[comp.misc] Looking for a solution: Unix <-> fax

allen@ethz.UUCP (Mike Allen) (10/06/89)

We are interested in the possibilities of having a fax machine directly
accessible from our network of Unix machines. In particular, we are
looking for a hardware independent solution (ie no AT cards, no binary
only programs!).

I envisage a solution with a fax modem connected to either a Vax or
a Sun with a serial line. With the machine running some simple server
program (and/or integrating the service in with existing ones - eg mail,
lpd, etc), to allow faxes to be sent from anywhere on the net.
We can probably develop any software we need to connect from remote
machines to the 'fax server'.

The only fax modem that I have found so far that is independent of
a PC-AT bus is the Worldport 2496 Fax Modem.  However I do not have enough
information about it. For example, what format is used to send & receive faxes?
Could I use this device ? Are there any other devices which fit this bill ?

Having looked at the standard for Group III fax encoding, it doesn't seem
that converting this to/from a standard bitmap would be particularly hard
to do. Is there any good public domain software to do this ? I have seen
that the latest version of pbm has a g3topbm program which claims in the
manual page that "Doesn't work yet" is a bug ...

Has anyone already done what I want to ?

Thanks for any hints,

Mike.

Mike Allen, ETH Zuerich. Tel +41 1 256 3542
	..!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!allen
	allen@ethz.ch
Mike Allen, ETH Zuerich. Tel +41 1 256 4163
	..!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!allen
	allen@ethz.ch

In article <2186@ethz.UUCP>, allen@ethz.UUCP (Mike Allen) writes:

|  The only fax modem that I have found so far that is independent of
|  a PC-AT bus is the Worldport 2496 Fax Modem.  However I do not have enough
|  information about it. For example, what format is used to send & receive faxes?
|  Could I use this device ? Are there any other devices which fit this bill ?

  Hate to say it, but is there some reason why you want to be
independent of the AT bus? If I was looking for a FAX network solution I
would buy the cheapest 386 clone I could find, UNIX (and NFS if needed)
and call the 386 a "FAX controller." For outgoing I would far prefer to
setup a queue based on the SysV lp queue stuff.

  Of course if you're going to do lots of image processing with software
only available for Sun I could see it, but you don't mention that. Even
at educational discounts a Sun probably will cost a good bit more than a
386 clone.
that the world is flat!" - anon

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (10/12/89)

In the referenced message, allen@ethz.UUCP (Mike Allen) wrote:
}                                                             I have seen
}that the latest version of pbm has a g3topbm program which claims in the
}manual page that "Doesn't work yet" is a bug ...

Thanks to Paul Haeberli, I now have a g3topbm that works, plus a pbmtog3.
They'll show up in your favorite sources newsgroup fairly soon.
---
Jef

    Jef Poskanzer  pokey@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
              "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

rich@cfi.COM (rich) (10/18/89)

allen@ethz.UUCP (Mike Allen) writes:

>We are interested in the possibilities of having a fax machine directly
>accessible from our network of Unix machines. In particular, we are
>looking for a hardware independent solution (ie no AT cards, no binary
>only programs!).

We are currently waiting for delivery of a serial-port Fax modem for our Suns
from Perfect Byte, Inc. (Omaha, Nebraska; 402-554-1122).  This is (supposedly)
a just-released product.  (I say supposedly because we've been strung along
with promises of delivery since July 1.)

The only hardware details I have are from their marketing blurbs; here's an
excerpt:

    The FAXmodem 9600... performs conversion of text and raster files for direct
    fax transmission.  Files produced by computer aided publishing systems can
    be incorporated directly into facsimiles...

    Incoming faxes can be viewed and annotated, and saved in various popular
    file formats.  Graphics software and scanners can be used to incorporate
    images from existing hardcopy to create facsimiles... The FAXmodem control
    software supports delayed transmissions, automatic dialing, online phone
    directory, message forwarding, e-mail notification of FAX activity and
    printing options.  A variety of image file-save options are available,
    including FAX format, Sun raster, PostScript and TIFF.

    Quantity 1 pricing is $1,295, plus shipping.  This price includes the
    FAXmodem, Sun driver/application software on quarter-inch tar tape
    cartridge for use on up to 2 workstations, serial interface cable, and user
    documentation.

I suggest you call Michael Couch (VP) or Keith Wagner (Pres.) at Perfect Byte
for more info.  If there is sufficient interest, I will provide a review of
the product once we get it running.
--
Rich Baughman		  rich@cfi.com OR ima!cfisun!rich
Price Waterhouse          Waltham, MA  617-899-6500

root@infoac.rmi.de (Operator) (10/25/89)

rich@cfi.COM (rich) writes:
>We are currently waiting for delivery of a serial-port Fax modem for our Suns
>from Perfect Byte, Inc. (Omaha, Nebraska; 402-554-1122).  This is (supposedly)
>a just-released product.
>    Quantity 1 pricing is $1,295, plus shipping.  This price includes the
>    FAXmodem, Sun driver/application software on quarter-inch tar tape
>    cartridge for use on up to 2 workstations, serial interface cable, and user
>    documentation.

Thanks for the price information. I wrote several times to them, but always
got the same paper without prices.
because all serial lines of our SUN are in use it would be interesting to
learn abt the possibility to run it via a terminal server (micom...).
Because of the slow reactions of Perfect Byte we just started to use
a 'DATAFAX' Box from a German manufacturer. It by now just sends ASCII
texts an I made a driver for the MICOM. They are upgrading to graphics
soon (?).

>If there is sufficient interest, I will provide a review of
>the product once we get it running.

I am interested...
   ___  ____  ___    _  _ ___ ___   ___ ___ ___     ___ _  _

* addresses:  uucp   rmohr@infoac.rmi.de  rmohr@unido.bitnet    *
*             cis    72446,415            Fax    49 241 32822   *

satow@infohh.rmi.de (Stephan Satow) (11/10/89)

Ich suche Software, um aus PCX oder TIFF Dateien
F Dateien zu generieren.
Wer kann hierzu Software empfehlen?
Bitte direkt an meine EMAIL Adresse schicken, da ich
nicht regelmaessig hier hinerinschaue.