[comp.misc] Speech Recognition Breakthru

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (11/10/89)

In article <2932@hub.UUCP> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:
>On CNN this weekend was a short piece on a development in speech recognition
>by Roger Moore of the Royal Signals & Radar Establishment in Malvern England.
>It seems he has come up with a simple algorithm of transcribing speech.
>Can anyone direct me to recent papers by Dr. Moore or the work he is doing?

I am also interested in this story, although it should be treated with the
same credence as those similar stories that have appeared over the past three
decades.  From a linguistic point of view, it is impossible to come up with a
simple algorithm for transcribing speech.  The issues involved in that task
are horrendously complex.  What Moore has come up with is probably a new way
of segmenting the acoustic stream.  I'd like to know more about it.

--
Rick Wojcik   csnet:  rwojcik@atc.boeing.com
              uucp:   uw-beaver!bcsaic!rwojcik

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (11/10/89)

In article <2932@hub.UUCP> probert@aviary.gm.hac.com writes:
>On CNN this weekend was a short piece on a development in speech recognition
>by Roger Moore of the Royal Signals & Radar Establishment in Malvern England.
>It seems he has come up with a simple algorithm of transcribing speech.
>Can anyone direct me to recent papers by Dr. Moore or the work he is doing?

    I would, also, like to get this information.  Thanks

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497