[comp.misc] Latex help

cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (cogen) (10/18/89)

What do you suppose the appropriate newsgroup for tex and latex questions is? I
can't find any likely candidates. But latex is a very awkward and confusing
system that gives many people trouble.

Here're some of my problems.

1: I want less than 1 inch blank space at the top of my page. \topskip is
already 0, and negative numbers don't seem to have any further effect.

2: I don't like the title produced by \maketitle in article style. It takes too
much space. Are there parameters controlling the spacing between top of page,
title, author, date, and beginning of text.

3: How do I obtain the text defined by a \title command, for use in a \markright
command?

4. I want to move backwards by the width of a piece of text, so I can overprint
the same text slightly offset for a bold effect. I use \settowidth, but I can't
seem to negate the width. I do something like

\newcounter{thewidth}
the text\settowidth{\thewidth}{the text} \hspace{-\thewidth+0.1em}the text

but it seems to ignore the hspace.

4:: How can I find the answers to these questions myself?

jjsf@gmv.es (Julio Sanchez) (10/21/89)

In article <1573@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (cogen) writes:
>What do you suppose the appropriate newsgroup for tex and latex questions is? I
>can't find any likely candidates. But latex is a very awkward and confusing
>system that gives many people trouble.

There is no such group, as far as I know. There is the TeXhax mailing list.
Send subscription requests to:

	TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu

Julio Sanchez                            Ph. +34 1 234 30 04
Grupo de Mecanica del Vuelo, S.A. (GMV)  Fax +34 1 233 32 50
Cristobal Bordiu, 35                     Telex  48487 GMEV E
E-28003 MADRID                           jsanchez@gmv.es
SPAIN                                    mcvax!gmv.es!jsanchez@uunet.uu.net
                                         uunet!mcvax!gmv.es!jsanchez

maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) (10/24/89)

In article <1341@colon.gmv.es> jjsf@colon.UUCP (Julio Sanchez) writes:
>In article <1573@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (cogen) writes:
>>What do you suppose the appropriate newsgroup for tex and latex questions is? I
>>
>There is no such group, as far as I know. There is the TeXhax mailing list.
>Send subscription requests to:
>
>	TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu

You could try comp.text - this handes mainly *roff stuff, but there is
quite alot of TeX/LaTeX(...) stuff in there also.

- RC

/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
JANET:  maujt@uk.ac.warwick.cu                    |"I want it all, and I
ARPA:   maujt@cu.warwick.ac.uk                    | want it now"
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!maujt               |             ~ Queen
BITNET: maujt%uk.ac.warwick.cu@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk |
/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
Richard Cox, Undergrad, Applied Maths, University Of Warwick, Coventry, UK

yxoc@sbsvax.UUCP (Ralf Treinen) (10/24/89)

In article <288@orchid.warwick.ac.uk>, maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) writes:
> In article <1341@colon.gmv.es> jjsf@colon.UUCP (Julio Sanchez) writes:
> >In article <1573@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (cogen) writes:
> >>What do you suppose the appropriate newsgroup for tex and latex questions is? I
> >>
> >	TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
>
> You could try comp.text - this handes mainly *roff stuff, but there is
> quite alot of TeX/LaTeX(...) stuff in there also.

The TeXhax mailing list is distributed via USENET in the comp.text newsgroup.
The following might be interesting for all LaTeX novices (the author is
Max Hailperin, Stanford):

Lately, many sites have installed LaTeX without having, acquiring, or
developing a LaTeX expert.  Many simple LaTeX questions from those
sites have been posted directly to TeXhax, clogging it and prompting
redundant replies.

Therefore, a number of TeXhax subscribers have formed a volunteer LaTeX
question answering corps.  LaTeX users with questions should take the
following steps:
 1) Read the manual very carefully, including a careful check of the index.
    Most questions are answered there.
 2) Check whether anyone locally can answer your question.  Consider
    not only paid systems staff but also more experienced users.  Similarly,
    if you paid a commercial company good money for LaTeX, you should demand
    customer support from them--after all LaTeX is available for free.
 3) See if you can work it out yourself, and in the process build LaTeX
    expertise, by use of careful test cases, tracing mode, examining the
    LaTeX source files, etc.  Don't go crazy if you're a non-programmer, but
    give it a shot.
 4) If all of the above fail, *don't* send mail to TeXhax.  Instead, send
    mail to LaTeX-help@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU  .  Your mail will automatically
    be forwarded to a member of the volunteer corps, in a round-robin
    rotation.  You should hear back shortly, either with a solution to your
    problem, a request for additional information, or the remark that it
    exceeded the volunteer's abilities and has been forwarded to other
    experts, including further volunteers and the TeXhax mailing list.  If you
    don't hear anything after waiting a reasonable period, write to
    LaTeX-help-coordinator@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU with as much
    information about your original mailing as you have, and I'll try to
    track down how it got lost.

Please do not abuse this service.  We volunteers have lots of work of
our own to do, and will not continue volunteering if the burden is
excessive.  Make sure you try steps 1-3 before step 4, and always be
eager to help others locally who are a step behind you.  Also, join TUG
(the TeX Users' Group) if you haven't and avail yourself of their classes and
publications to develop in-house LaTeX expertise.

If you have any questions or comments on this, please write to
LaTeX-help-coordinator@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU -- not directly to the
current person holding that position, as it may change.

| X400 : treinen%fb10vax.informatik.uni-saarland.dbp.de          (preferred!) |
|                                US sites should add : @relay.cs.net          |
| UUCP : ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!treinen        or        treinen@sbsvax.UUCP  |
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Ralf Treinen                         | Universitaet des Saarlandes          |
| FB 14 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)     | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany |

cheers% grep text /etc/news/newsgroups
alt.hypertext		Discussion of hypertext -- uses, transport, etc.
comp.editors		Topics related to computerized text editing.
comp.text		Text processing issues and methods.
comp.text.desktop	Technology & techniques of desktop publishing.
cheers%

Bingo--- comp.text; and it is not a new group.  Please try looking in
files such as /usr/lib/news/newsgroups before asking such easily
answered questions.  If your aren't sure about the newsgroup, read a
few articles in it.

If news is running at your site, *someone* has to know how to use it.

Cheers!greg