[comp.misc] Re^2: Productivity of Knowledge Workers

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (09/28/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>One of the mo)ul things a computer can do for an organisation
>around papers, you pass around floppy disks.

>Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a user
>has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And users
>have no access to each others' files, either because of network limitations
>(the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a given box), or
>because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).

>An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
>on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

I agree with Peter that hordes of PCs (networked or not) are a non-optimal
means of improving knowledge-worker productivity.   While the typical
atypical (and hopefully interesting) approach to the automation of knowledge
workers.

For the past five years I have been working on an implementation aimed at
addressing these same issues, as well as increasing the productivity of
knowledge workers.  For the record I am _not_ an EDS employee, but a
civilian director of an EDS contract with the PA Senate.  If this sounds
like 'horn tooting' please rest assured that things are not perfect by
any means and a great deal of work remains to be done.   At present
the overall configuration is some 32 LANs connected by a WAN, with nearly
150 workstations (and still growing)

Our 32 office LANs are composed of Convergent Technologies NGENS (80x86) with
1-4 MB of memory each, running CTOS or CTOS VM OS.  CT systems are about
the size of a large lunch box, and have RS-422 LAN, RS-232 and Centronics
ports built in, as well as an expansion bus for 'snapping on' (literally)
hard disk, tape, voice processor, and/or comm processor modules. (these
modules also look a lot like lunch boxes :-) A typical office lan consists
of a 'master' station with an 80MB SCSI drive, tape backup, 4-15 diskless
workstations, and a couple of printers.   PCs can be added to the LAN
(if you must :-) and share the print and disk resources of the master.

Each user station has its own memory and CPU, but
relies on a message passing type of remote request routing for disk and
print access, as well as access to comm/db servers on the 'master' station.
The OS is multi-tasking/processing, and a context switching user interface
allows users to run multiple applications.  CTOS VM runs in protected mode,
with option of running 'virtual PCs' on the 386 based CPUs.

For those familiar with QNX,
there is some conceptual similarity.  Requests for services 'known to exist'
but not locally serviceable are routed to the master; routing parameters
can also be configured to access a remote server (master) across the WAN.

The built in LAN capability has allowed us to structure office installations
such that work-sharing was possible from the very beginning(1982). (we didn't
have to 'break' a bunch of lone ranger PC types into good natured LANers)
Information and resource sharing were major factors in our design.

The WAN is X.25 based, connecting some 30 office LANS to host gateways and
electronic mail service.  (the mail system is proprietary with a built in
user interface-- I am told that an SMTP gateway is available).  At present
we are using a private PSN by Memotec, although using public X.25 service
is the usual mode of doing extended-WAN configurations with CT equipment.

A secondary factor in inproving interaction between users is the standard-
ization of software.  In all cases we utilize CT's office automation suite
which consists of a high end word processing package with moderate-to-good
desktop publishing capilities, a lotus 1-2-3 clone, Multiplan, a simple
records data base, a charting/drawing package and 3270 emulation. Since
all of the software is the same, interoperability and training are 'non-
issues'.  (it comes in any color so long as you want black).  Persons
with 'especial' computing needs get PCs and outside training.

-*-

The early returns are quite good.  Automation of the Communications/PR
Policy Research, Legal Staff, and research analysts have gone quite well.
Email has caught on well, and is used as a means of speeding revision
cycles on documents.  Although it may seem authoritarian, I would posit
that a direction for cultivating a healthy 'knowledge-worker' population
is to contain the 'lone rangers' long enough to develop some well thought
out standards.  I guess Well Thought Out is difficult to define also :-)

- JDMC

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your life or your lupins!"