[comp.misc] PC Process Control Info Needed

fredb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Fred Buechler) (12/20/89)

Hello Networld!

     My uncle is looking for a way to get his PC to monitor a number of analog
inputs (temperature, pressure, flow rate, etc.) and make adjustments to the
devices that control these variables to keep them within specified tolerances.

     I don't even know where to start looking for hardware/software solutions
to this problem. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thanks
in advance to all who respond. Post here or email to: fredb@llama.rtech.com

-- Fred.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/20/89)

In <4324@rtech.rtech.com> fredb@llama.UUCP (Fred Buechler) writes:
>     My uncle is looking for a way to get his PC to monitor a number of analog
>inputs (temperature, pressure, flow rate, etc.) and make adjustments to the
>devices that control these variables to keep them within specified tolerances.

	There are many companies who make cards for PCs to do this kind of
equipment.  Data Translation is one of the big players.  Analog Devices
might have board level produces, but I think they mostly just make
components.  National Instruments makes a large line of IEEE-488 interfaces
for all sorts of machines (I'm sure they have a PC one); it's a bit of an
expensive route, but you could implement your whole control system based on
IEEE-488 devices with the PC as a controller.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (12/21/89)

In some article, Fred Buechler writes:

>      My uncle is looking for a way to get his PC to monitor a number of analog
> inputs (temperature, pressure, flow rate, etc.) and make adjustments to the
> devices that control these variables to keep them within specified tolerances.
>
>      I don't even know where to start looking for hardware/software solutions
> to this problem.

I've used remote sensing equipment from Opto-22 with very good results (can
someone else provide an address or phone number for Opto-22?)  Their boards
consist of up to 16 devices on a board.  The devices can be selected from a
wide variety of relays, analog to digital converters, event counters, etc.
Each board connects to your PC via an RS-422 line (or RS-232C with a
convertor), and each board is assigned an address so that multiple boards can
hang on the same RS-422 port.  Use of RS-422 allows reliable operation over
much longer distances than RS-232C.

The boards are programmable, including watchdog timers, checksum verification
before executing a command, etc.

If the PC will be *controlling* equipment, you'll want to take steps to
increase reliability.  Drop me e-mail for ideas along those lines.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger                  Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft AB                     uucp :     ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk

"Now with improved warhead!"   -- Bofors Industries ad, Oct 23 _Defense News_