[comp.misc] Low Productivity of Knowledge Workers

lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (09/15/89)

I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.

1. Can anyone provide references to research on this question?

2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (09/16/89)

In <9676@venera.isi.edu> Laurence I. Press wrote:
> I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
> asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
> by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
> was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.
>
> 1. Can anyone provide references to research on this question?
>
> 2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

I've been thinking about asking the net that same question myself. It seems
to me that the first thing to do would be to investigate whether productivity
gains linked to computer use have been recorded elsewhere (i.e. Japan or
Europe).

It may simply be that our methods of measuring `productivity' are at fault.
Is it computed as dollars of corporate revenue generated per employee?

What of industries that claim to be computer success stories -- airline
reservation systems/travel agencies, accounting firms, banking, etc? Do
*they* report hard data on productivity gains?

If productivity growth has been flat, what is the limiting factor? Are the
machines not powerful enough? Are potential gains lost in the shuffle of
procedures designed for paper? Are the increased revenues less than the cost of
carrying the systems?

There are lots of important questions to be answered here.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) (09/16/89)

In article <9676@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
>asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
>by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
>was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.
>[request for references deleted, I don't have any]
>2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

Wild speculation follows.

From a purely experiential viewpoint, I have long suspected that the
"productivity gains" wrought by computers are mostly a) ephemeral or
b) difficult to define in terms of the "prior art".

In my mind, the difficulty lies here: The only really good answer to
the non-user question, "What exactly can I DO with a computer?" -- after
you've run through the standard spreadsheet-wordprocessor litany --
is "Mostly things you'd never THINK of doing without one." BECAUSE
most people and most organizations have gotten along well for years
without computers, the possible improvements to be wrought by the
adoption of computer assistance are, by definition, outside their
experience. To use a musical example, a MIDI studio is not a "better"
way of putting together a piece of music -- it's a qualitatively
DIFFERENT way. And the music made with it will be different --
unconstrained by certain prior limitations, but constrained by
altogether NEW limitations introduced by precisely the technology
that makes it possible.

The second problem arises when suppositions which seem intuitively
correct turn out to be fallacious. A wonderful example of this
is the "paperless office," which everybody felt was right around the
corner in the early '80s. But instead of being used as a substitute
for written documents, computers have become an "efficient" highspeed
GENERATOR of same.

Another common phenomenon is related to the fact that the computer
is great at processing quantitative data, but utterly useless in
approaching the qualitative. This leads to the attribution of a
higher value to quantitative data -- the "bottom line" -- at
the expense of equally important qualitative factors -- customer
goodwill, reputation for quality -- which are not susceptible of
computerization. I personally know of a case in which cost analyses
led to the elimination of such nonessentials as "free beer in the
icebox of the employees' lounge". Seems reasonable -- but the
elimination of the free beer led DIRECTLY to the loss of several
of the company's most productive employees, and the company began
to experience financial problems. Even though the people with whom
these employess were replaced were, quantitatively, "just as
qualified" as the employees who were lost. There is no way (as far
as I know) that ANY MIS program could possible equate free beer
with enhanced productivity :-)

As I see it, then, the problem is primarily one of "trying to put
new wine into old skins." We will have to EVOLVE techniques of
using computers to increase productivity -- simply doing the old
thing faster and more accurately won't work. And we will have to
get over our fascination with the reams of precise quantitative
data we can produce with 'em, and develop means of giving equal
attention to the factors of productivity which cannot, by nature,
be analyzed.
					--Al Evans--
--
Al Evans					"You'd grep to know what
...uunet!execu!sequoia!crucible!al			 you really sed."

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/17/89)

In <9676@venera.isi.edu> Laurence I. Press wrote:
> I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
> asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
> by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
> was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.

> 2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

My little theory on the subject is that what's done on computers
is done faster, and/or it looks prettier, but since the computer's
so versatile, it's also a wonderful TOY. You can actually look
like you're working while you're highly enjoying yourself playing
some sort of game (or, you can quickly sontext-switch into a
spreadsheet or whatever, especially with the "Set Aside" MF :-)

This means, we do as much as we did before, but we do it faster and
neater, and thus have more time for recreation while we're being
paid for it. Uhh... I'm a consultant, I shouldn't be saying this...
But since I work late at nights, I really don't clock my time, but
estimates how much time the work done is worth, and my employer's
quite happy about that.

How many of you folks out there do the same ? :-)

--
Life's a bitch, then you die.

arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/17/89)

>I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
>asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
>by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
>was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.
>
>1. Can anyone provide references to research on this question?
>
>2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

A number of responses have been posted to this query but they all have seemed
to skirt an interesting reason... One poster noted that computers allow users
to do all sorts of things that couldn't be done before -- another poster noted
that 'productivity' was measured in $ of revenue/# of employees.  There are
two productivity issues which cannot be directly imparted by a $/# calculation.
Both have to do with competitiveness and both (_I_ think) are directly affected
by computerization: Quality and Complexity.  Let me explain --

QUALITY

Frankly, I cringe now when I, as a business person, receive a handwritten note
of more than five words or a typed resume.  I have an expectation that people
will use word-processors, and laser printers and desk-top publishing to produce
correspondance and important documents like resumes.  The standards have gone
up regarding the proper public image that an individual or business must
present and there is a corresponding increase in cost to produce the higher
quality correspondance and publications.  If businesses and individuals don't
live up to this quality mandate, they will suffer in the marketplace -- images
have a lot to do with sales.  In addition, there are all sorts of expectations
about document delivery.  Ten years ago, what was the average cost of mailing
things to your business associates?  Today, how many fax machines does your
business have and how many Federal Express packages do you send a month? (week,
day?)  This is an increase in the cost of doing business.  It directly affects
productivity and it is the direct affect of "technology."  But again, if you
didn't meet this quality expectation, your business would suffer in the
marketplace.  Finally, there are a lot of expectations regarding the presen-
tation of materials now that just didn't apply ten years ago.  Graphics, charts,
intricate lay out -- all are now a part of the basic documents that not to
long ago were pure text.  This added quality in the material presentation costs
money -- further eroding "productivity."  But again -- it is necessary to do
these things in order to compete.

COMPLEXITY

The speed of business transactions and their complexity has expanded as
quickly as our increased computing and telecommunications.  Many more companies
today are operating across international boundaries, in geographically
disparate offices, and with highly time sensitive data.  Frankly, there
are a lot of businesses that are just not possible without the complex
infrastructure of technology -- how do you compute that into "productivity?"
I mentioned Federal Express before -- how could that business survive without
computation?  The reason they can charge so much to move a couple of pieces
of paper across country for is you is not only because you know it will get
their overnight -- but also because if it doesn't you can call them and the
person in Nebraska who answers your call from Boston will know that your
package to San Francisco is in a delivery truck crossing the Bay Bridge, en
route from Oakland (and can also probably tell you that it went to Oakland
because you got the zip code wrong, and can tell you the name of the person
who will deliver the package and the time within five minutes of when it
will be delivered.  And I think that is a simple example of the complexity
that computers allow --

Now, everyone reading this probably understands intimately the technology
that makes all of this possible but you might not have thought about it as
part of the bottom line -- there are some other offsets to productivity
that are important to consider: training, sunk costs for equipment and
networking, system administration, and increased information needs.  But
the point is -- we are able to do more and more and must in order to
remain competitive.

--Ted

Edward Shelton, Project Manager
ARCH Development Corporation
arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) (09/18/89)

In article <189@crucible.UUCP> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:
>From a purely experiential viewpoint, I have long suspected that the
>"productivity gains" wrought by computers are mostly a) ephemeral or
>b) difficult to define in terms of the "prior art".
>
>In my mind, the difficulty lies here: The only really good answer to
>the non-user question, "What exactly can I DO with a computer?" -- after
>you've run through the standard spreadsheet-wordprocessor litany --
>is "Mostly things you'd never THINK of doing without one." . . .

Our experience with office automation tends to confirm this in part.
The introduction of a large distributed system that provides, among
other things, more-or-less effortless electronic mail and the ability
to put shared files on servers where they are easily accessible has
reduced the number of telephone calls and memos to some extent.  But
it has improved internal communication dramatically.

The "standard spreadsheet-wordprocessor litany" did help us improve
our productivity, especially since a significant segment of our
professional staff (radio broadcasters who work in 44 languages) did
not even use typewriters before we gave them computer workstations.
But the improved communication that our own little computer revolution
has brought about has fundamentally changed our organization.

--
Chris Kern			     Voice of America, Washington, D.C.
...uunet!voa3!ck					+1 202-485-7020

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (09/18/89)

In article <189@crucible.UUCP> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:

>As I see it, then, the problem is primarily one of "trying to put
>new wine into old skins." We will have to EVOLVE techniques of
>using computers to increase productivity -- simply doing the old
>thing faster and more accurately won't work. And we will have to
>get over our fascination with the reams of precise quantitative
>data we can produce with 'em, and develop means of giving equal
>attention to the factors of productivity which cannot, by nature,
>be analyzed.

Very thoughtful answer -- it reminds me a lot of a book I read not
too long ago: "In the Age of the Smart Machine" by Harvard sociologist
Shoshanna Zuboff.  Her thesis is that we are currently undergoing a
workplace revolution as far reaching as the Industrial Revolution.
To her thinking, our current metrics of "work" and (more importantly)
the goals we set for workers based upon those metrics and the *methods*
used to achieve those goals must evolve for us to take full advantage
of the potential offered by an 'informated' (her term) environment.  She
looked at a variety of workplace environments for this book ranging from
several pulp mills undergoing automation to "high-level" executives at a
large banking corporation.  One of the wonderful things is that the book
has a liberal number of quotations from workers involved with job
transformations though computing machinery.  The quotes are right on
target, and the book raises a number of insightful and thoughtful points.
I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this discussion.  It even
has pictures...

Brad Garton
Columbia University Music Department
brad@woof.columbia.edu

gerwitz@HP-UX.kodak.com (Paul Gerwitz) (09/18/89)

In article <9676@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>I recently heard Michael Scott-Morton give a talk in which he
>asserted that U. S. knowledge worker productivity has not been increased
>by all of our personal computers.  I was also told that there
>was a fairly recent Fortune Magazine article making the same point.
>
>1. Can anyone provide references to research on this question?
>
>2. If this is true, would you care to speculate on why?

I'm not sure if Mr. Morton was responsible for the remarks, but after
talking to other management types, I would tend to agree to some extent.
It seems that the problem is that most applications in the commercial and
manufacturing areas were developed as excelerators of existing paper or
human systems.  Mike Hammer (MIT, Index Group Prism) aludes to the need for
IS to transform, simplify and redeem a business.  I recommend an article on
Dr. Hammer in Information Week, July 3-10, Page 36.
 | Paul F Gerwitz       | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                             |
 | Eastman Kodak Co     | UUCP: ..rutgers!rochester!kodak!eastman!gerwitz     |

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (09/20/89)

I didn't want to jump in but ....

I'm a pretty biased person when it comes to computers but I can describe
one specific aspect I have observed that has a strong positive impact
on white collar productivity: email.

At the `soft', we use email to tremendous benefit.  I've worked at companies
that didn't have email and I found that dealing with people outside your
immediate group to be incredibly inefficient -- phone tag and notes left
on peoples desks for example.  Now, I just send email.  Meetings are an
order of magnitude easier to arrange.  Another benefit is that it flattens
the organization.  My boss, his boss, his boss's boss, ... can ask me
questions and carry on a conversation with me.  Also, you can have discussion
groups with out calling meetings.  Its not unusual for the chairman of the
board to ask questions of individual contributors via email.  The entire
organization is far more efficient -- decisions are made and information
is distributed more quickly.

There is a dark side to email.  Humor doesn't communicate well.  The
distribution can be TOO wide and generate controversy/chaos. Its very easy
mortally insult someone, with out trying.  People can become isolated.
Its very easy to ignore mail you don't want to deal with (my biggest sin).
Some people just can't write but their verbal expression is good.

Even with the bad, I believe that Email connected organizations are much more
efficient.  I would never want to go back to a non-email environment.

Phil Barrett
Microsoft

I am solely responsible for the above comments

ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) (09/20/89)

In article <7765@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
>Even with the bad, I believe that Email connected organizations are much more
>efficient.  I would never want to go back to a non-email environment.

I'm not sure how many of our 1400 users *could* go back to working
without electronic mail.  Their dependence on it becomes manifest when
one of them experiences a workstation hardware problem.  Even though
our user support staff typically responds to a call for help in 5
minutes and the vendor (whose field staff is on-site) typically gets
a technician to a malfunctioning system in 15 minutes, I often receive
urgent requests -- "I had to phone because my computer is down and I
can't send mail to you." -- to intercede on a user's behalf to somehow
hurry up the repair process.  Comments include "I feel completely
disconnected" from the rest of the organization and (this usually from
a manager whose own workstation is ailing) "I can't get *any* work done."

Our electronic mail system is distributed among seven servers; when one
goes down, everybody can still send mail and only the users whose
"mailboxes" reside on the afflicted server are unable to receive mail.
All other system services (local workstation operations such as word
processing, use of file servers, etc.) are unaffected.  Nevertheless,
many people experience the failure of a mail server as a systemic failure.
Comments we have heard include "when will you be able to get SNAP (the
name of the entire system) up again" and "no electronic mail is getting
through"; the latter is patently, and easily provably, false, but it
demonstrates the sense of panic many users genuinely feel when there is
any failure to meet their expectations about electronic mail.

If we tore it all out, we might have to retire a large part of the staff
on disability pensions :-).

--
Chris Kern			     Voice of America, Washington, D.C.
...uunet!voa3!ck					+1 202-485-7020

In article <7765@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:

|  At the `soft', we use email to tremendous benefit.  I've worked at companies
|  that didn't have email and I found that dealing with people outside your
|  immediate group to be incredibly inefficient -- phone tag and notes left
|  on peoples desks for example.  [ more good stuff on email ]

  You're not alone in that. I am part of a group which installed and is
enhancing a corporate email gateway system, between corporate DECnet,
local ethernet, internet, usenet, bitnet, QuickComm, etc. We also route
for FIDOnet and Compu$erve via gateways. I a recent user survey on
services provided, email was rated as "important to productivity" or
"very important to productivity" by more respondents than any other
service we provide.
that the world is flat!" - anon

kencr@haddock.ima.isc.com (Kenny Crudup) (09/21/89)

In article <1680@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) says:
>How many of you folks out there do the same ? :-)

What, do stuff like read news on company time?
Heck no! No consultants I know! :-) I'm testing NNTP!!

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Interactive Systems Co.(386/ix), Cambridge MA
Don't worry- I haven't lost my mind....its backed up on tape *somewhere*....

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (09/22/89)

In article <7765@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
>There is a dark side to email...
>Some people just can't write but their verbal expression is good.

That sword swings both directions.  Some people express themselves
much better in writing than they do verbally.  I, for one.  In that
regard, I would rather use email than many other forms of business
communication.

One factor which I believe contributes to less-than-hoped-for gains
from entering the computer realm is that many people/companies are
unwilling to embrace the technology to such an extent where they gain
the full benefit of it.  One place I know of produces a large volume
of paper in-house mail, and has ongoing problems with miscommunication.
Still, they refuse to use email, even though everyone in the company
has a terminal readily available to him/her.  I've suggested increased
usage of email several times, but they don't want to touch it.

--
                                  David Sandberg - Quadric Systems
 "As of Friday, August 25, 1989,  PSEUDO: dts@quad.uucp

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/22/89)

In article <425@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
<In article <7765@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:

<| At the `soft', we use email to tremendous benefit.  I've worked at companies
<| that didn't have email and I found that dealing with people outside your
<| immediate group to be incredibly inefficient -- phone tag and notes left
<| on peoples desks for example.  [ more good stuff on email ]

<You're not alone in that. [...]
<A recent user survey on
<services provided, email was rated as "important to productivity" or
<"very important to productivity" by more respondents than any other
<service we provide.

Yes. But what do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
email on a regular basis (or at all), and those people (who are typically
important) who demand printed copies of everything? I tried to go paperless
back about 1979, to no avail.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply
"Word Processing" since 1975.
Email since 1978 (roughly)

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/23/89)

In article <5978@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

> What do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
> email on a regular basis (or at all), and those people (who are
> typically important) who demand printed copies of everything?

You convince top management to adopt email.  When middle managers discover
that they are missing messages from the chief by not reading their email,
they will quickly learn to do so.  They can even learn to print out their
own hard-copy if they can't live without it.

ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) (09/23/89)

writes:
> ... But what do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
>email on a regular basis (or at all) ...

Find people fairly senior in each target group who are receptive to using
office automation.  Those with personal computers at home are often good
candidates.  Explain, in organizational terms (avoid gee whizzery), what
you think the benefits of electronic mail will be.  Offer them workstations.
Give them an opportunity to discover for themselves how easily they can
acquire new information through the use of this informal medium.  Their
peers will notice that your candidates have better information than they do.
Their subordinates will want an opportunity to communicate with them
electronically.

Sit back and watch the fun.  The doubters will be persuaded -- for
bureaucratic-political, if not intellectual reasons.  It doesn't take long.
We reached "critical mass" in a couple of months.  After that, there was
no going back.  Not all our users can articulate the benefits they derive
from electornic mail, but we have a strong consensus that it is essential
to the management and daily operations of the organization.

By the way, be prepared to offer special assistance to those who really
are afraid to use computers.  Individual training often is a necessity for
these users because what really frightens them is the prospect of fumbling
while they are learning and consequently looking foolish to their colleagues
or subordinates.  It often is important to train managers before you train
their subordinates.  It is also important to restrain the natural tendency
that many implementors have to show off all the nifty features of their
systems.  Figure out what really is important to your new users.  Teach them
to use those features only.  Once they are comfortable using the technology,
they will pick up new tricks on their own.  And teach you a few, too.

--

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/24/89)

In article <5978@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Yes. But what do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
>email on a regular basis (or at all), and those people (who are typically

Send the invitation to the Yearly Company PicNic by email only, show of
hands to user@system.

>important) who demand printed copies of everything? I tried to go paperless
>back about 1979, to no avail.

Write a file (typically .impsig) that contains:

If you want a printed copy of this message, please type the following three
lines at the prompt:

s foo
!print foo
!rm foo

:-)

h+@nada.kth.se
--
$400,000,000,000 is a large sum of money.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/24/89)

In article <675@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
> You convince top management to adopt email.  When middle managers discover
> that they are missing messages from the chief by not reading their email,
> they will quickly learn to do so.

	Case in point, I do most of my communication with our Associate
Director by email.  Unfortunately, he can't seem to deal with reading
material on the screen, so he usually takes the documents I email him and
prints them out (actually, he eforwards them to his secretary who goes to
great pain to strip out the email headers and reformat them for paper!)  We
have a "computer system oversight" committee here with administrative,
scientific, and technical people on it.  When organizing meetings, I only
send email and make a point of not mentioning it in person, even to people
I see on a regular basis, who I suspect may not have bothered to read their
email recently.  Sometimes it causes people to miss meetings and bitch and
moan about it, but I figure it serves them right.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (09/25/89)

In article <5978@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Yes. But what do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
>email on a regular basis (or at all), and those people (who are typically
>important) who demand printed copies of everything? I tried to go paperless
>back about 1979, to no avail.

Even through this has had some quite reasonable answers, since the question
was directed to me, I'll answer it.

simple. we just don't hire people that are afraid of computers.  I have
never heard it said here but I personally believe (the preceding words for
the lawyers) computer literacy is an absolute requirement for working in a
technology related company such as microsoft.  In this company, anybody
who demanded printed copies of everything would be weeks behind.  That,
in fact, was a cornerstone of my orriginal thesis -- decision making occurs
at a rapid pace in an E-connected workplace.

This brings up an interesting point.  In an E-connected environment, there
needs to be an easy provision for printing out email.  Some people like paper
for their files and I like to sometimes print out my mailbox when I get
behind (100+ messages per day builds up fast -- one time I came back to 500
pieces of email).

You tried this in 1979, the world has come a long way since then.  Its probably
worth another shot at it.

now, what I really want is an email program that is a combination
mail manager, database, cross indexer and calandar.  The current crop
of tools is really running out of gas fast.

disclaimer time! yup, you guessed it, the above comments are my opinions
and are in no way an official representation of Microsoft corporate policy.

Phil Barrett
msft

phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) (09/25/89)

In article <7826@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
>In article <5978@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>>
>>Yes. But what do you do about computer-phobes that refuse to read their
>>email on a regular basis (or at all), and those people (who are typically
>>important) who demand printed copies of everything? I tried to go paperless
>>back about 1979, to no avail.
>>

>simple. we just don't hire people that are afraid of computers.  I have

I do systems for Law Firms.  email is an integral part of our applications.
The problem is this:  Professionals view any work done on a keyboard as
clerical, and therefore must be done by clerks.  This is the single greatest
factor in keeping the Legal industry five to six years behind the times.
We cannot exclude computer phobes from the interview process.  There are
NO computer literate legal professionals to speek of!  And, of course,
ignorance is the basis for most fears.

>now, what I really want is an email program that is a combination
>mail manager, database, cross indexer and calandar.  The current crop
>of tools is really running out of gas fast.

Some of my best grey matter is currently tuned to this subject.  Especially
in the Law Office.  Every calendar entry should impact follow-ups, every
mail/phone message should impact a calendar or follow-up.  If you are
working on such a product, I'd like some email.  This must become the
default in the next generation of office systems.

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Honesty is in the eye of      |  Phil Meyer                               |
|   the creditor.               |  Usenet: <backbone>!attctc!lodestar!phil  |
|                               |  VoiceNet: (214) 991-0897                 |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (09/25/89)

In article <425@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <7765@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
>|  At the `soft', we use email to tremendous benefit.  I've worked at companies
>|  that didn't have email and I found that dealing with people outside your
>|  immediate group to be incredibly inefficient -- phone tag and notes left
>  You're not alone in that. I am part of a group which installed and is
>enhancing a corporate email gateway system, between corporate DECnet,
>...email was rated as "important to productivity" or
>"very important to productivity" by more respondents than any other
>service we provide.

Well, my "corporation" is actually a university, but I take it that
scientists also qualify as knowledge workers too, so it is likely that
you will be interested to hear my comments.

Productivity in research science is largely defined in terms of the
number of papers published: this applies to individual researchers,
departments, universities, etc. (Don't flame me, I didn't build the
system.)

I find that email is the single biggest aid to my research. It doesn't
enable me to do anything that I couldn't have done without it, except
that I can collaborate with someone 5000 miles away at a rate which is
more than an order of magnitude higher. Let me demonstrate:

WITHOUT EMAIL: Write letters to collaborator; letter cycles take about 10
days. Type up research notes into a paper, mail it to collaborator, wait
for reply with suggestions, revise, mail paper to.... Each cycle still
takes 10 days at least. The typical time required to agree on a short
paper (say, 5 pages) is about 2 months.

WITH EMAIL: Send email with notes in LaTeX form. Reply can be received
in about 48 hours, allowing for time differences and thinking before
replying. Then type paper in LaTeX, email LaTeX source, collaborator
inserts changes directly, along with comments in the source. Time taken
to write the same paper, about 2 to 3 weeks.

Also, some journals now accept submissions (in LaTeX or TeX) via email.

Hope this helps the discussion.

Mark
##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk  ###################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##
####################  Life's a bitch.  Then you die.  #################

In article <425@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  You're not alone in that. I am part of a group which installed and is
>enhancing a corporate email gateway system, between corporate DECnet,
>local ethernet, internet, usenet, bitnet, QuickComm, etc. We also route
>for FIDOnet and Compu$erve via gateways.

Have you dealt with PROFS?  Is there any reasonable way to connect
it to unix mail?  I am currently transferring some files by having
the unix machine use a kermit script to log in to VM over a dial-up
line so something like PROFS <-> bsmtp might work.

Les Mikesell

In article <9662@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

|  Have you dealt with PROFS?  Is there any reasonable way to connect
|  it to unix mail?  I am currently transferring some files by having
|  the unix machine use a kermit script to log in to VM over a dial-up
|  line so something like PROFS <-> bsmtp might work.

  We have SMTP on the VM side, and Janet on one of the VMS machines. The
UNIX<=>VMS is done by (a) SMTP on the VMS machines (some Wolongong some
Excelan), and an Ultrix gateway running decnet-ultrix.

  I would still like to find a source for decnet on UNIX, which could be
ported to Suns and Xenix machines.
that the world is flat!" - anon

One of the most powerful things a computer can do for an organisation
is improve intra- and even inter- office communications enormously. The
problem is that most offices computerise by getting a bunch of little
personal computers, and maybe a network (though even this is fairly
uncommon). So instead of a bunch of people sitting in offices you have
a bunch of people and computers sitting in offices. Instead of passing
around papers, you pass around floppy disks.

Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a user
has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And users
have no access to each others' files, either because of network limitations
(the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a given box), or
because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).

An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

In article <9467@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) writes:
> The problem is this:  Professionals view any work done on a keyboard as
> clerical, and therefore must be done by clerks.  This is the single greatest
> factor in keeping the Legal industry five to six years behind the times.

This is pretty amazing. The first commercial application for UNIX I ever
heard of was office automation in a law firm. Email was prominently
mentioned in the article, which I read in 1978 from an aged photocopy,
so it was probably 1977 or earlier. Was this a fluke? Anyone have more
information on it?
--

ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) (09/27/89)

In article <6313@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>[...] Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a
>user has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And
>users have no access to each others' files, either because of network
>limitations (the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a
>given box), or because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).
>
>An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
>on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

The point about multitasking is well-taken, but that doesn't necessarily
imply that a shared-logic machine is the only approach to office automation.
Single-user multitasking workstations are an alternative and sometimes
superior way to deliver computer resources to professionals.  One of the
implementor's most important tasks is to match the technology to the
organization.

Most of our users have multitasking workstations.  A few use IBM-ish
personal computers, which are connected to the same network.  The users
with the workstations tend to think of the monitors in front of them as
windows into the organization.  Electronic mail and shared mass storage
have displaced and significantly augmented traditional forms of
communication.

The users with the MS-DOS machines have a radically different view of the
technology.  As Peter suggests, they essentially use personal computers that
have been taught a few new tricks.  They might as well be connecting to a
dial-up port.  The network buys them nothing except a high transfer rate.

To really do the job properly, however, most operations -- not just
notification and retrieval of electronic mail -- should take place in the
background (or at least the user should have that option).  One of the things
that distinguishes professionals from clerical or mechanical workers is that
the professionals are expected to manage their own time.  Typically, this
means that work cannot be arranged serially; usually, the professional has to
be able to do several things at once.

The first release of software that we installed on our workstations often
blocked the employee from using the machine while a network operation
(electronic mail retrieval or transmission, storage or retrieval on a file
server, etc.) was taking place.  We have a much lower level of user
frustration now that almost all workstation functions either take place
automatically in the background or give the user the option to select
foreground (for quick completion) or background operation.

Providing proper distribution of network resources is also an issue, but
using small single-function servers works well in our environment.  Except
in rare instances, none of our workstations acts as a server to another
system.  There are cases where one *server* will act as a client of another
server -- authentication sometimes requires an operation of this kind --
but as long as the servers are also multitasking, that isn't an inherent
problem.

Finally, needless to say authentication (security) is important, even if
your application doesn't involve really secret stuff.  But the problem
is not insoluble.  See the work on Kerberos at MIT or, for a mature
implementation, see the authentication service that is included in Xerox
Clearinghouse Service.

--

arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/27/89)

>One of the most powerful things a computer can do for an organisation
>is improve intra- and even inter- office communications enormously. The
>problem is that most offices computerise by getting a bunch of little
>personal computers, and maybe a network (though even this is fairly
>uncommon).

BUT becoming more and more common.  Especially in the MAC world where every
machine comes with built in networking hardware/software.  A recent (August 1,
1989) MacWEEK "Marketwatch" report states:

"...24 percent of (surveyed) sites have Macintoshes connected to LANs at other
locations.... 93 percent have Macintoshes connected to local LANs..."

Now, they only surveyed big (to me) companies with hundreds of machines but
ut is an interesting figure.  Here at the University of Chicago, most machines
in departments are on LANs and many LANs are connected to the University WAN...

>Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a user
>has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And users
>have no access to each others' files, either because of network limitations
>(the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a given box), or
>because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).

Poor guy, you must be in the IBM - PC (clone) world because all of these things
are not problems in my MAC universe.  Right now I have TELNET running to
connect me to a VAX (via ethernet) wich runs my news reader, a window under it
with my office email system running (CE Software's QuickMail), a wordprocessing
program under that... you get the picture.  we have adequate security... file
sharing... etc.  QuickMail is actually being served as a background process
on my machine to the other 8 macs in my office and (via an RSERVER modem
bridge) to a number of people working from their homes and to another office
across campus (with its 17 machines)...

>An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
>on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

I've come up with a new slogan to rouse PC people -- "Rejoin the technological
Revolution!" -:)

Hey, proof -- I just took a message for someone who hasn't come into the office
yet -- in the middle of writing this response I flipped to my QuickMail screen,
typed in the phone message, shot it off to her, and flipped back to typing this
response...

Edward Shelton, Project Manager
ARCH Development Corporation
arch_ems@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

Let me clarify one thing...

In article <294@voa3.UUCP>, ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) writes:
> In article <6313@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
> >on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

> The point about multitasking is well-taken, but that doesn't necessarily
> imply that a shared-logic machine is the only approach to office automation.

I defined multuser in functional terms: multitasking and protection. There
is nothing there forcing these multiuser machines to actually have more
than 1 user on them. Multiuser is a function of the software on the machine,
not the distribution of CPU power.

The rest of the article basically reinforces my point.
--

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (09/28/89)

In article <6331@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Let me clarify one thing...
>
> In article <294@voa3.UUCP>, ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) writes:

[Chris' comments and Peter's response deleted]

> The rest of the article basically reinforces my point.

Wait a sec,  Peter.  When we were hashing out The Market vs.
The State in tx.politics several weeks ago, you would *never*
have let me get away with a statement like the above.  So
please explain *how* the rest of the article basically reinforces
your point.

Jeff Daiell

--
"Truth has always been found to promote the best interests of mankind..."

                          -- Percy Bysshe Shelley

In article <6313@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a user
>has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And users
>have no access to each others' files, either because of network limitations
>(the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a given box), or
>because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).

It doesn't *have* to be that way.  We use a pop-up mailer that works the
same whether you are on the network or dialing up (in the background)
so you don't have to stop what you are doing on the PC to answer mail.
It can also handle attached files, so there is no problem with sharing,
although on the network a common area on a server is handier.

>An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
>on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

No, it just takes a little thought about where the data should be stored.
Most network-aware PC software knows as much or more about protecting
shared files during simultaneous access than most unix programs.

Les Mikesell

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (09/29/89)

In article <6313@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>One of the most powerful things a computer can do for an organisation
>is improve intra- and even inter- office communications enormously. The
>problem is that most offices computerise by getting a bunch of little
>personal computers, and maybe a network (though even this is fairly
>uncommon). So instead of a bunch of people sitting in offices you have
>a bunch of people and computers sitting in offices. Instead of passing
>around papers, you pass around floppy disks.
>
>Even with a network, the individual computers are single-tasking... a user
>has to back out of whatever they're doing to send electronic mail. And users
>have no access to each others' files, either because of network limitations
>(the network will only work in server *or* client mode on a given box), or
>because of administrative ones (no or inadequate security).
>
>An office is inherently a multi-user environment. Grafting the software
>on top of a bunch of single-user systems still leaves every man an island.

Hmmm,  let me see.  Yeah, I'm running on a compaq.  Yup, there's dos down
there somewhere.  Yup, excel, my bug database and mail program are
all still running. Not to mention my vtp to the local news server which
is what I'm using to post this message (at least when I'm not switching
back to make sure the other stuff is running .  The network seems to still
be up -- and so are the servers I'm connected to.   And I could run this
stuff on a lowly 286.

Maybe you haven't looked at what's around lately but there are numerous
email packages commercially available.  DaVinci has one for Windows and
there are numerous DOS versions that can be multitasked under windows, os/2
or desqview.  A lot of fortune 1000 companies do this now.

PC networking is becomming a very big business and a *lot* more common
than you think, read PC Mag, PC WORLD, etc.  I don't know the actual sales
but they are enough to attract numerous large players.  Microsoft, Novell, IBM,
3Com, UB, TOPS, 10Net (DCA?), etc  all make reasonable products.

So, quite simply, I can put together a very nice office automation system
with file servers, shared printers, Email and PCs AND still get all the benefits
of all that PC SW out there.  Also, there are lots of DOS based SW products
designed to work nicely on a network.

You are right that the DOS based networks dont support both server and client
on a single machine reasonably.  But so what?  File sharing is quite easy;
I don't remember the last time I passed a diskette around.  Security isn't
super tight but its good enough for many (if not most) installations.  I've
used multiuser systems for years and I really would never want to go back to
one.  The amount of SW available is so incredibly limited compared to PCs.

I certainly dont feel like an island, not with >75 email messages a day.

Phil `the above opinions are mine' barrett
Microsoft

In article <7886@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
> Hmmm,  let me see.  Yeah, I'm running on a compaq.  Yup, there's dos down
> there somewhere.  Yup, excel, my bug database and mail program are
> all still running. Not to mention my vtp to the local news server which
> is what I'm using to post this message (at least when I'm not switching
> back to make sure the other stuff is running .  The network seems to still
> be up -- and so are the servers I'm connected to.   And I could run this
> stuff on a lowly 286.

Yeh, with no end of FM in there to make it work right. Back when MS-DOS
was fairly new, I was doing that sort of stuff on a lowly PC-XT running your
company's own Version-7 based Microsoft Xenix. Yes, an XT with a 20 meg
drive. Of course, these days UNIX is a lot bigger... but it's also a
whole lot more powerful. And everything works without the FM.

If Bill Gates had any vision left, MS-DOS 3.0 *would* have been Xenix.

And of course everythings co-operating now, but remember when you were
putting it together. I remember the sorts of things you have to do: "Now,
if I run DoubleDOS before Sidekick then I can't get to Sidekick in this
window, but if I do it the other way then this doesn't work. How about...".

With a real operating system (UNIX, for example, or one of the proprietary
operating systems you've plowed under with IBM's money), everything just
plain works.

> So, quite simply, I can put together a very nice office automation system
> with file servers, shared printers, Email and PCs AND still get all the benefits
> of all that PC SW out there.  Also, there are lots of DOS based SW products
> designed to work nicely on a network.

That last sentence is the critical one here. You have to have all your
applications especially coded to work with the network. I'm still running
UNIX software that was born before Ethernet. It hasn't been updated. It
doesn't have to be... it doesn't know the nets there and doesn't need to.

> You are right that the DOS based networks dont support both server and client
> on a single machine reasonably.  But so what?

Transparent file access is like sex. If you haven't tried it, you don't
miss it. If you have tried it, yu can't get along without it.

> File sharing is quite easy;
> I don't remember the last time I passed a diskette around.

i.e., you use the network as a fast modem port.

> Security isn't
> super tight but its good enough for many (if not most) installations.

Had a look in comp.virus recently?

> I've
> used multiuser systems for years and I really would never want to go back to
> one.  The amount of SW available is so incredibly limited compared to PCs.

If you don't mind having to bring your car to a halt before you can turn
the steering wheel, more power to you.

Besides, I can already run all that dos software. Ever hear of emulators?
And I don't have to worry about program A treading on program B's toes.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"That is not the Usenet tradition, but it's a solidly-entrenched            U
 delusion now." -- brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor)

  Someone asked how you get people to use email. The secret is to have
support at the top. If the head honcho starts asking for info by email,
sending out meeting notices, etc, pretty soon the next level down starts
at least reading and responding. The technical staff pretty much will
use it as soon as available, anyway, and the middle management gets mail
from above and below.

that the world is flat!" - anon

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (09/30/89)

In article <7886@microsoft.UUCP> philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
-Hmmm,  let me see.  Yeah, I'm running on a compaq.  Yup, there's dos down
-there somewhere.  Yup, excel, my bug database and mail program are
-all still running. Not to mention my vtp to the local news server which
-is what I'm using to post this message (at least when I'm not switching
-back to make sure the other stuff is running .  The network seems to still
-be up -- and so are the servers I'm connected to.   And I could run this
-stuff on a lowly 286.

And what multitasking operating system are you running?  Oh, you're not?
You're running DOS?  With a bunch of TSR hacks loaded?  Oh, OK, how would
one go about writing such a TSR, reliably?  How do I know it's not going to
step on someone else's TSR?  I just follow a bunch of undocumented rules,
right?  Wouldn't it be nice if these rules were codified, standardized, and
documented?  Wouldn't people like Borland (Sidekick), Lotus (Metro), and the
Prokey folks love to have a _reliable_ way to write TSRs without crashing
your PC?  Didn't these people talk Microsoft into participating in such a
standardization effort?  And didn't Microsoft tube the whole project in
order to try to shove OS/2 down our throats instead?

Pardon me while I fetch my airsick bag...
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (10/02/89)

In article <6361@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>And of course everythings co-operating now, but remember when you were
>putting it together. I remember the sorts of things you have to do: "Now,
>if I run DoubleDOS before Sidekick then I can't get to Sidekick in this
>window, but if I do it the other way then this doesn't work. How about...".

I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you saying that systems integration
under a DOS environment is impossible or so difficult as require a guru to
get it working? If so, Patently false. Yes, it takes some knowledge but what
computer systems dont? Are you saying that there are problems in systems
integration for any environment? Then I have to agree.  I've worked in several
environments and put together dos, proprietary and unix systems and none
were particularly easier than the others.  I know of numerous small shops that
use networking and PCs and other than a day or two of the `Reps' time, they
all went together pretty easily and work.  One shop is a medical benefits
plan administration group.  They track invoices, claims, new clients, etc
with 15 PCs and Novell netware.  They use a standard database (rBase, I think)
multiuser/networked version, ms excel, ms word, some mailing list SW and
a few others.  It works and they are happy.  They just added several
PCs and it took more time pulling the PCs out of the boxes and getting them
running than it did to get them on the network and using the database. Not
a guru in sight (or on site).

>With a real operating system (UNIX, for example, or one of the proprietary
>operating systems you've plowed under with IBM's money), everything just
>plain works.

I guess we just plain disagree.  By the way, don't confuse the person with
the company.  The statement -- everything just plain works is maybe true for
a limited set of applications but I find it odd coming from a *NIX support
guy.  How many times has uucp gotten wedged on you? How many times have you
gotten some SW and discovered it hadn't been implemented for or tested on
your flavor of *NIX?  Don't get me wrong,  Unix is great and it has many nice
features over DOS but its by no means perfect.  There a lots of problems
getting a *NIX up and running with all the applications you need. There is
no question in my mind that DOS could be a *lot* better but the depth and
breadth of applications for it make it a compelling choice to most of the
microcomputer users.  Binary Compatibility is a key factor -- one which the *NIX
market sadly lacks.  Its not at all clear the Emulators under unix work
that well.  There are numerous types of apps that don't work at all and it
varys from system to system.

>> So, quite simply, I can put together a very nice office automation system
>> with file servers, shared printers, Email and PCs AND still get all the benefits
>> of all that PC SW out there.  Also, there are lots of DOS based SW products
>> designed to work nicely on a network.
>
>That last sentence is the critical one here. You have to have all your
>applications especially coded to work with the network. I'm still running
>UNIX software that was born before Ethernet. It hasn't been updated. It
>doesn't have to be... it doesn't know the nets there and doesn't need to.

Ahem...  Perhaps I should have been clearer.  Given PC-NET, MS LanMan or
Novell nets, file access IS transparent.  No special `coding' is required.
Other than my multiuser bug database, I use no network aware SW and it all
works over the net just fine.  Multi-user databases management systems, etc
DO require special network support. I don't see this as significantly
different from the sort of things one has to do for a DBMS, etc in a
multiuser environment.  (record/file locking, for example)

>> You are right that the DOS based networks dont support both server and client
>> on a single machine reasonably.  But so what?
>
>Transparent file access is like sex. If you haven't tried it, you don't
>miss it. If you have tried it, yu can't get along without it.

see above.  its available with all the major PC networks.  You simply use
a server based file model rather than one on your personal machine. There are
several large banks that use this approach and they are very happy.

>> File sharing is quite easy;
>> I don't remember the last time I passed a diskette around.
>
>i.e., you use the network as a fast modem port.

I could see how you would think this but its simply not true.  Many of
our shared files reside on a server and are accessed directly.  The
aformentioned medical benefits shop keeps their database on a server.
The banks above keep most of their shared data on a server.

>> Security isn't
>> super tight but its good enough for many (if not most) installations.
>
>Had a look in comp.virus recently?

seen any good internet viruses lately?  Found any good security holes in
unix lately?  Point is that no system is totally secure.  Besides, if viruses
are a concern, there are simple methods of avoiding them (like don't run stuff
off BBSs and don't boot off of suspected diskettes and ...) as well as
programs like flu-shot and such.

>> I've
>> used multiuser systems for years and I really would never want to go back to
>> one.  The amount of SW available is so incredibly limited compared to PCs.
>
>If you don't mind having to bring your car to a halt before you can turn
>the steering wheel, more power to you.

sigh...

I think you still haven't gotten it.  I can multitask dos apps to my hearts
content.  There are numerous solutions that work: MS-Windows, os/2, DeskView,
SW Carosel (sp?), VM386, ...  Not only do I not need to stop the car, I can
drive several at once and I can cut and paste between dos apps with several
of the above products.  Hundreds of thousands of PC users use these products
daily so there must something wrong  :-)

I realize that this won't change your mind.  All I'm trying to say is that
the statement that PCs are unusable for anything other than a single task
at a time in an isolated environment is simply wrong.  No environment is
perfect, it is usability that counts.  You can argue the details but a lot of
people use these kind of systems to significant benefit every day.

Phil Barrett
Microsoft

The above opinions are mine and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer.

In article <7916@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
> I'm not sure what your point is.

I'll spell it out. Systems integration under DOS, for anything but "load one
program at a time and run it", is prohibitively difficult for the vast
majority of users, who are not technically oriented. It doesn't need a
guru, but it's far more difficult than it needs to be.

> I guess we just plain disagree.  By the way, don't confuse the person with
> the company.  The statement -- everything just plain works is maybe true for
> a limited set of applications but I find it odd coming from a *NIX support
> guy.  How many times has uucp gotten wedged on you?

Under a modern system-V system? Never.

How many times has Fido gotten wedged on you. Oh, that's right. Fido just
shuts down at 4AM every day so it doesn't have to deal with the problem.

> How many times have you
> gotten some SW and discovered it hadn't been implemented for or tested on
> your flavor of *NIX?

A couple of times for our old system-III based Xenix-286 boxes, but that's
to be expected. It's like expecting your DOS software to run on MS-DOS 1.4
on a Victor-9000. Under System-V, never.

> Binary Compatibility is a key factor -- one which the *NIX
> market sadly lacks.

Can you say "System-V on an 80386 with an AT-bus"? I've even got binary device
drivers to port. Application support is flawless.

But if you need more power than a microcomputer, you have a route all the
way to big iron.

> Its not at all clear the Emulators under unix work
> that well.

DOS emulators on said System-V/386 box have been very good to me.

> >> Security isn't
> >> super tight but its good enough for many (if not most) installations.

> >Had a look in comp.virus recently?

> seen any good internet viruses lately?

That's a red herring. The internet is deliberately designed as a low- or no-
security environment. And for all that it's more secure than any PC net.
I'm on the security mailing list, and have yet to see a System-V related
problem show up.

> Found any good security holes in
> unix lately?

In BSD maybe. Not under System-V.

> Point is that no system is totally secure.

True, but running DOS is like leaving your door unlocked as a matter of
course. Yes, a good burglar can still get in anywhere, but you don't need
to encourage them.

> Besides, if viruses
> are a concern, there are simple methods of avoiding them (like don't run stuff
> off BBSs and don't boot off of suspected diskettes and ...)

... and don't buy shrink-wrap software from a computer store, and so on. You
*haven't* been reading comp.virus, have you?

> I think you still haven't gotten it.  I can multitask dos apps to my hearts
> content.

I've been there. I tried just about everything, and the only system that could
support more than one badly-behaved application in anything like a reliable
manner was DoubleDOS. And I still kept blowing away directories when I
accidentally tried to access the one file from both partitions.

Windows, DesqView, and the rest were far worse.

> Hundreds of thousands of PC users use these products
> daily so there must something wrong  :-)

Yes, I always use that as an argument why you shouldn't assume the majority is
always right.

> I realize that this won't change your mind.  All I'm trying to say is that
> the statement that PCs are unusable for anything other than a single task
> at a time in an isolated environment is simply wrong.

I don't think I ever used the term "unusable". Kludge, yes, and baroque, yes,
and a waste of resources, yes. But not unusable. Hell, I've even recommended
the bloody things. But setting up an office around a bunch of networked
DOS machines is a dead end. And the cancerous spread of the beasts has
hurt productivity.
--

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (10/02/89)

:
: > seen any good internet viruses lately?
:
: That's a red herring. The internet is deliberately designed as a low- or no-
: security environment. And for all that it's more secure than any PC net.
: I'm on the security mailing list, and have yet to see a System-V related
: problem show up.

Really?

What about the one that lets any user trivially truncate the password
file? And lets the real clever get root access?

---
bill@twwells.com

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (10/03/89)

}
}> a limited set of applications but I find it odd coming from a *NIX support
}> guy.  How many times has uucp gotten wedged on you?
}
}Under a modern system-V system? Never.

I'll second that. Van-bc logs 200+ hours a week of uucp traffic on four lines.

We have *NEVER* had uucp get stuck since we installed the 386 with SCO last
winter.

We have had minor problems finding a multi-port serial card that would work
with modem control. But that's not a Unix problem. And the SCO Async driver
has always functioned flawlessly on the builtin serial ports.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/03/89)

From article <7916@microsoft.UUCP>, by philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett):
> In article <6361@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

[some stuff deleted]

> microcomputer users.  Binary Compatibility is a key factor -- one which the *NIX
> market sadly lacks.

  With respect to microcomputers Binary Compatibility is *NOT* a key factor.
I run Xenix286/886, Microport, ESIX, ATT, ISC's binary applications on
my SysV machine with no major problems. When I have found problems they
where usally 286 bin's compiled with the goofy tunes MSC compiler causeing
wierd pionters trying to write where it shouldn't. Buy that's just my
opinion.

>  Its not at all clear the Emulators under unix work
> that well.  There are numerous types of apps that don't work at all and it
> varys from system to system.

  I use Simul-Task 2.0 (VPIX) and to many programs work to pass up.
  Excuse me too many good apps that I need to complete my work.

>>> So, quite simply, I can put together a very nice office automation system
>>> with file servers, shared printers, Email and PCs AND still get all the benefits
>>> of all that PC SW out there.  Also, there are lots of DOS based SW products
>>> designed to work nicely on a network.
>>
>>That last sentence is the critical one here. You have to have all your
>>applications especially coded to work with the network. I'm still running
>>UNIX software that was born before Ethernet. It hasn't been updated. It
>>doesn't have to be... it doesn't know the nets there and doesn't need to.
>
> Ahem...  Perhaps I should have been clearer.  Given PC-NET, MS LanMan or
> Novell nets, file access IS transparent.  No special `coding' is required.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   What do you mean by this?

[cut cut]

>>> You are right that the DOS based networks dont support both server and client
>>> on a single machine reasonably.  But so what?
>>
>>Transparent file access is like sex. If you haven't tried it, you don't
>>miss it. If you have tried it, yu can't get along without it.
>
> see above.  its available with all the major PC networks.  You simply use
> a server based file model rather than one on your personal machine.

  I used to think this was a good idea, now I think it's a shame that
someone spends all that money for a dedicated machine just to make it
a fileserver. Really it's a waste of expensive hardware. But DOS users
don't have many alternatives. I was setting up realestate office's with
some Novell networks 10 to 15 units per office when I lost a contract to
someone because the owner was convenced that NFS could run as clients
and servers with the same database he was useing on dos.

>>> Security isn't
>>> super tight but its good enough for many (if not most) installations.
>>
>>Had a look in comp.virus recently?
>
> seen any good internet viruses lately?  Found any good security holes in
> unix lately?  Point is that no system is totally secure.  Besides, if viruses
> are a concern, there are simple methods of avoiding them (like don't run stuff
> off BBSs and don't boot off of suspected diskettes and ...) as well as
> programs like flu-shot and such.

  Egad, thier talking about commercial software for dos containing viruses.
If you take your above approach you shouldn't run any software to be
secure. Speaking of dos viruses I got a hold of one to play around with.
Sence the emulator I use for dos creates a drive C as nothing but a
pseudo file the stupied virus attached itself to the file. No big deal
just reinstall dos. All my dos apps where in the unix parition anyways.

> I realize that this won't change your mind.  All I'm trying to say is that
> the statement that PCs are unusable for anything other than a single task
> at a time in an isolated environment is simply wrong.  No environment is
> perfect, it is usability that counts.  You can argue the details but a lot of
> people use these kind of systems to significant benefit every day.

  I will not disagree with you here. But what seems to be happening is
that developers are running into some limitations writeing software in
multiuser DOS machines. This kind of puts a halt on thier advancement
to keep up on the competition. OS2 may be the answer but it seems it
it's rought stages right now. If a developer gets stuck by any of these
limitation thier going to try alternatives. That dosn't mean they are
not going to develop OS2 apps. They just have a little more time to
develop on two OS's. When MS gets the bugs worked out or enhances the
the OS to the point the developer can get thier apps working they way
they want it they release to OS2 version.

 Your right "usabilty" is what counts. But what comes after that is
"reliablity". Both terms are too subjective. However the costomers
money isn't.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

In article <7916@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:

|  I guess we just plain disagree.  By the way, don't confuse the person with
|  the company.  The statement -- everything just plain works is maybe true for
|  a limited set of applications but I find it odd coming from a *NIX support
|  guy.  How many times has uucp gotten wedged on you?

  On SysV? It doesn't happen. And if you applied the patches not on
SysIII either. V7 was bad, but that's no more realistic than mentioning
Dos 2.0 bugs today.

|                                                      How many times have you
|  gotten some SW and discovered it hadn't been implemented for or tested on
|  your flavor of *NIX?

  There used to be a lot of net stuff which was BSD only, but the people
who wrote it are now finding that portability is important, and most
runs on SysV. Commercial software of any quality runs BSD and SysV. I
suppose you could find some that doesn't, but then you can find DOS
software which doesn't work, too. And *dozens* of TRS which all say
"load me last."

  Portability isn't the problem it was even a few years ago in the UNIX
world, while DOS has become less stable. Windows, Desqview, DoubleDOS,
NetWare... all have things which don't run under the other, and all have
some TSR's which mess them up.
that the world is flat!" - anon

Our friend at Microsoft's position seems to be that things are much better in
the DOS world than I think. Well, things might have improved in the past two
years (last time I was extensively DOSing), but that still doesn't make up
for the isolation among DOS users for the 7 years prior to that. Nor for the
continued low productivity of knowledge workers at sites that don't get the
latest and greatest.

The first office automation system using UNIX was in something like 1976.
MP/M and Cromix were providing multiuser CP/M systems in 1980.

By 1989 DOS seems to be catching up, given the claims of transparent file
sharing on DOS networks.

Just think were we'd be today if we hadn't taken a ten year time-out.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
``I feel that any [environment] with users in it is "adverse".''           'U`
	-- Eric Peterson <lcc.eric@seas.ucla.edu>

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (10/06/89)

In article <6375@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <7916@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
>> I'm not sure what your point is.
>
>I'll spell it out. Systems integration under DOS, for anything but "load one
>program at a time and run it", is prohibitively difficult for the vast
>majority of users, who are not technically oriented. It doesn't need a
>guru, but it's far more difficult than it needs to be.

and not for unix? Desqview and windows have very user friendly installation
programs.

>> I guess we just plain disagree.  By the way, don't confuse the person with
>> the company.  The statement -- everything just plain works is maybe true for
>> a limited set of applications but I find it odd coming from a *NIX support
>> guy.  How many times has uucp gotten wedged on you?
>
>Under a modern system-V system? Never.

wow! thats pretty amazing.  maybe unix *is* approaching reliability.

>How many times has Fido gotten wedged on you. Oh, that's right. Fido just
>shuts down at 4AM every day so it doesn't have to deal with the problem.

who uses fido? I certainly don't.  I don't know of any sites that do.  But
since Fido has nasty problems, I guess that means all PC comm apps do too :-)

>> Binary Compatibility is a key factor -- one which the *NIX
>> market sadly lacks.
>
>Can you say "System-V on an 80386 with an AT-bus"? I've even got binary device
>drivers to port. Application support is flawless.

flawless?  wow, a perfect system.  amazing!

the unix market is fragmented.  there are a miriad of architectures that it
runs on.  Thats its strength.  But its also a weakness. try running a SystemV
386 app on a sun 3.  There are something like 40M machines that can run DOS
apps.  Whats the installed base of any version of Unix?

>> Its not at all clear the Emulators under unix work
>> that well.
>
>DOS emulators on said System-V/386 box have been very good to me.

do they support mice well?  windows apps?  graphical apps?  TSRs?  `dirty'
apps, dos extended apps?  cut and paste between apps?

>> >Had a look in comp.virus recently?
>
>> seen any good internet viruses lately?
>
>That's a red herring. The internet is deliberately designed as a low- or no-
>security environment. And for all that it's more secure than any PC net.
>I'm on the security mailing list, and have yet to see a System-V related
>problem show up.

Its not a red herring. Just because it was designed that way doesn't mean squat.
security is only as good as the weakest link.  The PC networks do have some
limited security features -- server password protection.  Granted that this
isn't a complete solution but the environment is much more limited than say
arpa or uucp.

>> Besides, if viruses
>> are a concern, there are simple methods of avoiding them (like don't run stuff
>> off BBSs and don't boot off of suspected diskettes and ...)
>
>... and don't buy shrink-wrap software from a computer store, and so on. You
>*haven't* been reading comp.virus, have you?

Oh yeah, every package you buy has at least 3. :-)  I especially like
the one where someone claimed to have bought a package with some large
number of viruses infecting the single package.   Most of these said
virus laden packages are totally unsubstantiated.  A lot of them have
come from SW rental stores where they have a shrink wrapper in the back
room.  Who knows where the disks have been.  There have been several
real cases, though.  The FreeHand one was probably the most well
publicised.  The people at Aldus are totally hard core about viruses
now -- I'd be real suprised to see something like that from them
again.  Most companies are *very* careful.  We take carefull steps
here to prevent this happening to us.   No SW company needs that rap.
And yes, I read comp.virus.

>I don't think I ever used the term "unusable". Kludge, yes, and baroque, yes,
>and a waste of resources, yes. But not unusable. Hell, I've even recommended
>the bloody things. But setting up an office around a bunch of networked
>DOS machines is a dead end. And the cancerous spread of the beasts has
>hurt productivity.

You are right, you didn't say unusable, just about everything but, though.
You did say that they were isolated environments where data sharing is
done by passing diskettes around -- which I showed via example is not
true at all.  I grant that Unix is far more elegant in most ways but elegance
isn't everything.  You may have disgust for the majority but people do vote
with their $$$.  Mainframe systems, Unix, VAXes, etc simply don't solve
their problems -- if they could, why hasn't there been an enormous rush
to buy these products for office automation.  Thats not to say that there
isn't a need for those machines but look at the market researce, mainstream
corporate computing uses networked PCs.

Well, this thread isn't going anywhere but its been fun. Have a nice night!

Phil

And of course, the above opinions are mine.

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/06/89)

In article <6375@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> I don't think I ever used the term "unusable". Kludge, yes, and baroque, yes,
> and a waste of resources, yes. But not unusable. Hell, I've even recommended
> the bloody things. But setting up an office around a bunch of networked
> DOS machines is a dead end. And the cancerous spread of the beasts has
> hurt productivity.
> --
> Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.

Gee, Peter.  You have this annoying habit of being painfully right.
And there you go again, cutting right to the bone and exposing
the gleaming red of bloody truth.  I've spent the last five years
setting up PCs, networks, installing applications, and electronically
reorganizing offices all over our campus, and every day it has
become more clear that _there_has_to_be_a_better_way_.  Sure, DOS
works, and you can do things with it, but it is a dead end.
If the effort that has been put into making so much software work
on such a limited OS had been put into a real, mature OS, we
would all be much better off than we are now.

10 million lemmings can't be wrong.  Sure.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

In article <7971@microsoft.UUCP>, philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) writes:
> and not for unix? Desqview and windows have very user friendly installation
> programs.

That's as may be, but that's not what I mean by "system integration". The
problem with DOS comes when you have <n> different programs all with their
own kludges put in to cover up the faults of MS-DOS (like, the serial
port support just plain doesn't work). Then you find that this TSR doesn't
work under that multitsaker unless you load it after running this patch
program.

With UNIX you just don't get programs stepping on each others' toes. You
can occasionally get problems with device drivers, but then the installation
tells you you have a conflict, backs out of the installation, and lets
you edit your devices file. You can't even do that with MS-DOS, unless the
programmer (through the goodness of their heart) condescended to give you
a way to fix it... but it's different for *every* program.

> >How many times has Fido gotten wedged on you. Oh, that's right. Fido just
> >shuts down at 4AM every day so it doesn't have to deal with the problem.

> who uses fido? I certainly don't.  I don't know of any sites that do.  But
> since Fido has nasty problems, I guess that means all PC comm apps do too :-)

I don't know about other PC communications programs, but Fido is the nearest
equivalent in the PC world to UUCP. Repeat after me... UUCP IS NOT NETWORKING.

> There are something like 40M machines that can run DOS apps.

Yes, and this (to get back to the subject) is responsible for a huge loss
of productivity among knowledge workers in this country. You're proud of it?

> do they support mice well?

Yes.

> windows apps?  graphical apps?

Yes (not on a remote terminal, of course).

> TSRs?

Probably. I haven't tried any of these... TSRs are one of the things I'm
trying to forget about from my days in the DOS world.

> `dirty' apps,

There's another kind?

> dos extended apps?

I'm not familiar with this term. Can you provide examples?

> cut and paste between apps?

Yes.

[ i said, the internet virus is a red herring -- the internet is deliberately
  set up as a low-security network ]
> Just because it was designed that way doesn't mean squat.

Sure it does. There's no reason you have to set your network up like the
internet. That's like saying that, because this guy left his safe unlocked
during business hours and got burgled, all safes are useless.

> security is only as good as the weakest link.  The PC networks do have some
> limited security features -- server password protection.  Granted that this
> isn't a complete solution but the environment is much more limited than say
> arpa or uucp.

Arpa is a special case... most UNIX networks are not on the internet. Most
UNIX networks are local area nets just like most PC networks. And, again,
UUCP is not a network.

> You are right, you didn't say unusable, just about everything but, though.
> You did say that they were isolated environments where data sharing is
> done by passing diskettes around -- which I showed via example is not
> true at all.

Most places it is. You're trying to prove a negative... which you can't
do by just giving an example or two.

But there were offices doing email and file sharing on UNIX minicomputers
as long ago as 1976. DOS equivalents really only got rolling in the last
couple of years. I would say that 6-8 years of holding back progress is
quite enough.

> I grant that Unix is far more elegant in most ways but elegance
> isn't everything.  You may have disgust for the majority but people do vote
> with their $$$.

Yes, and they vote for the folks who campaign. Now then, who's got the
deepest pockets? The biggest campaign chests?

IBM.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
"Seems to me that posting an entire RFC in PostScript is like posting a    'U`
 Sun-3 binary to comp.sources.unix." -- sgrimm@sun.com (Steven Grimm)

phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) (10/07/89)

Aside from the flame war brewing here, there are several good points being
made.

In article <6441@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Yes, and this (to get back to the subject) is responsible for a huge loss
>of productivity among knowledge workers in this country. You're proud of it?

I have been a proponent of 'personal computing' vs. departmental or
organizational computing.  No more.  In 1983 several articles were published
concerning the M.I.S. losing control of computing resources.  At that time
I lost a very large bid to Honeywell because I would not consider that
departmental systems with their limited applications could *possibly* have
anything to offer to a group of computer literate engineers.  I personally
lost a possible $100,000.00 in profits.  Enough to make me re-think my
position.  I was bidding a DOD based LAN connected by Novell star LAN servers.
This was the top of the line in personal computing environments (and still
may be).  What did they prefer?  A centralized, controlled, and structured
environment that supported ONLY the specific tools that they needed to get
the job done.  It is a myth that DOS has a great wealth of applications.
Wealth implies value.  Value to whom?  If I don't need it, why am I worried
about availibility?  It has been shown by several studies, (the most recent I
have seen is one produced by the American Bar association) that basically
there are only four applications in use on Pee Cees.
	1.	Word Processing
	2.	Spread Sheats
	3.	Database Products
	4.	Desk-top publishing (which I consider an evolution of W.P.)
I admit a great number of specialized applications exist, and this is an old
topic.  I simply wish to demonstrate that 'Personal Computing' may in fact
be counter productive.  The experiences that I have had would bear this out.
The most intellegent systems managers out there are interested in functionality
and not personal preference.  Give your users the right tools.  Don't let
them choose their own, and bicker over the merits of each.  Most good managers
listen to the needs of the whole, and then dictate policy.  A network of
Pee Cees does not contribute to the standardization, conformance, and
productivity of knowledge workers in and of itself.  Only carefull planning,
organization, and even distribution of the work load can make the system
successfull.

>> do they support mice well?
>
>Yes.
>
>> windows apps?  graphical apps?
>
>Yes (not on a remote terminal, of course).

What about the rise of Xterminals?  They will be the future.

>But there were offices doing email and file sharing on UNIX minicomputers
>as long ago as 1976. DOS equivalents really only got rolling in the last
>couple of years. I would say that 6-8 years of holding back progress is
>quite enough.
>
>> I grant that Unix is far more elegant in most ways but elegance
>> isn't everything.  You may have disgust for the majority but people do vote
>> with their $$$.
>
>Yes, and they vote for the folks who campaign. Now then, who's got the
>deepest pockets? The biggest campaign chests?

This is, of course, alt.politics right?  The public is only aware of what
is shown to it.  Color, music, and slogans sell products to the 'general
public'.  If enough of the right things happen to any product, it can be
successfull.  Don't kid yourself.  The Next box has shown us all this same
principal again.  What is Job's *real* contribution?  The software, of
course.  What did IBM buy?  The software, of course.  What do the commercial
vendors push?  The 'box'.  A box that is mediocre at best, but we love it!

As Arsineo would say, hmmm...

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Annechiarico) (10/14/89)

In article <9605@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) writes:
[...]

This astonishing, authoritarian attitude is itself a good explanation of
why so many choose personal computers.

Incidentally, you, or the lawyers, left statistical programs off the list.
Only "specialized applications"?  So much for omniscience.

Eric Carleen
University of Rochester Medical Center
(716)-275-5391
Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
Internet: mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) (10/15/89)

In article <3326@ur-cc.UUCP> mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Annechiarico) writes:
>- Give your users the right tools.  Don't let
>- them choose their own, and bicker over the merits of each.  Most good managers
>- listen to the needs of the whole, and then dictate policy.
>
>This astonishing, authoritarian attitude is itself a good explanation of
>why so many choose personal computers.

You forget, or are not considering, that most of the American work force is
NOT automated, and have no desire to do so.  Talk of 'the computer will destroy
the world' is more common than you know.  I am talking about automation.  Not
the fact that a few users at a given site have or want a Pee Cee.

Name an organization.  What percentage of people at the site use a Pee Cee?
I think that everyone will agree that the Firms with total automation (if there
really is such a thing) are VERY few!  You think too small.

Of course you want a Pee Cee.  Of course you can benefit from it.  But will
your company/firm/organization reap the same benefits, or will they even
be harmed by you.  If you really do well, your peers will dislike you and
your tactics.  Your superiors will fear your success.  This is a real
situation.  It is only the 'authoritarian' policy of management that can save
your career, and help the 'rest' of the workforce come to the same level of
proficiency that you possess.  An attitude of 'everyone for himself' cannot
exist in corporate America, and is the attitude promoted by 'Personal
Productivity'.  The 'me generation' will fail, unless WE can learn to work
with others less enthused about computers and technology than we are.

End of soapbox.

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Honesty is in the eye of      |  Phil Meyer                               |
|   the creditor.               |  Usenet: <backbone>!attctc!lodestar!phil  |
|                               |  VoiceNet: (214) 991-0897                 |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

A case can be made that for a site with a large number of non-computer-
trained people will do much better with a single UNIX box and a number
of dumb terminals. You only need one expert... with PCs everyone has to
be computer-literate.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad my department secretary has no problems
sending me mail when a phone call comes in. Or taking orders in email. Or
posting news articles when someone's out for the day.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'
                                                                           'U`
Quote: Structured Programming is a discipline -- not a straitjacket.

mco@hpftc.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) (10/16/89)

In article <9716@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) writes:
>In article <3326@ur-cc.UUCP> mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Annechiarico) writes:
>>- Give your users the right tools.  Don't let
>>- them choose their own, and bicker over the merits of each.  Most good managers
>>- listen to the needs of the whole, and then dictate policy.
>>
>>This astonishing, authoritarian attitude is itself a good explanation of
>>why so many choose personal computers.

...[lots of smeary junk deleted]...

>Of course you want a Pee Cee.  Of course you can benefit from it.  But will
>your company/firm/organization reap the same benefits, or will they even
>be harmed by you.  If you really do well, your peers will dislike you and
>your tactics.  Your superiors will fear your success.  This is a real
>situation.  It is only the 'authoritarian' policy of management that can save
>your career, and help the 'rest' of the workforce come to the same level of
>proficiency that you possess.  An attitude of 'everyone for himself' cannot
>exist in corporate America, and is the attitude promoted by 'Personal
>Productivity'.  The 'me generation' will fail, unless WE can learn to work
>with others less enthused about computers and technology than we are.
>
>End of soapbox.

Yeah. Right.
You sound like the sorta guy that just came back from a thorough indoctrination
by Jerry Falwell.  You rhetorical questions don't even have question marks on
them - as if you were stating a fact.

The real fact of the matter is that PEOPLE MUST COUNT INDIVIDUALLY for ANY
organization to thrive.  Management is simply the task of motivating each
individual into WANTING TO CONTRIBUTE their best effort to the task at hand.

In a well-managed organization, workers readily accept tools which made their
work easier, faster,
and more enjoyable - freeing them to explore the higher-level aspects of their
job where they can really apply their knowledge and/or skill to the best
advantage.  Unfortuneately, most office workers are forced to use 'productivity
tools' which complicate and debase the very work which they are supposed to
simplify and generalize.

It is true that the great majority of the semi-automated office workers in
business today find themselves working on P.C. products.  These P.C.'s are
generally purchased for the workers by insecure and generally computer
illiterate managers.  These managers are convinced that P.C. products are
the solution of choice for three reasons -

1. P.C. hardware is cheap, so if their choice is wrong it probably won't
   damage the company too much (and thus affect their rise to power).
2. P.C. software is plentiful and cheap, so that even if their choice is
   far from optimal they can probably find a vendor that sells something
   that they can press into service and then blame the poor software vendor
   and/or their underlings for poor productivity (and thus not affect their
   rise to power).
3. The "everyone else is doing it this way so it must be O.K." syndrome.
   Until just recently "nobody ever got fired for buying XYZ" was the most
   commonly held belief amongst managers.

Only managers who are truely willing to spend the time, money, and personal
effort necessary to truely find and aquire adequate tools for their employees
(and these people are *VERY* few and far between) will reap the tremendous
fruits which can be borne from a well-managed project with frugal staffing
and high productivity.  These are the mangers that will rise to greatness
in well-structured and intelligently run organizations.  They quickly earn
the respect of their peers, provide tangeable results with a minimum of fuss
for their superiors and foster the undying loyalty of their underlings.

Managers that are not literate in an area such as computers, yet are forced
to make decisions about their purchase, application, viability, etc., are
almost doomed from the start.  Companies that are smart should provide training
before supplying capitol expenditure dollars.  I firmly believe that if this
had been done prior to companies dumping millions of dollars
into P.C.'s, then the world would be a better place for all of us.

--
Mark C. Otto     Sysop Extrordinare   UUCP: {teemc | fmsrl7 | rjf001}!hpftc!mco
Voice: 1-313-390-5001    USnail: 15301 Mercantile, Dearborn, MI. 48120

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (10/17/89)

In article <9716@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) writes:
}Of course you want a Pee Cee.  Of course you can benefit from it.  But will
}your company/firm/organization reap the same benefits, or will they even
}be harmed by you.  If you really do well, your peers will dislike you and
}your tactics.  Your superiors will fear your success.  This is a real
}situation.  ...

I'll give you a real situation.  My boss just _gave_ me a PC.  I didn't
even ask for it.  He doesn't fear my success, he needs it.  His bonus is
directly affected by my productivity.

As for my peers, anyone stupid enough to resent me getting ahead by using
modern technology won't be my peer for long.  The same boss recently gave
me a promotion.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/18/89)

In article <20471@hpftc.UUCP> mco@hpftc.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) writes:
>Managers that are not literate in an area such as computers, yet are forced
>to make decisions about their purchase, application, viability, etc., are
>almost doomed from the start.

A *good* manager, when faced with having to make a decision in an area in
which he/she is not experienced, will seek the advice of one or more experts
and base decisions on that advice. Blind decision making is simply a *bad*
management practice. And it's companies with bad management that are doomed
from the start.

>Companies that are smart should provide training
>before supplying capitol expenditure dollars.

Yep, another good management decision!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (super) (10/26/89)

In article <20471@hpftc.UUCP> mco@hpftc.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) writes:
[ ..  some deleted  .. ], most of which I agree with

>It is true that the great majority of the semi-automated office workers in
>business today find themselves working on P.C. products.  These P.C.'s are
>generally purchased for the workers by insecure and generally computer
>illiterate managers.  These managers are convinced that P.C. products are
>the solution of choice for three reasons -
>
>1. P.C. hardware is cheap, so if their choice is wrong it probably won't
>   damage the company too much (and thus affect their rise to power).
>2. P.C. software is plentiful and cheap, so that even if their choice is
>   far from optimal they can probably find a vendor that sells something
>   that they can press into service and then blame the poor software vendor
>   and/or their underlings for poor productivity (and thus not affect their
>   rise to power).
>3. The "everyone else is doing it this way so it must be O.K." syndrome.
>   Until just recently "nobody ever got fired for buying XYZ" was the most
>   commonly held belief amongst managers.

This is a fairly major generalization. We have rather enlighted management,
but we got shafted from the UK Head Office. Out with networked Unix solution,
replace with ps/2's. Why -
1) Worldwide buying strategies count for something. In the UK market, lanned
   pc's are where it is at, and the global manager has been bit by Unix
   before. He is computer literate, etc, but has a global situation to address.
2) the bulk of users need spreadsheets and wp, and dos packages are more
   robust in the hands of the naive user, especially when in a small branch.
3) The airlines have some important global reservation systems. They run on
   ps2's under dos or os2. We have to run it. I wanted to try it under xenix
   but no-one was interested.
4) The age old IT managers argument - in 2000, who will be around ? IBM will.
5) Unix bad press. OSF really isn't helping the big MIS managers perception
   of Unix as a serious product. There are still too many individual unixes
   without ABI's or ANDF or whatever else to make Open Systems a believable
   concept. They seem more prepared to listen to IBM's promises of a coherent
   os2 future than 20 other vendors talking about how unix will get it's shit
   together real soon now. In some ways, I can't blame them.

Some of this makes very good business sense, much as I hate the whole idea.
Time to find a more appropriate job. I love Unix, os2 seems to be a toy.

My question is - does dos/os2 have enough of the important and useful unix
tools such as make, sccs, grep, awk, sh, etc, for people to work productively
under ? In the UK, a workstation is a PC. I want a workstation, but a Sun or
3100 or AViiON seem to be alien to these peoples thinking. I was offered all
the processing power I would ever need, and they were talking 386's. No
smiley, even.

Disclaimer - These depressing thoughts are mine alone. Think I'll go suicide
now.

--
Greg Calkin                                   Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited,
...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!marcamd!tcnz2!greg  PO Box 24,  Auckland CPO,

In article <164@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz>, greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (super) writes:
|  4) The age old IT managers argument - in 2000, who will be around ? IBM will.

  And AT&T will vanish? OSF I can believe will go away, it's a
conglomerate of natural competitors, but somehow I can't picture AT&T as
anything but a natural force.
that the world is flat!" - anon

deem@interlan.UUCP (Mike Deem) (10/28/89)

In article <164@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz> greg@tcnz2.UUCP (super) writes:

>My question is - does dos/os2 have enough of the important and useful unix
>tools such as make, sccs, grep, awk, sh, etc, for people to work productively
>under ?

DOS and UNIX don't compare, however I will answer this question concerning
OS/2 and UNIX.  Your question could be asked in two parts: "Is OS/2 pro-
ductive for users?" and "Is OS/2 productive for developers?" because we
(the developers) really use computers very differently then them (user).

For the user, OS/2 is a preferable environment over UNIX for a rather
simple reason: it was designed to be easy to use.  UNIX on the otherhand
was designed to be easy to develop under.  As a developer, you find it
easy to get things done under UNIX, however do your (novice) users find it
as easy to use your UNIX based systems?

As a developer, I find OS/2 to be as good as UNIX.  I must admit though
that I havn't done much work in UNIX.  I moved from DOS to OS/2.  There
are tools available that make OS/2 _VERY_ UNIX like.  True, they don't
come with the OS/2, but why should users pay for a bunch of stuff used
only by programmers.  I use the C Shell for OS/2 from Hamiliton Laboratories
along with a number of other utilites I have picked up here and there and
find that I can get as much programming, debugging and testing done on
OS/2 as anyone on UNIX can.

Because OS/2 is a new operating system, it still lacks some things the
UNIX world takes for granted.  One major area is wide area networking.
I still log into a UNIX machine to read my news for example.  Local area
networking on the other hand is comming along nicly.  I use CC:Mail on
OS/2 to send and receive mail from DOS, UNIX and MAC users.

Mike Deem
Racal InterLan
deem@interlan.interlan.com
sun!interlan!deem

The above opinions are my own and do not necessarly reflect those of
Racal InterLan.

aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Andy-Krazy-Glew) (10/29/89)

>A case can be made that for a site with a large number of non-computer-
>trained people will do much better with a single UNIX box and a number
>of dumb terminals. You only need one expert... with PCs everyone has to
>be computer-literate.

Dumb terminals hell!  How about a single UNIX box with a number
of bitmapped graphics terminals? Give 'em a MAC interface...

I've been trying to get this for a long time. Back when I was at Gould,
working on a machine with enough CPU and I/O to conceivably handle 100s
of bit-mapped screens at a time, if only there where a way of displaying
the bits, I wrote memos about it.

Well, finally it's been done.  The SUNRIVER for *86 PCs, X terminals,
and Motorola's own multiple tubes per box make it possible.
--
Andy "Krazy" Glew,  Motorola MCD,    	    	    aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.          {uunet!,}uiucuxc!udc!aglew

My opinions are my own; I indicate my company only so that the reader
may account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.