[comp.misc] Hacking into Citibank

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (10/21/89)

In article <247@zircon.UUCP> meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) writes:
}"...The boy shared the information on how to tap into the bank's
}computers on more than 60 private computer 'bulletin boards' across
}the nation"
}
}Does anyone know which BBS this information is stored on, or do you
}have a copy of the information ?

WHAT?!

Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
seanf@sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._

falk@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (10/21/89)

In article <3465@scolex.sco.COM>, seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
> In article <247@zircon.UUCP> meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) writes:
> }"...The boy shared the information on how to tap into the bank's
> }computers on more than 60 private computer 'bulletin boards' across
> }the nation"
> }
> }Does anyone know which BBS this information is stored on, or do you
> }have a copy of the information ?
>
> WHAT?!
>
> Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
> about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
> a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).

So does the FBI
--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems, sun!falk, falk@sun.com

  "If you wrapped yourself in the flag like George Bush does, you'd
  be worried about flag-burning too"

mb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Bloom) (10/22/89)

	      ^^^^^^^^
In article <3465@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
>about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
>a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).

Really? ( No kidding! :-)

Sean, I missed this guy's posting.  Would you be so kind as to send
me a copy?

barr@caen.engin.umich.edu (William Barr) (10/23/89)

In article <3465@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>In article <247@zircon.UUCP> meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) writes:
>}"...The boy shared the information on how to tap into the bank's
>}computers on more than 60 private computer 'bulletin boards' across
>}the nation"
>}
>}Does anyone know which BBS this information is stored on, or do you
>}have a copy of the information ?
>
>WHAT?!
>
>Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
>about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
>a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).

Big Deal.   If it was truly posted to 60 boards (or 6 for that matter) it is
more or less public knowledge among mostly inexperienced hackers.  That is to
say, anything that has been posted to 60 boards is old news.  The really good
hackers don't post that kind of stuff.  If they share it with anyone (and they
usually do) it will be with close friends.  When a hacker writes it up in a
file and posts it (even on private hacker boards, generally), he's done having
his fun with the system.  Of course these are only my opinions and are
primarily besed on spending a couple years (back when I was 15) reading and
gaining memberships to private BBSs.  Of course, I never actually applied
anything I learned there in an illegal manner.  It was purely curiosity.

I'm sure the holes have already been closed.  CitiBank should let us know
just how careless (if that is the case) they were or how good the hackers
were by posting what happend in detail.

 Isn't CitiBank rumored to also be laundering money for lots of big coke
dealers as well as having handled the Contra arms/drug money?

>Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
>seanf@sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._
>(408) 458-1422   | Any opinions expressed are my own, not my employers'.

---
barr@caen.engin.umich.edu

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (10/24/89)

In article <3465@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
}In article <247@zircon.UUCP> meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) writes:
}}"...The boy shared the information on how to tap into the bank's
}}computers on more than 60 private computer 'bulletin boards' across
}}the nation"
}}
}}Does anyone know which BBS this information is stored on, or do you
}}have a copy of the information ?

}Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
}about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
}a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).

We certainly do, and we're very interested in getting whatever information
we can on the situation.  Replies by e-mail, please.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) (10/24/89)

In article <126655@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> falk@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) writes:
+In article <3465@scolex.sco.COM>, seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
+> In article <247@zircon.UUCP> meadley@cell.mot.COM (A. Meadley) writes:
+> }"...The boy shared the information on how to tap into the bank's
+> }computers on more than 60 private computer 'bulletin boards' across
+> }the nation"
+> }
+> }Does anyone know which BBS this information is stored on, or do you
+> }have a copy of the information ?
+>
+> WHAT?!
+>
+> Look, if you're going to try to break the law, how about being more subtle
+> about it, eh?  You never know *who* is reading the networks (and I know, for
+> a fact, that people at CitiBank *do* read UseNET).
+
+So does the FBI

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that the FBI archives UseNet.
And yes - *IF* I was intending to break the law, then I *WOULD*
be more subtle about it.

However the point of my posting was solely to gain information.
As such my request for information still stands : Can anyone give
me any on this subject ?

Ant in Chicago
uunet!motcid!marble!meadley

ps. And could you please direct flames via e-mail ?