[comp.misc] What kind of archive is .arc ??

thearlin@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Thearling Kurt H) (10/30/89)

I've come accross a file saved using some sort of archive program
which i cannot figure out.  The file is called corewar.arc but I
can't find any de-archiver which is appropriate (I'm doing this on a
Sun3).  Anybody know how this file was saved or how I can de-archive
it?

Thanks in advance.

kurt

Kurt Thearling                                     General Electric CRD
                                                    Bldg. KW, Room C301
thearlin@vdsvax.crd.ge.com                                   P.O. Box 8
kurt@bach.csg.uiuc.edu                           Schenectady, NY  12301

mjb@nucleus.UUCP (Mark Bobak) (10/30/89)

In article <9855@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> thearlin@vdsvax.crd.ge.com writes:
>I've come accross a file saved using some sort of archive program
>which i cannot figure out.  The file is called corewar.arc but I
>can't find any de-archiver which is appropriate (I'm doing this on a
>Sun3).  Anybody know how this file was saved or how I can de-archive
>it?

The .ARC extension comes from the IBM-PC world.  I don't know if there is
any software available on the Sun to read format, however, if you have
access to a PC, track down a program called PKPAK by Phil Katz.  It's a
shareware program that's available on most BBS's or, if you prefer an ftp
site, you might try Simtel20 or Grape.  If you can't find it anywhere else,
I could uuencode it and mail it to you.  One other note, the program itself
is distributed as a self extracting archive.  You'll be looking for a file
called "PK361.EXE".  This file, when executed on a PC, will extract 3 or 4
programs and all the documentation you'll need.

P.S.  Simtel20's address is 26.2.0.74 and Grape's is 128.153.13.196.

--
Mark Bobak
The Nucleus Public Access Unix, Clarkston, Mi.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/31/89)

>In article <9855@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> thearlin@vdsvax.crd.ge.com writes:
>>I've come accross a file saved using some sort of archive program
>>which i cannot figure out.  The file is called corewar.arc but I
>>can't find any de-archiver which is appropriate (I'm doing this on a
>>Sun3).  Anybody know how this file was saved or how I can de-archive
>>it?

Pick up a unix un-arc program from terminator.cc.umich.edu.

--Ed