[comp.misc] RPN Calculators

otmar@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Otmar_Borchard) (11/10/89)

>Are there any companies, other than HP, that currently make RPN calculators?
>Where could I find information about them?  I dimly recall one, but that was
>many years ago...

>      Victor
----------

So what's wrong with HP calculators?   :-)

--- Otmar Borchard
    Hewlett-Packard
    Corvallis, Oregon

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (11/10/89)

[I've redirected follow-ups to comp.sys.misc and comp.sys.handhelds.]

In article <2148@leah.Albany.Edu> bv3456@leah.albany.edu
 (Victor @ The Concrete Museum) writes:
>Are there any companies, other than HP, that currently make RPN calculators?
>Where could I find information about them?  I dimly recall one, but that was
>many years ago...

Strictly speaking, all of them.  Any calculator which requires you
to calculate, say, a square root or a trig function by first entering
the number to which the operation will be applied, then pressing the
operator key, is an RPN calculator.  The fact that most of them use
infix entry of simple arithmetic doesn't change this.

As far as making machines which use only RPN, the last non-HP machines
I bought which did this were the old Sinclair scientific calculators:
- first, the 'Scientific', which was white with a blue and grey keyboard,
  and only supported 5-digit scientific notation (the "Cambridge"
  case style, smaller than a cigarette packet) -- originally available
  in kit form to mitigate its high price (circa 1975);
- then, the 'Scientific Programmable' (in the "Oxford" case style),
  with 24 steps of programmability, and only sine, cosine and arctangent
  trig functions (you could work out the others yourself!)) (1977);
- and lastly, the Cambridge Programmable, with 36 steps of programmability
  and a hump on the back of the old Cambridge style case to hold the
  larger battery it needed to power its NatSemi single-chip micro (1978).

I'm not aware of any other purely RPN machines after this, but I'd be
interested in finding out if there were (or are) any.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (11/11/89)

In article <22400001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> otmar@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Otmar_Borchard) writes:
>>Are there any companies, other than HP, that currently make RPN calculators?

>So what's wrong with HP calculators?   :-)

>--- Otmar Borchard
>    Hewlett-Packard
>    Corvallis, Oregon

I'm more concerned with how much longer HP will be making RPN calculators
now that they seem to have more "Algebraic" calculators than RPN models.
I've always found HP calculators refreshingly simple to use, but "algebraic"
calculators are a mess because they are sometimes infix and sometimes
postfix, and while there is a stack you have little control over it
(mess up a parenthesis and you have to start all over from the beginning;
on an RPN calculator you can usually salvage intermediate results).

(OK, I do have to confess that I like Forth!)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

dbw@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (david.b.wood) (11/11/89)

Not all HP calculators are RPN anymore.  Which ones are??

hacker@isadora.ikp.liu.se (Goran Larsson [Hacker of Hackefors]) (11/12/89)

In article <6328@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>I've always found HP calculators refreshingly simple to use, but "algebraic"
>calculators are a mess because they are sometimes infix and sometimes
>postfix, ...

The same argument can be used againts the postfix HP calculators:
    "1 STO 5" to store 1 in memory register 5, that's INFIX!
    It should have been "1 5 STO", that's POSTFIX.

(don't know about the new machines like 28s)

>(OK, I do have to confess that I like Forth!)

same here :-)

>Tom Almy
>toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
>Standard Disclaimers Apply

  !       _
  ! !    Goran Larsson  [The Hacker of Hackefors]
--+-!    Hackefors, Linkoping, SWEDEN (See)  +46 13-155535 (Hear)
  !-+--  ...!uunet!sunic!liuida!prodix!isadora!hacker (UUCP)
  ! !    hacker@isadora.ikp.liu.se (Internet)
    !                                                    Mmh, Yes

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (11/13/89)

In article <22400001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> otmar@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Otmar_Borchard) writes:

>So what's wrong with HP calculators?   :-)

Overpriced.  (For my pocketbook.  Not sure there *is* an objective meaning
for 'overpriced'.)  Other than that they're great, and I'd own a fancier
one than the one I do if it cost what I expect a calculator of that sort
to cost....
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/14/89)

In <1989Nov13.151208.3559@gdt.bath.ac.uk> exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee):
> if it cost what I expect a calculator of that sort to cost....

	When buying anything, you have to figure (or should that be
calculate?) in the expected lifetime.  I've still got a HP-33E which I
bought in, I think, 1979.  I've had to replace the battery pack (about $20,
and HP still stocked the part 8 or 9 years after I bought the calculator)
but it still works fine.  How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
you know of that will still be working 10 years later?  Odds are, my HP
will still be working in another 10 years too, and HP will probably still
be stocking battery packs for it too..  About the only things I know of
which are built to last longer than HP equipment are old WECO telephones.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

otmar@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Otmar_Borchard) (11/15/89)

> Not all HP calculators are RPN anymore.  Which ones are??
> ----------

I don't work in the calculator division or sales or customer support,
but I checked our catalog and it shows HP currently offers six RPN
calculators.

    12C  --- Financial Calculator
    32S  --- Scientific Calculator
    42S  --- Scientific Calculator for Engineering
    41CV --- Advanced Programmable Calculator
    41CX --- Advanced Programmable Calculator
    28S  --- Advanced Scientific Calculator

--- Otmar Borchard
    Hewlett-Packard
    Corvallis, Oregon
    (503) 750-4981

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/15/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
   How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do you know of that
   will still be working 10 years later?

My TI-59, which leapfrogged the HP-67 (its nearest competitor) for a
while.

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/16/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
>you know of that will still be working 10 years later?

I have a TI four-function calculator that I bought in 1976 which
still works, but having opened it up one time to clean out the keypad
I doubt that it will still work if I ever drop it.  I once heard a
story of an HP salesman who, when a student asked why he should pay
more for an HP than the comparable TI, threw his HP as hard as
possible at a concrete wall.  "Now you try it with yours."
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (11/16/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
<How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do you know of that
<will still be working 10 years later?

I expect both of my TIs to be working in 10 years; and they've been
working for the last 10.

Of course, I don't use the things anymore. The Amiga at home has at
least 5 calculator programs online (financial, scientific, programmers
from one package; the standard one that comes with the system; and a
Rexx calculator which lets me invoke arbitrary ARexx functions) and
Unix has at least three that I can think of, giving me most of that
same power.

Anyone want to buy a TI Programmer, or an SR-51 with a fair selection
of software cards?

	<mike
--
Cats will be cats and cats will be cool			Mike Meyer
Cats can be callous and cats can be cruel		mwm@berkeley.edu

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (11/16/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>         When buying anything, you have to figure (or should that be
> calculate?) in the expected lifetime.  I've still got a HP-33E which I
> bought in, I think, 1979.  I've had to replace the battery pack (about $20,
> and HP still stocked the part 8 or 9 years after I bought the calculator)
> but it still works fine.

I was given an HP11-C for high school graduation ('82) by my uncle, and it
is still working with its original batteries. (They are not rechargeable -
I think they are silver oxide or something like that.) Granted I don't use
it much now that I'm out of college, but that's still pretty impressive.

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (11/16/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.misc / frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) /  6:19 am  Nov 10, 1989 /

>As far as making machines which use only RPN, the last non-HP machines
>I bought which did this were the old Sinclair scientific calculators:
>- first, the 'Scientific', which was white with a blue and grey keyboard,
>  and only supported 5-digit scientific notation (the "Cambridge"
>  case style, smaller than a cigarette packet) -- originally available
>  in kit form to mitigate its high price (circa 1975);
>- then, the 'Scientific Programmable' (in the "Oxford" case style),
>  with 24 steps of programmability, and only sine, cosine and arctangent
>  trig functions (you could work out the others yourself!)) (1977);
>- and lastly, the Cambridge Programmable, with 36 steps of programmability
>  and a hump on the back of the old Cambridge style case to hold the
>  larger battery it needed to power its NatSemi single-chip micro (1978).
>
>I'm not aware of any other purely RPN machines after this, but I'd be
>interested in finding out if there were (or are) any.

These calculators were not really RPN; they were really "adding machine"
notation (I forget the real name).  There is no 'Enter' key like on the
HP and old National Semi machines; to enter a number and start a new equation,
you were required to press clear, then the number and '+'.  This
essentially cleared the x register, and then added the new number to 0
to 'Enter' it.  I still have my Sinclair Scientific kit, and just played
with it a bit this morning.  By the way, they initially sold it in non-kit
form (I remember the ads in Scientific American), but switched to kit
form to drop the price and be more competitive.  Mine cost $20.00 in about
1974/75.

Scott Linn
HP - Northwest IC Division

rjd@dell.dell.com (Randall J. Davis) (11/16/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>but it still works fine.  How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
>you know of that will still be working 10 years later?  Odds are, my HP
>will still be working in another 10 years too, and HP will probably still
>be stocking battery packs for it too..  About the only things I know of
>which are built to last longer than HP equipment are old WECO telephones.

  Huh???? How many calculators do *you* know that will NOT be working in
ten years???

  Let's see, my Dad's old TI calculator he bought in sometime like 1973 still
works (you know the one - the first TI with a sqare root and memory).  The
TI-58C I bought in high school (1979) still works fine - or at least it did
a few nights ago when I turned it on.  The Casio fx-68 I bought in 1979 that
I use very regularly (full scientific in a business card size package) still
works, though I did have to replace the batteries again last year (watch
batteries).

   In fact, the only calculator I have that did not work until recently was
the HP-11C I won in a college electrical engineering design contest.  It did
not work for a long time because I had difficulty finding the odd-sized watch
batteries they wnat me to put into it - I ended up simply putting some in that
were merely the same size and it seems to work just fine (though the manual
says something about only using such-and-such number battery).

  Sounds like you have a skewed problem with calculators....

Randy Davis				UUCP: dell.dell.com!rjd

maujt@warwick.ac.uk (Richard J Cox) (11/16/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	When buying anything, you have to figure (or should that be
>calculate?) in the expected lifetime.  I've still got a HP-33E which I
>bought in, I think, 1979.  I've had to replace the battery pack (about $20,
>and HP still stocked the part 8 or 9 years after I bought the calculator)
>but it still works fine.  How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
>you know of that will still be working 10 years later?

Well my casio fx350 is still working - nearly 8 years after I got it.
It has been heavily used - I carried it around in a pocket for 5 years
while at secondary school (nearly equivalent to American high school).
It is still on its 2nd battery. It is still doing excellent service
despite a slightly dogey on/off switch.

- RC

/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
JANET:  maujt@uk.ac.warwick.cu                    |"I want it all, and I
ARPA:   maujt@cu.warwick.ac.uk                    | want it now"
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!maujt               |             ~ Queen
BITNET: maujt%uk.ac.warwick.cu@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk |
/*------------------------------------------------+-------------------------*/
Richard Cox, Undergrad, Applied Maths, University Of Warwick, Coventry, UK

marks@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Mark D. Salzman) (11/17/89)

In article <1989Nov15.171212.642@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> ..... I once heard a
>story of an HP salesman who, when a student asked why he should pay
>more for an HP than the comparable TI, threw his HP as hard as
>possible at a concrete wall.  "Now you try it with yours."

I can attest to the durability of HP calculators. In 82 I had a motorcycle
accident while carrying a HP41-C in my backpack. I took a 20 foot flight
and landed right on top of the HP. Aside from a few major dings in the case,
it worked fine. I used it for about a year after that before finally sending
it in for a new case. I still have and use it to this day.

#include <std.disclaimer>

--
# Mark D. Salzman    Phone: (206) 253-5542.  #  The more complex the mind,
# Tektronix Inc., P.O. Box 3500, M/S C1-936  #  the greater the need for

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (11/17/89)

}
}I expect both of my TIs to be working in 10 years; and they've been
}working for the last 10.
 [...]
}Anyone want to buy a TI Programmer, or an SR-51 with a fair selection
}of software cards?

I got so fed up with the TI Programmer they gave me at work I went out and
bought my own Casio CM-100.  It has roughly double the functionality at
1/3 the cost and Casio _knows how to debounce a keyboard_.  After four
years of rattling around in my briefcase, it still looks and works like
new.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (11/17/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.misc / rjd@dell.dell.com (Randall J. Davis) / 12:06 pm  Nov 15, 1989 /

>  Sounds like you have a skewed problem with calculators....

Well, when I was in college, I fixed a total of 12 TI calculators. Sometimes
the keyboard, sometimes the charger, sometimes the display...

Scott Linn

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (11/17/89)

In article <1989Nov15.171212.642@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
}In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
}>How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
}>you know of that will still be working 10 years later?

}... I once heard a
}story of an HP salesman who, when a student asked why he should pay
}more for an HP than the comparable TI, threw his HP as hard as
}possible at a concrete wall.  "Now you try it with yours."

Funny -- a TI salesman once gave me the same pitch.  In addition, TI had
the best warranty in the business at the time (~1978).  One person I knew
dropped his TI calculator off the back of his motorcycle at 50 mph.  Then
a car ran over it.  He took the remains to the local TI service center and
they handed him a new one on the spot, no questions asked.

Those were the days ... (-:

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 452-9191, x2483
Santa Monica, CA  90405 {csun|philabs|psivax}!ttidca!hollombe

bobk@hpcuha.HP.COM (Bob Kentwortz) (11/18/89)

I had a TI-25 in highschool.... which failed in college. I'm sorry I did not
think to go to the service center (where ever that is), but I just went out and
bought a TI-35. I think it still works. My sister borrowed it and I've not seen
it for years. Now I work at HP and have not found a reason to buy one. Although
with the employee discounts, they're affordable.

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (11/19/89)

In article <12580001@hpcuha.HP.COM> bobk@hpcuha.HP.COM (Bob Kentwortz) writes:
	I had a TI-25 in highschool.... which failed in college. I'm
	sorry I did not think to go to the service center (where ever
	that is), but I just went out and bought a TI-35. I think it
	still works. My sister borrowed it and I've not seen it for
	years. Now I work at HP and have not found a reason to buy one.
	Although with the employee discounts, they're affordable.

So when his first one broke, he didn't get it fixed.  He gave his second
one away.  Now he gets an employee discount, and doesn't buy one.

With testimonials like this, HP doesn't need any enemies!

Ha ha!  Thanks for the chuckle!
--
-Jeffrey W Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu) (608)262-8686

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (11/20/89)

> I have a TI four-function calculator that I bought in 1976 which
> still works, but having opened it up one time to clean out the keypad
> I doubt that it will still work if I ever drop it.  I once heard a
> story of an HP salesman who, when a student asked why he should pay
> more for an HP than the comparable TI, threw his HP as hard as
> possible at a concrete wall.  "Now you try it with yours."

I've heard a few stories about HP repair.  One: The user shipped the unit
back after accidently spilling coke into the keypad.  The unit was repaired
and shipped back with a note to the effect that HP calculators do not
particularly like coke.

Two: A salesman returned a defective calculator (which had failed after
a particularly hard throw against the wall) for repair.  When the unit
came back, a note was included which said basically, "Don't throw it
quite so hard next time."

Disclaimer: heard from an HP tech.  Stories may be in the realm of urban
legends by now.  However, the following IS true:

A high-school friend had purchased the HP-67, and accidently dropped it
while getting into his car.  He didn't realize it until after he ran
over it with the front tire of his VW kit car.  Scuffed the carrying case
pretty well, and there were one or two scratches on the case, but other-
wise was no worse for wear.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

snoopy@ixos.UUCP (Snoopy Schmitz) (11/20/89)

In article <1989Nov15.180141.12383@agate.berkeley.edu> mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) writes:
>In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
><How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do you know of that
><will still be working 10 years later?
>
>I expect both of my TIs to be working in 10 years; and they've been
>working for the last 10.

I still own a TI SR-50 which was the predecessor of the SR-51, SR-51A, SR-52
and the TI-5? series.
I bought it in late 1971 for the extortionate price of over 200 dollars
(thats how much these beasts cost at the time here in Germany and dollars
were worth a lot more too. Gasp).

Its still works perfectly, althought the paint came off
the case already. TI had the part no problem. The other problem was the little
piece of foam rubber underneath the keys to protect the sealed contact
plate for the keys. I replaced that with some fabric. No problem.

I also have a SR 51A (bought in 1976 I think) (still working perfectly)
and a TI-59 and printer(ca. 1978).
Those were the days when we wrote file systems
for the TI-59 so it would tell us which cards to feed it
and joined the TI Exchange Users Club. The gang from HP tried NNN
(non normalized numbers) which would fry their printers if you tried to
print them. Aaaah - the joys of reminiscing - its been a while you know.

Compared to those things most modern CASIOs look positively tacky !

I do by the way collect old calculators which people give them to me. I have a
few old HP' s and TI's so if you wish to get rid of yours I would be
happy to give them a new home...one day I will give my Museum
of Wholesome Calculators to my kids - along with my Cromemco Rubber Corp.
Standard Maths Tables (the paint came off the cover of those too) !

If you want to donate some calculators or share memories, please
get in touch.

Love,
Snoopy
snoopy@ixos.uucp
uunet!unido!ixos!snoopy
--

emct41@castle.ed.ac.uk (E S Fraga) (11/21/89)

Since everybody else is doing it, here goes nothing...

I have (and are still used somewhat) the following calculators

TI SR52		bought in 1975 - has new battery pack
HP 19c		bought in 1978
HP 41c		bought when they came out (something like 1978 or
		1979)
Casio Scientific Solar	1982
Casio fx-7000G graphics 	bought in 1986

I think almost any calculator will last "forever" given proper
treatment, but I must admit that my HP19C is still my favourite
for key-feel and solid feel overall.

eric
|Eric S Fraga, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Edinburgh   |
|phone: +44 31 667 1081 x2958, eric@uk.ac.ed.mech or eric@mech.ed.ac.uk      |

me@karl.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) (11/24/89)

In article <4120@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

   but it still works fine.  How many TI/Casio/Sharp/Whatever calculators do
   you know of that will still be working 10 years later?  Odds are, my HP
   will still be working in another 10 years too, and HP will probably still

Aeh, although I can't understand, why anybody would want to use a calculator
that is not RPN anyway :-), there is the TI 59 a friend of mine ows.
It is one of the five first machines, TI delivered to Germany, and it still
works. Even though my friend refuses to switch that thing off (he has it
mounted on the printer, so it doesn't use batteries) it looks like it will
last another 10 to 15 years.

But still, i prefere HP calculators. My HP 41 flew once through half of the
classroom (why is a long story :-) ). All that broke was the battery pack,
I had to resolder the accumulators. I'm looking forward to give it to one of
my grandchildren, when I'm old and tired :-).

ekn@loglule.se (Erik Karlsson) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov13.151208.3559@gdt.bath.ac.uk> exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>In article <22400001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> otmar@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Otmar_Borchard) writes:
>>
>>So what's wrong with HP calculators?   :-)
>>
>Overpriced.  (For my pocketbook.  Not sure there *is* an objective meaning
>for 'overpriced'.)  Other than that they're great, and I'd own a fancier
>one than the one I do if it cost what I expect a calculator of that sort
>to cost....

	Paul-

	I don't think they're overpriced. Mechanically they're wonderful.
	I mean... Press a button on a HP calculator, and do the same on a
	Casio. Using a Casio, without staring at the display, to be sure
	all your inputs are accepted, is quite impossible. On an HP there is
	no such problem. At my work I've got an HP-32S, and I love it, but
	at home I've got a Casio FX-602 P (bought in '82). The Casio is a
	very good calculator, but its keyboard is quite a problem.

	What I'd like to say about HP is that they're good and cost a lot
	of money, but they're not expensive. And absolutely not overpriced.
	It's a kind of calculator that is not, primarily, intended for
	students, rather professional use, and *I* wouldn't like that to
	change. We can't compromise with their mechanical and anatomical
	qualities.

	HP! Keep up your good work with calculators, don't fall into the
	low-budget market. :-)

	O /
	-X------------------------------------------------------------------
	O \
	Erik Karlsson			"Honk, if you love
	ekn@lulea.telelogic.se		 peace and quiet"
	tel. +46920 754 22

ekn@loglule.se (Erik Karlsson) (11/24/89)

	There's been a lot of discussion on the subject of long lasting
	calculators, especially TIs. TI where on top during the early
	'70-s. In the late '70-s they started degenerating into terrible
	stuff like the TI-31 and TI-57 (I'm not sure about the last one).
	Things that lasted 3 months or sometimes even shorter. Double
	pressing of "3" and other not to pleasant surprises (recognize?).

	If you've got an old TI from '73, take care of it well, it's one
	h*ll of a calculator. :-) It'll last almost forever.

	TI does has not kept up their quality the same way that HP has.
	They've headed for the low-budget market.

	O /
	-X---------------------------------------------------------------
	O \	Erik Karlsson		!	"Honk, if you love
		ekn@lulea.telelogic.se	!	 peace and quiet"
		tel. +46920 754 22	!

hoffman@speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Bob Hoffman) (11/29/89)

I still have these antiques:

	Olivetti Programma 101, RPN, programmable, $3500 in 1968.

	TI SR50, non-RPN, non-programmable, $150 in 1973.

Since the Olivetti weighs 60+ pounds, I tend to carry the TI with me... :-)

	---Bob.

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman@cs.pitt.edu

hunt@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Hunt) (11/30/89)

In article <ME.89Nov23181204@karl.pcs.com> me@karl.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) writes:
>works. Even though my friend refuses to switch that thing off (he has it
>mounted on the printer, so it doesn't use batteries) it looks like it will
>last another 10 to 15 years.
My brothers HP35 is still running, but he started to find it hard
to get chargers and packs, so it sits unused now.  My old 45 is
fine, being used by my other brother, and I now have a 41C.  I
count myself lucky to have never learned Algeblech notation.

>But still, i prefere HP calculators. My HP 41 flew once through half of the
>classroom (why is a long story :-) ). All that broke was the battery pack,
>I had to resolder the accumulators. I'm looking forward to give it to one of
>my grandchildren, when I'm old and tired :-).
My 41 went through worse, I jumped over a fence, and landed in a
puddle, and it popped out of my pack.  I didn't notice for ten
minutes and went back to find it flooded.  If I had taken it
apart and dried it out it would have been fine, but NNOOOOOOOO!!!!
It was still under warranty, so I wrapped it up and shipped it to
HP service.  They shipped it back WITHOUT EVEN OPENING IT!  So I
took it apart, and replaced the little rubber inter board
communication carrier, that had corroded, with wires delicately
soldered to the contact points.  30 or so I think, in two 1 inch
long rows less than a quarter of an inch apart.  I then folded it
back together and it has run perfectly ever since, 4 years!!!

On another note, doesn't anybody miss those real leather carriers
that came with the early ones, now they give you plastic.  I
don't put it on my belt anymore, but it is still a better
carrier.  Why did they get cheap carriers for the top of the line
calculator??  Others have asked where I got mine, so they are
wanted.  Does anybody still make them?  Original supplier???

jim hunt@ernie.Berkeley.EDU	H&H Enterprises (1 employee)
These ARE the bosses opinions, I AM the * boss!!!
grad UCB, MS EE/CS, May 90, resume on request.