software can hurt me. Obvious.

See <statement A> above. If it's obvious, why are you urging people to
do so?

> On the other hand, it may also do me more good than harm.

It may, depending on the software. It may also not.

> What's amusing about all this is that the GPL isn't that much worse
> than licenses for commercial software that I've seen. How about
> $2000/year for the compiler (for an IBM PC!?!?), plus royalties on the
> library if you distribute binaries.

How about $500 for the compiler with no royalties? That's the sort of
license agreement you see these days. Market forces arising from the
competition between different commercial compilers seem to be working
just fine.

> Even worse, copyleft is a _lot_ less restrictive than any of a large
> number of programs that are PA, which just say "freely
> redistributable, except for commercial purposes."

This is a completely different subject and entirely irrelevent to this
discussion.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "...helping make the world
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  a quote-free zone..."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |    -- hjm@cernvax.cern.ch

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/28/89)

[much heated debate removed along with attribution which is not important
to the point I want to make.]

>Don't you suppose that the author of a program that happens to have
>been compiled with the GCC compiler using the GNU libraries should
>have more right to the program than the FSF?

Can someone explain to me how it is software vendors can assert control
over what is done with a product once it is sold? (I mean the
~reasoning~ behind the law, not the law itself.)

Simple soul that I am, I think in analogies. For example, I buy a Caddy
rag top. The license from GM specifies "daily, domestic use only." This
precludes going to a drive in and necking. However, for an extra fee, I
can purchase an unrestricted nocturnal-use license that permits
after-dark usage. I must, however, present a copy of the usage
agreement every time I climb in the backseat. Unless I purchase "under
the hood rights," I cannot (legally) open the sucker up to see how it
works. Still less can I modify what I find there or trade chunks with
anyone else.

Simple soul that I am, I think in analogies (and repeat myself). Since
most commercial software is about as reliable as GM automobiles (which
is to say, not very), when you buy (or are given) it, as long as you do
not kill anyone with it or prevent dogs from finding fire hydrants with
it, you should be able to do whatever you want with the object in
question.

bron@bronze.wpd.sgi.com (Bron Campbell Nelson) (07/29/89)

In article <26719@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> [much heated debate removed]
>
> >Don't you suppose that the author of a program that happens to have
> >been compiled with the GCC compiler using the GNU libraries should
> >have more right to the program than the FSF?
>
> Can someone explain to me how it is software vendors can assert control
> over what is done with a product once it is sold? (I mean the
> ~reasoning~ behind the law, not the law itself.)
>
> Simple soul that I am, I think in analogies.  [Caddy analogy deleted]

I think the problem with the analogy is that it talks about sales.  Try to
think about leasing instead.  How about this:  You rent me your car.  The
next day you ask me what happened to it.  My reply?  "I sold it."

The point is that in the case of FSF at least, they are quite specifically
NOT giving you full rights to the software.  The "copyleft" spells out
the rights that they are retaining, and that you must respect in order to
use their software.  You are NOT given the right to do whatever you want
to with the software.  Now, the rights that FSF has chosen to try and retain
are about 180 degrees out of phase with the rights commercial establishments
try to retain (instead of trying to prevent people from making a copy of the
stuff, they try to prevent people from not being able to make a copy of the
stuff), but I believe the principle involved is the same.

The only thing that is unquestionably "sold" to you is the media itself.
If you were to erase the tape, you could resell it to the highest bidder
without FSF squawking about it.

--
Bron Campbell Nelson
bron@sgi.com  or possibly  ..!ames!sgi!bron

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (07/29/89)

<
<> <No, it's about the right of intellectual property. It uses the laws
<> <that are based on that right to deny it to other people.
<
<> Well, it is about the right of intellectual property.
<
<I thought you said it was about giving away neat tools to our friends.

Correct. It uses one to allow people to do the other. So in a sense,
it is about both of them. You can draw finer distinctions if you want.

<You seem to have left out one part:
<
<It also covers any software that includes any FSF software. That is,
<it makes the wholly remarkable jump to including any such software as
<being the intellectual property of the Free Software Foundation.

What's remarkable about that jump? That's what others have been doing
for years - except instead of requiring you to share your software,
they insist that you get their permission to distribute it in any way
whatsoever.

<Don't you suppose that the author of a program that happens to have
<been compiled with the GCC compiler using the GNU libraries should
<have more right to the program than the FSF?

They do have more rights to the program than FSF. They have a copy,
FSF doesn't. Now, if they want to distribute copies, they have to
abide by the license agreement, just like they do with any other
licensed software.

<> It in no way denies any intellectual property rights to anyone, any
<> more than any other license agreement does.
<
<Sure it does. It denies property rights to the author of any software
<that includes any FSF software... including, say, a parser compiled
<with BISON that used the GNU skeleton. If you say this does not deny
<anyone any intellectual property rights then we're obviously not using
<the same language.

You should read what I  wrote. You should also go back and reread the GPL.
Things you've got wrong:

They have complete rights to the parser they wrote using bison. The
only thing they can't do is create binaries from it & distribute them
if they wish to hoard the sources. That's because the resulting
binaries are considered a "derivate work" under the terms of the law.
Among other things, they authers can use a different parser generator,
or rewrite the parts of bison they need to hoard their software.

This does _not_ deny them intellectual property rights to the parser.
Only to the code that comes out of it that uses FSF code. Or do you
think that someone should lose the rights to their work just because
it's not obvious that those works are being used in this case.

You might also notice I added the phrase "any mor ethan any other
license agreement does." Of course, there are license agreements that
are less restrictive. There are also license agreements that are more
restrictive. In general, the GPL is on the winning side, as it leaves
me with more rights than any commercial license agreement that I've
ever seen.

<> To claim otherwise is to lie.
<
<Let's analyse this statement.
<
<You're calling me a liar, right?

No, I'm saying you're lieing. You don't realize it, so I wouldn't call
you a liar.

<> Don't hoard your software. There are other ways to make money off of
<> it. [I'll call this <statement A>]
<
<Not if other people are "hoarding" their software.

This statemet is false. There are _lots_ of ways to make money off of
software other than hoarding it. Providing it's usefull to begin with,
that is. Even in the current atmosphere. That was my original point.

<> <I'm sure you can see other problems with that. If you can't see how
<> <giving up intellectual property rights can hurt you it's a failure
<> <in your imagination, not in the concept.
<
<> Your statement is ambiguous, and in either case makes an assertion I
<> haven't said anything about.
<
<No, it's not ambiguous. I can't see anything in it that would lead to
<interpretation two. I assume you're just playing logical games.

You assume falsely, and your statement is still ambiguous. However,
since you've clarified things, the rest is immaterial.

<> Interpretation 1) Me giving up my intellectual property rights to one
<> or more pieces of software can hurt me. Obvious.
<
<See <statement A> above. If it's obvious, why are you urging people to
<do so?

Because you left out the rest of the statement. There are obvious
harms. There are also obvious gains. I'm urging people to make the
choice that is best for everyone.

<> What's amusing about all this is that the GPL isn't that much worse
<> than licenses for commercial software that I've seen. How about
<> $2000/year for the compiler (for an IBM PC!?!?), plus royalties on the
<> library if you distribute binaries.
<
<How about $500 for the compiler with no royalties? That's the sort of
<license agreement you see these days. Market forces arising from the
<competition between different commercial compilers seem to be working
<just fine.

Except that they can't seem to produce compilers & parser generators
of the quality the FSF can. Otherwise, nobody would be bothered by the
license agreement. They'd just go buy the commercial software.

<> Even worse, copyleft is a _lot_ less restrictive than any of a large
<> number of programs that are PA, which just say "freely
<> redistributable, except for commercial purposes."
<
<This is a completely different subject and entirely irrelevent to this
<discussion.

Nope, it's part of the point. The GPL is _not_ incredibly restrictive.
It just tweaks different rights than you're used to. So you have to do
some thinking to be able to make a living off of the use of it,
instead of doing things in a rote fashion. If this bothers you, well,
then don't use the tools.

	<mike

--
Can't buy happiness no matter what you do		Mike Meyer
Can't get to heaven on roller skates			mwm@berkeley.edu

barkley@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Matthew Barkley) (07/29/89)

[Much discussion about the GNU Public License between peter@ficc.uu.net
(Peter da Silva) and, among others, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer)]

It strikes me that the two side in this discussion are not talking about
quite the same thing.  "Using software to make a better product" (Mike)
sounds good, but what if (as Peter seems to be saying) software IS the
product?

And no one has addressed the issue, raised by Peter, of development cost.

Matt Barkley                                           barkley@cs.unc.edu
Any opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by anyone else, and may
not even be my own. How an organization can have an opinion is beyond me.

ckd@bucsb.UUCP (Christopher Davis) (07/29/89)

-
[...]

Including use your "magic duplicating ray" to give away lots of GM cars?

The analogy fails because information is easy to duplicate at very low
materials cost, unlike cars.

To use it anyway (:-), what if Ford then offered a better car --for free--
that had the caveat that you could never use it to make money?  AT ALL?

Interesting thought...

Crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss for those who get it, because this thread is
definitely suited for it... and left in comp.misc for those who don't.

Followups to gnu.misc.discuss (and remember, folks, if you don't get gnu.*,
there is a mailing list...).
--
  /\  | /  |\  @bu-pub.bu.edu <preferred>  | Christopher K. Davis, BU SMG '90
 /    |/   | \ %bu-pub.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu |      uses standardDisclaimer;

In article <26719@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> Can someone explain to me how it is software vendors can assert control
> over what is done with a product once it is sold? (I mean the
> ~reasoning~ behind the law, not the law itself.)

[ car == software analogy deleted ]

You know the answer already, I'm sure. But... you can not give a car away
and still keep it. The same is not true of software (or books, tapes, etc).

Analogy thus falls apart.

Tell me... how do you feel about other intellectual property laws? Copyrights
on music, books, movies, etc...?

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/29/89)

In article <39129@sgi.SGI.COM> bron@bronze.wpd.sgi.com (Bron Campbell Nelson) writes:
>In article <26719@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:

>I think the problem with the analogy is that it talks about sales.  Try to
>think about leasing instead.  How about this:  You rent me your car.  The
>next day you ask me what happened to it.  My reply?  "I sold it."

I can see your point, but if software vendors are to claim that they are
in effect "leasing" rather than selling, then it would seem to a naive
soul like myself that they should provide the services of an owner.  If
I lease a piece of equipment and its craps out, the leasing company does
not ask me to pay extra for a later version, they provide a substitute
that works.  With leasing, maintenance is typically the responsibility
of the owner, not the user.

Moreover, the analogy breaks down for tax purposes.  Unless I am mistaken,
the IRS treats the usual acquisition of software as a purchase, not a
lease.

It seems to me that software vendors having been having it both ways --
asserting the rights of an owner while ducking responsibilities.  Naive
me would like to see a grass roots movement to nail the bastards: either
you make a quit claim sale or your rent it with full responsibility for
maintainance.

In article <5351@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <26719@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:

>You know the answer already, I'm sure. But... you can not give a car away
>and still keep it. The same is not true of software (or books, tapes, etc).
>
>Analogy thus falls apart.

Perhaps the analogy falls apart on the issue of copying, but that was not
my chief point.  I was (and am) concerned with the attempt of software
vendors to control what I do with the product other than copying.  And
the analogy holds at least partially in the car case.  If I start cloning
Caddies, GM can get on my tail.

GM cannot, however, claim any interest in possible income streams generated
by my use of that car, but software vendors do make such claims. If autos
were sold like software, you'd pay a different price for your car depending
on whether you were going to carry 1 person or 6, whether you were going to
use it in your business or not, etc.  You'd pay one price if you could buy
it through a university agreement with the campus bookstore, another price
if you bought it through a franchised dealer off campus.

>Tell me... how do you feel about other intellectual property laws?
>Copyrights on music, books, movies, etc...?

As an academic, and one who teaches business history, I would like to
see software-style licensing extended to my classroom lecturers.
Students would pay one tuition rate for my classes if they agreed never
to make any commercial use of the material presented. They would pay
another rate for ~possible~ commercial usage with royalties for any
~actual~ commercial usage. Whenever they make use of any of ~my~ ideas
in a commercial setting, they must announce that they are so doing.

(The possible argument that there is a defacto royalty payment through
taxes does not hold for foreign nationals and out-of-state students.)

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> In article <5303@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> <I thought you said it was about giving away neat tools to our friends.

> Correct. It uses one to allow people to do the other. So in a sense,
> it is about both of them. You can draw finer distinctions if you want.

This is the silliest argument for the FSF that I've ever seen. I don't *need*
the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE to give away neat software to my friends. I just do
it.

> <It also covers any software that includes any FSF software. That is,
> <it makes the wholly remarkable jump to including any such software as
> <being the intellectual property of the Free Software Foundation.

> What's remarkable about that jump? That's what others have been doing
> for years - except instead of requiring you to share your software,
> they insist that you get their permission to distribute it in any way
> whatsoever.

Huh?

They require that I get their permission to share my software? Who does?
What others?

> <Don't you suppose that the author of a program that happens to have
> <been compiled with the GCC compiler using the GNU libraries should
> <have more right to the program than the FSF?

> They do have more rights to the program than FSF. They have a copy,
> FSF doesn't. Now, if they want to distribute copies, they have to
> abide by the license agreement, just like they do with any other
> licensed software.

But *my* software isn't licensed from the FSF. I wrote it myself. I'll gladly
give people copies of the GNU software I use, but I'm totally flabbergasted
at the claim that the FSF owns everything I write that might include any
FSF software. The FSF software itself, sure. But *my own code*?

"Arrogant" is about the mildest term I can think of.

> <Sure it does. It denies property rights to the author of any software
> <that includes any FSF software... including, say, a parser compiled
> <with BISON that used the GNU skeleton. If you say this does not deny
> <anyone any intellectual property rights then we're obviously not using
> <the same language.

> They have complete rights to the parser they wrote using bison. The
> only thing they can't do is create binaries from it & distribute them
> if they wish to hoard the sources.

The sources to bison? No, the sources to their own code.

> That's because the resulting
> binaries are considered a "derivate work" under the terms of the law.
> Among other things, they authers can use a different parser generator,
> or rewrite the parts of bison they need to hoard their software.

I.e., someone who can't afford to rewrite the BISON skeleton, either because
they lack the time or the skill, must give away any software they wrote using
bison. So, you're saying that only rich, well educated, and/or skillful
programmers have the right to their own code?

> This does _not_ deny them intellectual property rights to the parser.

No, it just denies them the right to excersize those rights.

> Only to the code that comes out of it that uses FSF code. Or do you
> think that someone should lose the rights to their work just because
> it's not obvious that those works are being used in this case.

I've never said that they should. Why don't YOU go back and read what *I*
wrote? I said that the FSF can put any restrictions they want on their code,
but when they start extending them to other people's code... well, I think
arrogant is how I referred to it.

If they require that you make the GNU software you used available to your
customers for "reasonable distribution costs", that's fine. When they require
that you make the whole of any work, including the parts that aren't GNU code,
available... that's unreasonable.

> You might also notice I added the phrase "any mor ethan any other
> license agreement does." Of course, there are license agreements that
> are less restrictive. There are also license agreements that are more
> restrictive. In general, the GPL is on the winning side, as it leaves
> me with more rights than any commercial license agreement that I've
> ever seen.

This is complete bull. I haven't seen *ANY* commercial license agreement
that claims to tell me what to do with my own source code.

> <> To claim otherwise is to lie.

> <Let's analyse this statement.

> <You're calling me a liar, right?

> No, I'm saying you're lieing. You don't realize it, so I wouldn't call
> you a liar.

OK, you're saying I'm incompetant.

> This statemet is false. There are _lots_ of ways to make money off of
> software other than hoarding it. Providing it's usefull to begin with,
> that is. Even in the current atmosphere. That was my original point.

For small-volume items, can you make enough to live on? I know RMS doesn't
believe in living off software sales. Do you?

> Except that they can't seem to produce compilers & parser generators
> of the quality the FSF can. Otherwise, nobody would be bothered by the
> license agreement. They'd just go buy the commercial software.

But, I do.

Oh yes... quality is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have the RAM to
spare to run GCC. I wouldn't buy a commercial product that sucked up that
much of my computer's resources. If they could get away with such waste
they would probably be able to do as good a job.

> Nope, it's part of the point. The GPL is _not_ incredibly restrictive.

Yes it is. It imposes a restriction that is completely unprecedented outside
of eastern governments.

> If this bothers you, well, then don't use the tools.

I don't. I can't afford the RAM to run them.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"

In article <4989@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> If
> I lease a piece of equipment and its craps out, the leasing company does
> not ask me to pay extra for a later version, they provide a substitute
> that works.  With leasing, maintenance is typically the responsibility
> of the owner, not the user.

Software doesn't crap out. What happens is that new versions of the software
come out. If I lease an '84 Porsche 928, does that mean I'm entitled to a
free upgrade to an '88 model, just because it's got a better Cd?

> Moreover, the analogy breaks down for tax purposes.  Unless I am mistaken,
> the IRS treats the usual acquisition of software as a purchase, not a
> lease.

In 1982 the IRS treated me as a permanent resident of the U.S.. I was a
resident of Texas for tax purposes. That didn't mean I could go to the INS
and get a green card instead of my F-1 visa, or that I didn't have to pay
out-of-state tuition at state colleges.

I.e., what the IRS says is irrelevant.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (07/31/89)

There's a lot of confusion in this stuff.

If I use BISON to create a compiler, is that compiler governed by the GNU
liscence?  Note that this is far different than creating a tool that itself
incorporates some of the BISON code in it.

I don't have BISON.  My reading of the the Gnu-make liscense is that if you
incorporate the code into anything, it's covered, but if you use gmake as a
tool to build something, that something is not covered.

If I write a book using an IBM PC and Wordperfect, that book is NOT a
derivative work of IBM or WPCorp.  I can't imagine how GNU could write
an _enforcable_ license agreement for their products that covered works
built by using (as oppossed to derivative of) their products.

Disclaimer: I'm no attorney, and my opinions on these matters are rank
speculation.  My opinions are worth what you paid for them.
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

In article <1989Jul31.161755.1309@holos0.uucp>, lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
> If I use BISON to create a compiler, is that compiler governed by the GNU
> liscence?

If you used the BISON parser skeleton, yes. This has been explicitly stated.

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/02/89)

In article <5361@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<> Correct. It uses one to allow people to do the other. So in a sense,
<> it is about both of them. You can draw finer distinctions if you want.
<
<This is the silliest argument for the FSF that I've ever seen. I don't *need*
<the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE to give away neat software to my friends. I just do
<it.

Do you tell the people who hold the copyrights on those tools that
you're doing that?

<But *my* software isn't licensed from the FSF. I wrote it myself. I'll gladly
<give people copies of the GNU software I use, but I'm totally flabbergasted
<at the claim that the FSF owns everything I write that might include any
<FSF software. The FSF software itself, sure. But *my own code*?
<
<"Arrogant" is about the mildest term I can think of.

They don't claim they own it. They merely claim partial ownership of
derivative works - which the law allows them to do. They don't let you
distribute copies of those works unless you agree to their terms for
doing so. This is _exactly_ what copyright is for - to control the
conditions under which others can copy your works.

<> That's because the resulting
<> binaries are considered a "derivate work" under the terms of the law.
<> Among other things, they authers can use a different parser generator,
<> or rewrite the parts of bison they need to hoard their software.
<
<I.e., someone who can't afford to rewrite the BISON skeleton, either because
<they lack the time or the skill, must give away any software they wrote using
<bison. So, you're saying that only rich, well educated, and/or skillful
<programmers have the right to their own code?

Nope, only that such programmers are the only ones who can use the GNU
tools and hoard the resuls. This should be compared with commercial
tools, where it doesn't matter how skillfull you are, you just have to
be rich. So if you're not a member  of the privileged classes, you
have two choices: use the GNU tools and abide by their terms, or don't
use any tools at all. The commercial licenses have really helped them
out a lot, haven't they?

<> Only to the code that comes out of it that uses FSF code. Or do you
<> think that someone should lose the rights to their work just because
<> it's not obvious that those works are being used in this case.
<
<I've never said that they should. Why don't YOU go back and read what *I*
<wrote? I said that the FSF can put any restrictions they want on their code,
<but when they start extending them to other people's code... well, I think
<arrogant is how I referred to it.

You didn't say it, but I don't think I misreprestented your position.
You don't want FSF exercising their copyrights on derivative works if
it's not an obvious derivation. That you consider how they choose to
exercise it arrogant is immaterial - you're denying them the very
rights you accuse them of denying others.

#> You might also notice I added the phrase "any mor ethan any other
<> license agreement does." Of course, there are license agreements that
<> are less restrictive. There are also license agreements that are more
<> restrictive. In general, the GPL is on the winning side, as it leaves
<> me with more rights than any commercial license agreement that I've
<> ever seen.
<
<This is complete bull. I haven't seen *ANY* commercial license agreement
<that claims to tell me what to do with my own source code.

Correct. However, I don't see any commercial license agreement that
doesn't require that either I buy time on the target hardware, or that
the owner of the target hardware buy the commercial product, if I want
them to have a trivial installation process. I'd much rather have
someone control sources if they're derivative than my installation
procedures - even if the works _aren't_ derivative.

Of course, if you don't like people telling you what you can do with
your source, you better not look at the AT&T System V binary license.
It tells you that you can't accept derivative works - even in binary
form - from anyone but the person who issued you the license. Which
means that you can't sell/give/etc _binaries_ to a derivative work to
anyone running a binary license who didn't buy it from you.

<OK, you're saying I'm incompetant.

Either that, or misininformed. Probably a mixture of both.

<> This statemet is false. There are _lots_ of ways to make money off of
<> software other than hoarding it. Providing it's usefull to begin with,
<> that is. Even in the current atmosphere. That was my original point.
<
<For small-volume items, can you make enough to live on? I know RMS doesn't
<believe in living off software sales. Do you?

Yes, you can make enough to live on (quite comfortably) on small
volume items. Check out the salaries people pay Unix systems
programmers for maintenance positions.

And do I what? Make a living off software sales? No. Believe that
making a living off software sales is immoral? No - not so long as you
don't hoard the software.

<Oh yes... quality is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have the RAM to
<spare to run GCC.

Given the current memory prices, not buying a single commercial
compiler would pay for that ram.

<I wouldn't buy a commercial product that sucked up that
<much of my computer's resources. If they could get away with such waste
<they would probably be able to do as good a job.

Of course, you're running sub-state-of-the-art hardware. Whereas GNU
software is aimed at beyond state-of-the-art hardware. As a result, it
sucks resources like crazy. On the other hand, the software production
utilities outperform commercial utilities for the same target
hardware.

<> Nope, it's part of the point. The GPL is _not_ incredibly restrictive.
<
<Yes it is. It imposes a restriction that is completely unprecedented outside
<of eastern governments.

Sorry, but you're wrong. People have sold compilers with yearly rental
fees and requirements for royalties. Those set a nice precedent. In
any case, being told "you can't give away binaries that we own part of
unless you give away sources" is no worse than being told "you can't
give away all the tools somebody needs to build your product." Unless
you want to do one of those two things and not the other, of course.

	<mike
--
All around my hat, I will wear the green willow.		Mike Meyer
And all around my hat, for a twelve-month and a day.	mwm@berkeley.edu

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (08/02/89)

In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:

| <You seem to have left out one part:
| <
| <It also covers any software that includes any FSF software. That is,
| <it makes the wholly remarkable jump to including any such software as
| <being the intellectual property of the Free Software Foundation.
|
| What's remarkable about that jump? That's what others have been doing
| for years - except instead of requiring you to share your software,
| they insist that you get their permission to distribute it in any way
| whatsoever.

  Actually that's an experiment which ended about 15 years ago. Many
vendors claimed a right to programs which were linked with their runtime
library. Then a few started offering "no royalties on executable
programs." Market pressure did the rest, and I can't remember when I saw
junk like that.

  If you really want to read the copyleft "between the lines," I think I
can make a good case that this applies to GNUemacs, too, and that if you
edit one byte of a source file with GNUemacs you must give away the
source with the program! This is fair?

**************** workstation buyers ****************

  I am told that some workstations will be distributed with GNU
software as the development set. Be sure that you and/or your managers
are willing to give away and code you develop using these workstations,
or that there is a change in the manifesto as applied to these
workstations. People have been spoiled by the real UNIX(r) software
license which makes no claims on the final product, and may not realize
that these workstations are covered by a more (or less, depending on
your view) restrictive agreement.

	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (08/02/89)

  As an addendum to my previous posting, I would like to clarify my view
on software ownership. If a piece of software I own does not have
obvious commercial potential, I usually release it. You will find my
software in the old mod.sources archives, and comp.sources.{unix,misc}
as well. I claim copyright and allow free distribution, but prohibit
selling the software or distributing any modified version of it. If
someone wants to distribute the original source and a diff file I have
no problem, as long as the next user gets the unmodified source and knows
that changes have been made.

  I don't claim that I own software which has been distributed using my
version of shar, nor backed up using my backup programs. I don't care
if you charge people to play my games, as long as the games are sold.
If someone uses my enhanced version of getopt I am delighted to have
been useful. If the user's guide I wrote for zoo saves someone some
time, hurrah! That's my view on the world, you're free to use it, just
don't sell it or hack it up.

  FSF has done a lot of good and put an incredible amount of effort into
releasing software. I disagree with their license, but it's their right
to do what they want. I would not use any GNU tools to develop software
for my company or which might be sold, because I don't want to risk loss
of rights to my source code.

  I think that a lot of people who are most vocal on this are either
(a) people who have never sold a piece of software, or (b) have never
taken the time to properly give software away, with a man page,
makefile, ifdefs for at least BSD and USG, etc. If you don't know how
nice it is to get paid for software you don't see what there is to
lose, and if you haven't contributed anything yourself you're just a
greedy taker who wants even more for nothing. If this offends someone
(I realize that it may) you might want to reply by mail.

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/03/89)

In article <1447@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>
>workstations. People have been spoiled by the real UNIX(r) software
>license which makes no claims on the final product, and may not realize
>that these workstations are covered by a more (or less, depending on
>your view) restrictive agreement.

I'm not sure that "real UNIX(r)" makes no claims on software developed
under it. Some ATT shysters should speak to this. In any event, it has
in the past. In 1980 I started writing a freeform database. This was
originaly for my own use, but while crude, it had some features that
allowed it to handle data that other products could not. After a brief
mention in an academic journal, I started getting requests, both from
academic and non-academic sources. My own inclination was simply to
give the code away provided the user agreed to do the same to anyone
who asked. Before doing this, I checked with the university computer
center. They claimed that their ATT license precluded even giving away
software unless the recipient had a similar ATT license.

This may have been an artifact of the litigation ATT was then engaged
in, but I believe similar restrictive arrangements cover some of the
VAX machines the university has. I don't remember the details (I'll
check if there is interest), but as I recall, if I use certain of the
university DEC machines running **IX to develop software that I charge
for, DEC will have a shit fit and send its legal buzzards after my
carcass.

I have two answers for this, one intelectual and one practical.

(a) I really develop most of my software under SCO Xenix or MKS
Toolkit/Borland Turbo C and only test compatability on the DEC
machines. [This is the intellectual argument.]

(b) DEC/ATT may have billions, but I don't have squat. So they sue my
ass off. They get my Toyota with 101,200 miles on the odometer. I live
within walking distance of work and don't drive anyway.

Change of subject: I'm disappointed that there has been no response to
one of my proposed threads. (a) I think many 'rights' claimed by
software vendors are absurd; (b) if claimed, should be backed by
acceptance of liability for damages resulting from bugs; (c) academics
should be allowed to claim similar rights for lecture materials
(differential pricing for commercial and non-commercial usage of
material, restrictive covenants on usage, royalties for commercial
usage, etc.).

I think any programmer who learned a commercial useful technique from a
comp-sci prof should be paying royalties (if that idea is not clearly
in the public domain). Naturally, the prof should be able to duck all
responsiblity for damage resulting from half-assed ideas and boring
lectures, the same way software vendors duck all responsibility for
bugs and simply dumb code.

mart@ele.tue.nl (Mart van Stiphout) (08/03/89)

In article <26880@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>be rich. So if you're not a member  of the privileged classes, you
>have two choices: use the GNU tools and abide by their terms, or don't
>use any tools at all.

I need a lot more tools than gnu can provide me with. By the way,
most tools I get from the gnu distribution already came with the system.
Its totally redundant stuff. I'm glad not to be dependent on gnu
software.

>Of course, you're running sub-state-of-the-art hardware. Whereas GNU
>software is aimed at beyond state-of-the-art hardware. As a result, it
>sucks resources like crazy. On the other hand, the software production
>utilities outperform commercial utilities for the same target
>hardware.

Don't make me laugh. We just bought some hp835 computers and I haven't
seen gcc running on it. And if it would it certainly cannot generate
faster code than hp's own compiler does. I haven't heard of
gcc running on my Apollo and performing better than the
Domain C compiler either. Have you got gcc running on our Alliant FX8
machine. No you haven't. And would it do better? I guess not.
And don't tell me gcc is better than Sun's C compiler. It's probably
because the Sun people can't write compilers rather than gcc being
such a suberb tool.
So what is all this crap of me being helpless without the gnu tape.
I can do without gnu. I can't do without commercial software.

Mart van Stiphout
Email: mart@euteal.ele.tue.nl
-------------------------------
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

In article <26880@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> In article <5361@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> <In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
[ about GNU being about giving away neat tools to my friends ]
> <> Correct. It uses one to allow people to do the other. So in a sense,
> <> it is about both of them. You can draw finer distinctions if you want.

> <This is the silliest argument for the FSF that I've ever seen. I don't *need*
> <the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE to give away neat software to my friends. I just do
> <it.

> Do you tell the people who hold the copyrights on those tools that
> you're doing that?

Since either I own the copyrights on these tools, or they're stuff I got
through comp.sources.* (of which a vanishingly small percentage are GNU
stuff)... no.

> They don't claim they own it. They merely claim partial ownership of
> derivative works - which the law allows them to do. They don't let you
> distribute copies of those works unless you agree to their terms for
> doing so. This is _exactly_ what copyright is for - to control the
> conditions under which others can copy your works.

Semantics. Quibbling. If I can't do what I want with a compiler I wrote
because I used Bison to compile it, I don't own it any more.

I'll even give them the right to a version of, say, GNU-Emacs I might
have hacked up. But when they extend this to sections of code that
are purely intended for inclusion in another... such as a library or
parser skeleton... that might be legal but it's neither fair, ethical,
or moral.

> ... [rich and/or highly skilled] programmers are the only
> ones who can use the GNU tools and [control the use of] the resuls.

This is fair? This is ethical? I have other words for this.

> This should be compared with commercial
> tools, where it doesn't matter how skillfull you are, you just have to
> be rich.

You keep making this claim, but it's not backed up by reality. The
highly restrictive licensing agreements, where you have to pay huge
amounts of royalties to distribute binaries, are a thing of the past.
The *market* has spoken. Borland has done more for poor programmers
than the Free Software Foundation.

> So if you're not a member  of the privileged classes, you
> have two choices: use the GNU tools and abide by their terms, or don't
> use any tools at all.

Let me tag this paragraph (reference 1). I'll come back to it later.

If you're not rich you can't afford a computer big enough to use GCC
in the first place anyway. It needs, what, something on the order of
a megabyte of stack? It's cheaper to buy a PC and Microsoft C.

> The commercial licenses have really helped them
> out a lot, haven't they?

Yes.

> You didn't say it, but I don't think I misreprestented your position.
> You don't want FSF exercising their copyrights on derivative works if
> it's not an obvious derivation.

No, I don't want the FSF excersizing their copyrights on works intended
to be used as part of someone else's code. Libraries, the Bison Parser
Skeleton. That sort of thing. Stuff you can't use at all without including
it in your code, and which has to be included in your code if you want to
use the GNU tools.

[back to commercial licenses]
> Correct. However, I don't see any commercial license agreement that
> doesn't require that either I buy time on the target hardware, or that
> the owner of the target hardware buy the commercial product, if I want
> them to have a trivial installation process.

Check out any of Borland's products, Microsoft C, Lattice C, Lattice C++,
Aztec C, or any of the other microcomputer compiler vendors.

> <OK, you're saying I'm incompetant.

> Either that, or misininformed. Probably a mixture of both.

OK. Now we get to the meat of the matter. Personal insults. I can take it.
I've been insulted by far more competant folks than you.

> <For small-volume items, can you make enough to live on? I know RMS doesn't
> <believe in living off software sales. Do you?

> Yes, you can make enough to live on (quite comfortably) on small
> volume items. Check out the salaries people pay Unix systems
> programmers for maintenance positions.

Or for support, like me? Just because my ox isn't being gored directly
doesn't mean I don't have an interest.

> <Oh yes... quality is in the eye of the beholder. I don't have the RAM to
> <spare to run GCC.

> Given the current memory prices, not buying a single commercial
> compiler would pay for that ram.

Not so. You can't buy enough memory to run GNU on any IBM-PC or
clone for any amount of money. I doubt if you could get it to run
on an 80286 at all. I know RMS thinks this is a good thing, but
most folks are stuck with this sort of hardware. You can't talk
about GNU-CC being for the little folks when the little folks can't
afford GNU-CC. (see reference 1 above)

Now I must admit that my machine at home, and Amiga 1000 with 4.5 Meg
of RAM, is more competant... but still the RAM on that machine costs
a lot more than the $400 I spent on my C compiler.

> <> Nope, it's part of the point. The GPL is _not_ incredibly restrictive.

> <Yes it is. It imposes a restriction that is completely unprecedented outside
> <of eastern governments.

> Sorry, but you're wrong. People have sold compilers with yearly rental
> fees and requirements for royalties. Those set a nice precedent.

Yearly rental fees and royalties are in no way equivalent to forcing
people to give away sources.

I'll see you later. This is getting tiresome. You keep pushing arguments
that haven't been even vaguely valid in 10 years, or that won't be valid
for another 10. Meanwhile, I find it more useful to live in the present.

In article <1448@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) writes:
>   I think that a lot of people who are most vocal on this are either
> (a) people who have never sold a piece of software, or (b) have never
> taken the time to properly give software away, with a man page,
> makefile, ifdefs for at least BSD and USG, etc.

Just for the record, I've sold software and given software away. I think
properly, though how ifdefs for USG and BSD would help an Amiga-specific
file requestor (for example) is beyond me :->.

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/04/89)

In article <1448@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
<  I think that a lot of people who are most vocal on this are either
<(a) people who have never sold a piece of software, or (b) have never
<taken the time to properly give software away, with a man page,
<makefile, ifdefs for at least BSD and USG, etc.

I think yo'ure talking through your hat. I know the most vocal two of
us have both 1) sold software, and 2) properly given it away.

BTW, your definition of "proper" and mine differ. It should be
properly ifdef'ed for all distinct OS's it runs on. If you're
unfortunate enough to be working with an OS that has multiple
different variations, you should ifdef it on _features_, not on
variations. Features tend to drift between variations of an OS, but
not across OSs.

While we're at it, if you're going to do it right, you should provide
a script that tweaks the config files for any implementation it runs
on, so that a typical installation process would look like:

	configfor sun
	make
	make install

	<mike
--
The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.		Mike Meyer
My thoughts aren't too clear, but don't run away.	mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <100@euteal.ele.tue.nl> mart@ele.tue.nl (Mart van Stiphout) writes:
<In article <26880@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<>be rich. So if you're not a member  of the privileged classes, you
<>have two choices: use the GNU tools and abide by their terms, or don't
<>use any tools at all.

<So what is all this crap of me being helpless without the gnu tape.
<I can do without gnu. I can't do without commercial software.

If you can afford the commercial software, you're one of the
privileged classes. The statement doesn't apply to you.

	<mike

--
Teddies good friend has his two o'clock feast		Mike Meyer
And he's making Teddies ex girl friend come		mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <5486@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<In article <26880@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<> In article <5361@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<> <In article <26759@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<[ about GNU being about giving away neat tools to my friends ]
<>
<> <This is the silliest argument for the FSF that I've ever seen. I don't *need*
<> <the GNU PUBLIC LICENSE to give away neat software to my friends. I just do
<> <it.
<
<> Do you tell the people who hold the copyrights on those tools that
<> you're doing that?
<
<Since either I own the copyrights on these tools, or they're stuff I got
<through comp.sources.* (of which a vanishingly small percentage are GNU
<stuff)... no.

You mean you don't have any neat tools that are commercial software?
Certainly doesn't say much for commecial software.

<Semantics. Quibbling. If I can't do what I want with a compiler I wrote
<because I used Bison to compile it, I don't own it any more.

By that logic, I don't own copies of any of the software I write using
commercial tools, because I can't do what I want with it. What I want
to do is give someone everything they need to change it to suit their
needs.

<But when they extend this to sections of code that
<are purely intended for inclusion in another... such as a library or
<parser skeleton... that might be legal but it's neither fair, ethical,
<or moral.

Gee, that's how I feel about any tool that's purely intended for
building tools that I can't redistribute: that such limitations are
legal, but aren't fair, ethical or moral.

<> This should be compared with commercial
<> tools, where it doesn't matter how skillfull you are, you just have to
<> be rich.
<
<You keep making this claim, but it's not backed up by reality. The
<highly restrictive licensing agreements, where you have to pay huge
<amounts of royalties to distribute binaries, are a thing of the past.
<The *market* has spoken. Borland has done more for poor programmers
<than the Free Software Foundation.

My fault - I didn't specify everything. I expected the rest of the
context to make my meaning clear, and it obviously didn't.  I didn't
mean that you had to be rich to distribute things built with
commercial tools, but that you had to be rich to buy them. Or are
there commercial tools that have no monetary charge associated with
them?

<If you're not rich you can't afford a computer big enough to use GCC
<in the first place anyway. It needs, what, something on the order of
<a megabyte of stack? It's cheaper to buy a PC and Microsoft C.

You're paying to much for your memory, then.

<> You didn't say it, but I don't think I misreprestented your position.
<> You don't want FSF exercising their copyrights on derivative works if
<> it's not an obvious derivation.
<
<No, I don't want the FSF excersizing their copyrights on works intended
<to be used as part of someone else's code. Libraries, the Bison Parser
<Skeleton. That sort of thing. Stuff you can't use at all without including
<it in your code, and which has to be included in your code if you want to
<use the GNU tools.

You just said what I claimed you said: "I don't want the FSF
exersizing their copyrights". And you accuse _them_ of being unfair?

<> Correct. However, I don't see any commercial license agreement that
<> doesn't require that either I buy time on the target hardware, or that
<> the owner of the target hardware buy the commercial product, if I want
<> them to have a trivial installation process.
<
<Check out any of Borland's products, Microsoft C, Lattice C, Lattice C++,
<Aztec C, or any of the other microcomputer compiler vendors.

I did. All of them do have that requirement. If I want to let someone
run code I develop, I either have to have time on a machine similar
enough to theirs to build a binary for them, or they have to have a
compiler. The sole exception is that some of these people market cross
compilers, so I can get by with time on a machine that the cross
compiler runs on and buying the cross compiler. Big help.

<> Given the current memory prices, not buying a single commercial
<> compiler would pay for that ram.
<
<Not so. You can't buy enough memory to run GNU on any IBM-PC or
<clone for any amount of money. I doubt if you could get it to run
<on an 80286 at all.

In which case, they obviously have no problems whatsoever with the GNU
copyleft. RMS doesn't choose to produce tools for these machines. That
means they lose an option available to others. You think RMS should be
forced to write for those people also?

<Now I must admit that my machine at home, and Amiga 1000 with 4.5 Meg
<of RAM, is more competant... but still the RAM on that machine costs
<a lot more than the $400 I spent on my C compiler.

Yes, but that's a lot more ram than you need to run GCC. Last time I
looked, $400 would buy you an extra meg or two over the original 1/2.
That should do the trick.

<> Sorry, but you're wrong. People have sold compilers with yearly rental
<> fees and requirements for royalties. Those set a nice precedent.
<
<Yearly rental fees and royalties are in no way equivalent to forcing
<people to give away sources.

I didn't say that they were equivalent, I said they set a nice
precedent.

<I'll see you later. This is getting tiresome. You keep pushing arguments
<that haven't been even vaguely valid in 10 years, or that won't be valid
<for another 10. Meanwhile, I find it more useful to live in the present.

Your sense of time is broken - maybe because you spend to much time on
the present, and not enough examining the past or the future. But your
sense of tiresome isn't. We keep going away from the central point,
which is that there are _lots_ of ways to make money off of copylefted
works. Unless you choose to talk about that point, I'm going to drop
the thread too.

Final comment: you seem to care an awful lot about the licensing
restrictions on software you don't use.

	<mike
--
And then up spoke his own dear wife,			Mike Meyer
Never heard to speak so free.				mwm@berkeley.edu

In article <26947@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> I didn't
> mean that you had to be rich to distribute things built with
> commercial tools, but that you had to be rich to buy them.

How much did your computer cost? About $2,000, I'd guess, would be average
for a personal computer. Less if you want to get a good one like an Amiga
instead of an IBM clone. But still, if you can afford that, you can afford
a few hundred dollars for a good C compiler, or a hundred or so for a Modula
compiler.

If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more. You
can buy a lot of commercial software with the difference, and expect to
get help when something goes wrong.

> In which case, they obviously have no problems whatsoever with the GNU
> copyleft. RMS doesn't choose to produce tools for these machines. That
> means they lose an option available to others. You think RMS should be
> forced to write for those people also?

No, but he shouldn't use leftist arguments about how it's cheaper to use
GNU-cc than buy commercial software if he's not going to.

And neither should you.

> We keep going away from the central point,
> which is that there are _lots_ of ways to make money off of copylefted
> works. Unless you choose to talk about that point, I'm going to drop
> the thread too.

I don't choose to talk about that point. It's irrelevant. I can make a
living digging ditches and come home and program, too, but that's also
irrelevant.

> Final comment: you seem to care an awful lot about the licensing
> restrictions on software you don't use.

Because I consider RMS' goals to be evil and rude, and unless someone
stands up and says so lots of people, like you, are going to go along
with him. The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make frankly
scares me.

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/05/89)

In article <5524@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
<In article <26947@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
<> I didn't
<> mean that you had to be rich to distribute things built with
<> commercial tools, but that you had to be rich to buy them.
<
<How much did your computer cost? About $2,000, I'd guess, would be average
<for a personal computer. Less if you want to get a good one like an Amiga
<instead of an IBM clone. But still, if you can afford that, you can afford
<a few hundred dollars for a good C compiler, or a hundred or so for a Modula
<compiler.

How long did you spend writing the compiler using bison? If you can
afford that much time, you can afford to rewrite the back end of
bison. Etc.

In other words, your argument about having to be in a privileged group
to use the GNU tools with your own code in place of the problem parts
is also facetious.

<If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more. You
<can buy a lot of commercial software with the difference, and expect to
<get help when something goes wrong.

You get support from commercial software vendors? I've gotten support
from exactly _one_ commercial software vendor in 15 years of using
commercial software. Hardware vendors do a little better, but not
much. Typical of them is the "fix" for Ultrix 3.0 not supporting uids
greater than 32K. In 3.1, they document that you can't use uids
greater than 32K. This is SOP for most commercial software.

I get more help with non-commercial software than with commercial
software. That's because there's a large body of people using the
non-commercial software who enjoy helping others, and do so. For
commercial software, they can't do that nearly as well - unless they
have the source.

And I don't notice any increase in the cost of my machine if I want to
run GNU tools. On the other hand, I believe in buying adequate
machines to start with.

<> In which case, they obviously have no problems whatsoever with the GNU
<> copyleft. RMS doesn't choose to produce tools for these machines. That
<> means they lose an option available to others. You think RMS should be
<> forced to write for those people also?
<
<No, but he shouldn't use leftist arguments about how it's cheaper to use
<GNU-cc than buy commercial software if he's not going to.
<
<And neither should you.

I don't use leftist arguments. Mine are libertarian arguments. They
just happen to agree with the leftists in this (very restricted) area.

<> We keep going away from the central point,
<> which is that there are _lots_ of ways to make money off of copylefted
<> works. Unless you choose to talk about that point, I'm going to drop
<> the thread too.
<
<I don't choose to talk about that point. It's irrelevant.

If you don't choose to talk about that point, then you shouldn't choose
to complain about copylefted software because you can't make a
profit on it. Because said complaint is false, and people will call
you on it.

<> Final comment: you seem to care an awful lot about the licensing
<> restrictions on software you don't use.
<
<Because I consider RMS' goals to be evil and rude, and unless someone
<stands up and says so lots of people, like you, are going to go along
<with him. The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make frankly
<scares me.

The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make is one hell of a
lot more appealing to me than the one we've got now. That's why I go
along with him. I can understand why those with their wallets firmly
tied to the copyright law would object to such a world. However,
there's no other reason why anyone who actually thought about it would
object to such a world.

	<mike

--
Don't tell me how to live my life			Mike Meyer
Don't tell me what to do				mwm@berkeley.edu

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (08/07/89)

In article <5524@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <26947@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
< < I didn't
< < mean that you had to be rich to distribute things built with
< < commercial tools, but that you had to be rich to buy them.

> How much did your computer cost? About $2,000, I'd guess, would be average
> for a personal computer. Less if you want to get a good one like an Amiga
> instead of an IBM clone. But still, if you can afford that, you can afford
> a few hundred dollars for a good C compiler, or a hundred or so for a Modula
> compiler.

As far as I can tell, there is NO good compiler!  There is NO good language.
I have discussed this in the appropriate newsgroups.

It is easy to give examples of computation of mathematical functions for
which the sources can be easily edited to do the job, but the binaries
can not be.  Even the binaries, disassembled, can be easily edited if the
logic is known, and sometimes even if not.

> If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more. You
> can buy a lot of commercial software with the difference, and expect to
> get help when something goes wrong.

My university seems to think that GNUCC is among the better ones.

< < In which case, they obviously have no problems whatsoever with the GNU
< < copyleft. RMS doesn't choose to produce tools for these machines. That
< < means they lose an option available to others. You think RMS should be
< < forced to write for those people also?

> No, but he shouldn't use leftist arguments about how it's cheaper to use
> GNU-cc than buy commercial software if he's not going to.
>
> And neither should you.

< < We keep going away from the central point,
< < which is that there are _lots_ of ways to make money off of copylefted
< < works. Unless you choose to talk about that point, I'm going to drop
< < the thread too.

> I don't choose to talk about that point. It's irrelevant. I can make a
> living digging ditches and come home and program, too, but that's also
> irrelevant.

< < Final comment: you seem to care an awful lot about the licensing
< < restrictions on software you don't use.

> Because I consider RMS' goals to be evil and rude, and unless someone
> stands up and says so lots of people, like you, are going to go along
> with him. The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make frankly
> scares me.

I consider the non-source attitude of many commercial suppliers evil and
rude.  If I can make my program more efficient, and even easier to
understand, by using hardware capabilities the language designers and
compiler writers do not know of, I think that I am entitled to be very
annoyed that the purveyors of software would so restrict me.  At least
Stallman will provide me with some information, which may or may not be
useful.  He does not misrepresent himself.

But much of the commercial software is written to be difficult to modify.
If they purveyors would even attempt to do something about fixing problems
QUICKLY, the might have a point.  But if a fix has to wait for the next
release, if then, they do not.  I no more expect to see really good software
than I expect to see a computer which can outperform the best mathematicians
in proving theorems, or if that is not to your liking, the best playwrights
and the best painters.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

states)
In article <26945@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think
of something yet) Meyer) writes:
><>be rich. So if you're not a member  of the privileged classes, you
      ^^^^                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>If you can afford the commercial software, you're one of the
>privileged classes. The statement doesn't apply to you.

Y'know (sorry to interupt y'alls argument) but all this talk about 'privilaged
classes' and only the rich can afford software.... Sounds like a bunch of
propaganda to me.

Who ever said that GNU was political has hit it on the head. Sounds like
socialist propaganda, making the 'poor working class' think that the 'rich
capitalists' are Evil and that only GNU can free the working classes with their
FREE software.

If someone wants to give something away, great. If someone wants to charge for
something, equally great. But to try to force someone to do as you wish is
wrong. At least here you have a choice (unlike with some political viewpoints),
don't use GNU.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Never call a man a fool; borrow from him.

mart@ele.tue.nl (Mart van Stiphout) (08/08/89)

In article <26945@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>If you can afford the commercial software, you're one of the
>privileged classes. The statement doesn't apply to you.

The gnu stuff is not a substitute for vendor supplied software.
You can only use it as supplementary software.

Mart van Stiphout

In article <26994@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make is one hell of a
>lot more appealing to me than the one we've got now. That's why I go
>along with him. I can understand why those with their wallets firmly
>tied to the copyright law would object to such a world. However,

There once was a small country named Gnuland. in this land lived a
fanatic kind of people, the gnurus, and their leader: the almighty
Gnuru rms. Their only target in life was to create free software for
the purpose of creating even more free software. They preferred to do
so at night after the usual chinese dinner with their wise leader.
They were all happy and satisfied, mainly because their brainwashed
minds were unable to understand any of the arguments that were put
forward by foreigners (non-gnulanders).

jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) (08/09/89)

>> If I use BISON to create a compiler, is that compiler governed by the GNU
>> liscence?
>
>If you used the BISON parser skeleton, yes. This has been explicitly stated.

OK.  Who wants to write a BISON-compatible parser skeleton that is REALLY
freely distributable?  Make sure you put in a copyright that prevents the
GNU copyright from being added (This is getting silly!)
     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!jpn
smail:	jpn@genrad.com

mwm@consult.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/09/89)

In article <942@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
<Y'know (sorry to interupt y'alls argument) but all this talk about 'privilaged
<classes' and only the rich can afford software.... Sounds like a bunch of
<propaganda to me.

Considing who first brought up the subject of privileged classes,
you're right. The propoganda in question is "You can't use copylefted
software to make money." This was, and remains, a lie.

<But to try to force someone to do as you wish is wrong.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I do use GNU. They don't try and
force me to do anything I don't want to do, unlike most commercial
software.

By the same token, if you find the GNU software forcing you to do
something you don't want to do, don't use it.

	<mike
--
Kiss me with your mouth.				Mike Meyer
Your love is better than wine.				mwm@berkeley.edu

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) (08/09/89)

In article <5524@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
|In article <26947@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:

|How much did your computer cost? About $2,000, I'd guess, would be average
|for a personal computer. Less if you want to get a good one like an Amiga
|instead of an IBM clone. But still, if you can afford that, you can afford
|a few hundred dollars for a good C compiler, or a hundred or so for a Modula
|compiler.

So an Amiga is a "good" computer, but it can't run the software I want to
run.  Interesting definition of "good".

| If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more.

In the local newsgroups, a computer is being offered for sale for a
suggested price of $1000, which will run gcc and friends.  Gcc will
generate faster code than the vender-supplied C compiler.

| You can buy a lot of commercial software with the difference,

I don't know of too much commercial software for sale for a negative
amount of money.

| and expect to get help when something goes wrong.

You can NOT expect help from the vender when something goes wrong.

    _____     						  .-----.
   /_____\    Snoopy					./  RIP	 \.
  /_______\   qiclab!sopwith!snoopy			|  	  |
    |___|     parsely!sopwith!snoopy			| tekecs  |
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		|_________|

	    "You made a woman meow?"

In article <1989Aug8.221257.5506@agate.berkeley.edu>, mwm@consult.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> Considing who first brought up the subject of privileged classes,
> you're right. The propoganda in question is "You can't use copylefted
> software to make money."

You're right, that's the propoganda in question. I didn't say that you
can't use copylefted software to make money. I said that you can't afford
to use GCC or Bison for commercial software, because doing so may put
your software under the copyleft. This is not the same statement.

> This was, and remains, a lie.

The only lie I see is your continual attempts to put words into my mouth
by bringing up this straw man again and again and again.

clay@uci.UUCP (News Administrator) (08/09/89)

In article <24559@genrad.UUCP>, jpn@genrad.com (John P. Nelson) writes:
> >> If I use BISON to create a compiler, is that compiler governed by the GNU
> >> liscence?
> >

> OK.  Who wants to write a BISON-compatible parser skeleton that is REALLY
> freely distributable?  Make sure you put in a copyright that prevents the
> GNU copyright from being added (This is getting silly!)
>      john nelson

At Usenix in Denver a while back, Steven Bourne mentioned something about how
much AT&T missed out revenue-wise in not charging for products created using
yacc and lex.

Sometimes the things we don't think about are kinda scary.

Yes, this is getting silly.

--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.

Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (08/09/89)

In article <102@euteal.ele.tue.nl>, mart@ele (Mart van Stiphout) writes:
> In article <26994@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
> >The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make is one hell of a
> >lot more appealing to me than the one we've got now. That's why I go
> >along with him. I can understand why those with their wallets firmly
> >tied to the copyright law would object to such a world. However,
>
> There once was a small country named Gnuland.

Don't you mean GNU C-land?  :-)

Sorry; I couldn't resist the pun.  Send flames down under.  :-)

> They were all happy and satisfied, mainly because their brainwashed
> minds were unable to understand any of the arguments that were put
> forward by foreigners (non-gnulanders).

Or because the non-GNU C-landers were generally so inarticulate and brainwashed
as to be incapable of rational argument?

					--Scott

Scott Horne                     Undergraduate programmer, Yale CS Dept Facility
horne@cs.Yale.edu                         ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
Home: 203 789-0877     SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
Work: 203 432-1260              Summer residence:  175 Dwight St, New Haven, CT
Dare I speak for the amorphous gallimaufry of intellectual thought called Yale?

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/10/89)

In article <5524@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

| > Final comment: you seem to care an awful lot about the licensing
| > restrictions on software you don't use.
|
| Because I consider RMS' goals to be evil and rude, and unless someone
| stands up and says so lots of people, like you, are going to go along
| with him. The idea of living in the world RMS is trying to make frankly
| scares me.

  Although I disagree with RMS, and have said so in the past, I don't
think his ideas are so much *evil* as impractical. The idea of some rich
bunch of programmers dispensing software as a bounty is interesting, but
in the long term the people who will keep writing and supporting
software are being paid for it.

  I obviously like the idea of free software, and I've posted and
otherwise made a reasonable quantity available, back to the CP/M days.
What I don't like is the idea that having done so I have any moral
high ground from which I can force people to give their creations away.
In fact I couldn't afford to have a computer of my own if I didn't sell
some software now and then.

  I will leave the question of "rude" alone, with regard to the goals
and the person.

In article <24559@genrad.UUCP> jpn@genrad.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>OK.  Who wants to write a BISON-compatible parser skeleton that is REALLY
>freely distributable?  Make sure you put in a copyright that prevents the
>GNU copyright from being added (This is getting silly!)
>     john nelson

Tee-hee.  It's truly tempting.  Perhaps we'll see teams of people soon
writing "truly free(tm)" libraries for GCC, parser skeletons for Bison
and more.

It has always struck me as odd that when RMS's goal has been to remove
the issues of intellectual property politics and ownership from software,
his actual result has been to create vastly greater amounts of
political debate and lawyering.

One might be tempted to say, "get your lawyers off my software."
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/11/89)

In article <275@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>|How much did your computer cost? About $2,000, I'd guess, would be average
>|for a personal computer. Less if you want to get a good one like an Amiga
>|instead of an IBM clone. But still, if you can afford that, you can afford
>|a few hundred dollars for a good C compiler, or a hundred or so for a Modula
>|compiler.
>
>So an Amiga is a "good" computer, but it can't run the software I want to
>run.  Interesting definition of "good".

It'll probably run GCC if you add the extra memory and spend the time
porting it.  Using availability of software YOU want as a criteria
of whether a computer is good or not is interesting.  Do you always
get calls from computer companies to get your opinion?  That may be
a good definition for you personally, but not the rest of the world
- we have other definitions that may or may-not agree.

>| If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more.
>
>In the local newsgroups, a computer is being offered for sale for a
>suggested price of $1000, which will run gcc and friends.

I am curious, actually.  Perhaps you are referring to a used computer
(such as a used PDP)?  I would find it hard to find the memory needed
to run GCC (on any but toy programs) for $750...

What is this magical computer?  Will it be able to compile GCC using
GCC?

>You can NOT expect help from the vender when something goes wrong.

Then you have the wrong vendor...  That's part of MY definition of a
'good' computer.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

talvola@janus.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (08/12/89)

In article <662@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) writes:

   In article <275@sopwith.UUCP> snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
   >| If you want to run GNUCC, your computer is going to cost a lot more.
   >
   >In the local newsgroups, a computer is being offered for sale for a
   >suggested price of $1000, which will run gcc and friends.

   I am curious, actually.  Perhaps you are referring to a used computer
   (such as a used PDP)?  I would find it hard to find the memory needed
   to run GCC (on any but toy programs) for $750...

   What is this magical computer?  Will it be able to compile GCC using
   GCC?

I believe he may be refering to the Atari ST.  Someone just recently posted
a port of GCC v1.34 for the Atari ST to the atari newsgroup.  I don't have
an ST, so don't ask me for any more details, but if the ST is really
powerful enough to run GCC, then I am impressed.

For a little more money (say $2000), you could probably get a bare bones
16 MHz 80386 PC clone, which should run GCC fine (if you run Unix on it).

--
! Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative