[comp.misc] Avoiding Wrist Damage when Typing

erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) (10/25/89)

I have heard horror stories about people who have ruined their wrists
from holding their hands in improper positions at computer or piano
keyboards.  Can anyone tell me how we're supposed to position our
hands (i.e. with wrists on table, low, high, whatever)?  Please
answer by email.  I will summarize if there is interest.

					Ellen

talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (10/26/89)

In article <15349@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
>I have heard horror stories about people who have ruined their wrists
>from holding their hands in improper positions at computer or piano
>keyboards.  Can anyone tell me how we're supposed to position our
>hands (i.e. with wrists on table, low, high, whatever)?  Please
>answer by email.  I will summarize if there is interest.
>
>					Ellen

I developed problems in my fingers from improper typing posture.  The
condition is commonly called "Trigger Finger" - I forget the medical
term.  After being told that surgery may be the solution I changed my
typing posture and have not had many problems since.

I used to type with my wrists or the heels of my palms resting on the table.
To reach the keys I had to bend my wrist back at an angle.  I started having
problems with pain in my hands and if were to grip something, e.g. a screw-
driver, my fingers would lock.  I had to straighten my fingers by pulling
them with the other hand.

I now type with my wrists flat and the problem rarely occurs.  Sit upright
with your elbows about the same height as the lower edge of the keyboard.
Your forearm will be inclined 3 to 5 degrees from horizontal.  One reason
I believe I developed bad typing posture before is that my chair was too
low relative to the keyboard.  I had to reach up to the keyboard and because
of arm fatigue I would rest my wrists on the table.
--
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

dennis@Peanuts (Dennis Cottel) (10/26/89)

talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:
> I used to type with my wrists or the heels of my palms resting on the table.

So can anyone point me to a company that sells an add-on wrist support
thingy?  This would be a wrist support attached to a flat plate that you
could slide underneath your keyboard.  I've looked in a number of computer
supplies catalogs with no luck.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

RR.MAX@forsythe.stanford.edu (10/26/89)

In article <1453@nosc.NOSC.MIL>,
dennis@Peanuts (Dennis Cottel) writes:
>So can anyone point me to a company that sells an add-on wrist support
>thingy?  This would be a wrist support attached to a flat plate that you
>could slide underneath your keyboard.  I've looked in a number of computer

One suggestion:  a towel, folded into enough plies to match
the thickness of the keyboard, will support the wrists, offer
a resilient, washable surface, and be immediately at hand when
you spill your coffee.

joeg@polygen.uucp (Joe Gaudreau) (10/27/89)

In <1932@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:
>In <15349@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
>>I have heard horror stories about people who have ruined their wrists
>>from holding their hands in improper positions at computer or piano
>>					Ellen
>
>I developed problems in my fingers from improper typing posture.  The
>condition is commonly called "Trigger Finger" - I forget the medical term

I think the term is "Meta-Carpal Tunnel Syndrome", it is a kind of
nerve pressure damage.  It can lead to all sorts of nasties.  I get it
from gymnastics and bicycling (used to be very *very* bad).  It got
bad enough that I considered surgery at one point.  However, not
liking the 'Mac the Knife' idea too much, I did some checking.  It
turns out that chiropractor's know about it and can do something about
it (usually without drugs or surgery).  In my case, an effective and
fun therapy to build wrist strength, flexibility and for re-alignment
is juggling (ie clubs).  Works for me.

Joe
-=-

---
Joe Gaudreau @ Polygen Corporation, Waltham, MA 02254  (617)890-2888
UUCP: {princeton,mit-eddie,buita,sunne}!polygen!joeg

ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (clifford.a.stevens..jr) (10/27/89)

In article <1932@dover.sps.mot.com>, talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:
> In article <15349@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
> I now type with my wrists flat and the problem rarely occurs.  Sit upright
> with your elbows about the same height as the lower edge of the keyboard.
> Your forearm will be inclined 3 to 5 degrees from horizontal.  One reason
> I believe I developed bad typing posture before is that my chair was too
> low relative to the keyboard.  I had to reach up to the keyboard and because
> of arm fatigue I would rest my wrists on the table.

This is good, but sitting at chair high enough for your wrists might make your
screen too low relative to your eyes.  My physical therapist says you should
look up at the screen, however I have no idea why, and I don't and it doesn't
seem to bother me!
------------
Who, me worry?!?
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (201)957-3902

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (10/27/89)

In article <1932@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:

>I developed problems in my fingers from improper typing posture.  The
>condition is commonly called "Trigger Finger" - I forget the medical
>term.

In the UK, at least, it's RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), or RST (...
Trauma).  It can also do your wrists in, which is the flavor of the
problem which tends to strike me.

>I now type with my wrists flat and the problem rarely occurs.  Sit upright
>with your elbows about the same height as the lower edge of the keyboard.
>Your forearm will be inclined 3 to 5 degrees from horizontal.  One reason
>I believe I developed bad typing posture before is that my chair was too
>low relative to the keyboard.  I had to reach up to the keyboard and because
>of arm fatigue I would rest my wrists on the table.

Another way of looking at this, which is what I was taught when I was
working my way through school as a typist, is that the TOP of your keys
should be level with the top of your 'normal' desk surface, or an inch
below.  (Assuming you have your chair 'normally' adjusted for working
comfortably at your desk.) Proper 'typist' desks have a 'well' which is
lower than the remainder of the desk surface for putting the typewriter
in, to achieve that result.  Goes without saying, then, that the normal
programmer's habit of putting the terminal on the normal desk
worksurface is unhealthy.  You should have a separate lower surface for
the terminal.

Can also aggravate the situation if you have to lean over to look at
your screen.  The screen should be raised above the keyboard so that
you can sit up straight with the keyboard at the right height as
described above, and have the screen somewhere near eyelevel or a bit
below.  Sitting on top of the system unit and a couple of phonebooks is
about right.

Finally, the faster you type the more likely you are to suffer RST.
It's more likely if you 'punch' the keys, less likely if you depress
them smoothly.  It's actually the sudden (small) jar when the key
bottoms out which (my references say) causes the damage.  So, slow
down, take advantage of any facility your system offers to allow you to
get your input in with less keystrokes -- abbreviations, speedtype,
aliases, function keys, command completion, ...  Of course (and
unfortunately) this is not possible for keyboard data-entry people, who
generally have to work to very high character per hour rates; and who
are most likely to suffer from RST.
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (10/27/89)

In article <1646@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (clifford.a.stevens..jr) writes:
.......  My physical therapist says you should
>look up at the screen, however I have no idea why, and I don't and it doesn't
>seem to bother me!
>------------
Ever tried looking UP at a screen when you are wearing bifocal (or Varilux)
spectacles. I am sat at an old PERQ with its screen set as low as possible,
and I still have to tilt my head back to get the top of the screen in focus.

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (10/27/89)

In article <1646@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, ncas@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (clifford.a.stevens..jr) writes:
> In article <1932@dover.sps.mot.com>, talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) writes:
> > In article <15349@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> erspert@athena.mit.edu (Ellen R. Spertus) writes:
> > I now type with my wrists flat and the problem rarely occurs.  Sit upright
> > with your elbows about the same height as the lower edge of the keyboard.
> > Your forearm will be inclined 3 to 5 degrees from horizontal.  One reason
> > I believe I developed bad typing posture before is that my chair was too
> > low relative to the keyboard.  I had to reach up to the keyboard and because
> > of arm fatigue I would rest my wrists on the table.
>
> This is good, but sitting at chair high enough for your wrists might make your
> screen too low relative to your eyes.  My physical therapist says you should
> look up at the screen, however I have no idea why, and I don't and it doesn't
> seem to bother me!

According to my orthopedist, neck problems are the second-most common
occupational hazard among programmers -- that he sees, at any rate.
The most common is wrist problems; it could be carpal tunnel syndrome
(I know at least one programmer who's had surgery because of it),
or it could be tendonitis.  I'm still wrestling with that -- figuratively
speaking, because I've got an damnably uncomfortable wrist splint on
right now, and I'm taking anti-inflammatories, etc.  Yes, wrist position
is very important.  Apparently, holding your wrists too high up, to
keep them off the table or keyboard edge, is bad, too.

More as I get more details, both from the doctor and from a friend who's
a physical therapist specializing in hands.

		--Steve Bellovin

mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Ginsberg) (10/28/89)

OK... I have a question... As a programmer/student/computer_operator, I type
a heck of a lot (far too much for my body's good) and already, on occasion,
feel some weakness and pain in my wrists... which could be anything from
plain exhaustion to something far worse...

Now I like tactile feel (the feeling of a "click" - of the key being pushed
back up by a tight spring beneath a certain depression level) but as I sit
and read the posts on this bboard, it occurred to me that this may be more
damaging than a "mushy" keyboard, which, so it seems, may be a lot less
stressful...

Well, even though I love my Northgate keyboard, should I, in preparation of
another few dozen years, go and put back my original motherboard (one that
is incredibly mushy), keep this one (for some reason I cannot currently think
of) or keep this one (because it doesn't make a difference one way or another)?

--Michael Ginsberg
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

ARPA:  mg32+@andrew.cmu.edu              |Electrocution, n:
BITNET:mg32%andrew@cmccvb                |    Burning at the stake with
UUCP:  ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mg32+  |    all the modern improvements.

Sex is not the answer.  Sex is the question.  Yes is the answer.

So *that's* why people started raising the monitor 6 inches above the keyboard.
Listen up... I *hate* that practice. I'm not a good typist, and can't touch-
type. With the monitor way up there I can't keep an eye on my keyboard and the
screen at the same time.

Yes, I know I need to learn to touch-type. One of these days. In the meantime
I stick the computer on the floor where it belongs (at home I have an Amiga
which has a low enough profile it doesn't bother me).
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/29/89)

In <6713@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
Peter> So *that's* why people started raising the monitor 6 inches
Peter> above the keyboard.

So *that's* why I became a good typist.  I'm not a home-row typist but
I'm pretty fast and don't have to look at the keyboard.  Now that I
think about it, it probably is related to the fact that the bottom of
the CRT in my monitor is 13 inches higher that desk level.

Incidentally, I don't feel as though I've ever had problems with my
hands or wrists, in spite of the fact that I spend so much time at the
keyboard.  Generally my keyboard is a little higher than waist height,
which seems to be good.  I also change my seating position frequently
enough to give it some variety.  At the moment the butt of the palm of
my left hand is resting on the desk and my right fore arm is resting
on my crossed leg at about an inch above keyboard height.  I should
move soon though because my foot is falling asleep.  Gronk.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (10/31/89)

I'm not a doctor, but my wife and some others I know have had this problem.

It's called Karpal Tunnel Syndrome.  The Karpal Tunnel is a ring of muscle
in your wrist.  It encircles the blood supply and nerves leading to three
of four fingers (and thumb?  I forget).  When stressed or damaged, it has a
tendency to swell inward, which reduces the blood flow to your fingers and
may pinch the nerves too.  The symptoms of real Karpal Tunnel syndrome are
chronic, moderately severe pain, weakness in the affected fingers, and cold
hands.  A surgical treatment is to cut the karpal tunnel, loosening it and
restoring blood flow (at the cost of weakening the wrist?).  The medical
treatment is use of aspirin, ibupropen or other anti-inflammatory drugs, hot
pads, wax baths, ultrasound, (and other PT things) and ceasing the activity
that caused the problem.  It often goes away in a couple of months if you
stop re-injuring it.