[comp.misc] Nuking a lit cigarette

landauer@morocco.Sun.COM (Doug Landauer) (12/13/89)

> >P.S. ... ever tried to microwave a lit cigarette?
>
> ... besides permanently contaminating my microwave, just what
> *does* happen if I try zapping a lit cigarette????

(Disclaimer:  I haven't seen this tried since 1973, and it is possible
that the technology of microwave ovens and/or the chemistry of
cigarettes has changed enough to prevent this from happening nowadays.
And, it doesn't seem like it could possibly be very good for the
microwave.)

Anyway, here's what I -- er, uh, someone I used to know, yeah, that's
it -- did:  poked a cigarette-sized hole in the bowl of a plastic spoon
and stood the lit cigarette up vertically in that hole.  Then put the
assembly into the microwave, and turn it on.  What happened was that
the microwave buzzed real loud, and there was a moving, flickering
light in the air inside the oven.  The spoon (this type usually
survives a normal microwave experience) turned into a little black mass
and eventually caught fire.

The best part was that flickering light -- it looked like lightning in
there.  My guess is that the (not quite fully-oxidized) smoke particles
in the air inside the oven were igniting.  Another theory is that the
chemicals that they put in the cigarette to keep it burning were
evaporating and then igniting.  All in all, it was pretty impressive.

But -- it's probably best to use someone else's microwave.
And don't stand too close ...
--
  Doug Landauer -- landauer@eng.sun.com   or   ...!sun!landauer   _
  Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- SPD, SET, Languages                  La no ka 'oi.

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) (12/14/89)

In article <129144@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, landauer@morocco.Sun.COM (Doug Landauer) writes:
#
# # # P.S. ... ever tried to microwave a lit cigarette?
# #
#
# Anyway, here's what I -- er, uh, someone I used to know, yeah, that's
# it -- did:  [explains a spoon-holder assembly...]
# assembly into the microwave, and turn it on.  What happened was that
# the microwave buzzed real loud, and there was a moving, flickering
# light in the air inside the oven.  [spoon gets wasted...]
#
# The best part was that flickering light -- it looked like lightning in
# there.  My guess is that the (not quite fully-oxidized) smoke particles
# in the air inside the oven were igniting.  Another theory is that the
# chemicals that they put in the cigarette to keep it burning were
# evaporating and then igniting.  All in all, it was pretty impressive.
#

Isn't cigarette tobacco treated with saltpeter (sp?) to keep it
burning?  I think this may be what caused the lightning...as far as
the spoon catching fire goes, I've never had luck nuking things that
have solid plastic in it's make-up, I remember one time trying to
pop the "old maids" left over in a Pop Secret (tm) bag...clipped it
shut with a plastic paperclip...bad idea!  Oh yeah, stapling the bag
shut causes lots-o-burnage as well!
--
Ray E. Saddler III                 UseNet            ___ ___ ___ ___     ___
CAD System/Network Admin  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd  /__//  //__  /  /\ //  _

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/14/89)

In article <129144@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> landauer@sun.UUCP (Doug Landauer) writes:
}
}> >P.S. ... ever tried to microwave a lit cigarette?
}>
}> ... besides permanently contaminating my microwave, just what
}> *does* happen if I try zapping a lit cigarette????

}... the microwave buzzed real loud, and there was a moving, flickering
}light in the air inside the oven.  ...
}
}The best part was that flickering light -- it looked like lightning in
}there.  ...

This is a pretty good description of the phenomenon of arcing.  Most older
microwave ovens, and some new ones, will do this if a metal object is
placed inside.  Apparently a burning object has a similar effect --
probably something to do with ionized particles acting as conductors.  It
is detrimental to the health of the oven.

I got the same effect once by putting my ACM coffee cup into the MW oven
at work.  I didn't realize the trim around the logo was Real(tm) gold.
The resulting arcs burned several sections of the trim off before I could
stop the oven.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum