[comp.misc] Lempel-Ziv Implemenation

lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (11/28/89)

Can someone point me to public domain source code for Lempel-Ziv?
The target platform is OS/2.

Thanks, Lar

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (11/30/89)

lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:

>Can someone point me to public domain source code for Lempel-Ziv?
>The target platform is OS/2.

	Look for the source code for Arc V5.1.  The code for LZ
compression and decompression is in there.  This was easy to find about
one year ago and should still be available.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

There is no such thing as a public domain Lempel Ziv Welch.  The algorithm
is patented by Unisys.

Of course, Unisys doesn't seem to persue uses of it outside the hard disk
controller field, but they haven't officially lost the patent yet.

There is some common PD source code for LZW on Unix systems, but I haven't
the faintest idea of what a PD implementation of a patented algorithm means.

bron@bronze.wpd.sgi.com (Bron Campbell Nelson) (12/05/89)

In article <56000@looking.on.ca>, brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
> There is no such thing as a public domain Lempel Ziv Welch.  The algorithm
> is patented by Unisys.

Ummm ... it has always been my understanding that an *algorithm* is not
patentable.  It qualifies essentially as a "law of nature."  What *is*
patentable is the application of the algorithm to a particular job, or
a particular implementation of the algorithm.  Thus, I'm quite willing
to believe that Unisys holds some sort of patent on using Lempel-Ziv
*in a disk controller*, but not a patent on the algorithm itself.

Could some lawyer type clarify this?

--
Bron Campbell Nelson
bron@sgi.com  or possibly  ..!ames!sgi!bron

johnk@opel.uu.net (John Kennedy) (12/05/89)

>Could some lawyer type clarify this?
            ^^^^^^      ^^^^^^^

Baaaaaaahahahahaha

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.il (Ben Pashkoff) (12/26/89)

In article <45686@sgi.sgi.com>, bron@bronze.wpd.sgi.com (Bron Campbell Nelson) w
rites:

--
There is a PD Lempel-Ziv based compression routine in C on almost all the DECUS
SIG tapes.

|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL            |
|                                   BEN@TECHMAX.BITNET                 |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                |
|      VAX/VMS Systems                                                 |
|      Computer Center                                                 |
|      Technion IIT                 Phone:(972)-4-292177               |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000          FAX: (972)-4-221581                |