[comp.misc] negative ion generator and computer

mendrala@paideia.uchicago.edu (Thomas M. Mendrala) (12/22/89)

I just got a Bionaire fresh air machine.  It includes a switchable
negative ion generator. I live in a small dorm room and have a pc.
My question is: 1. What if any effect will the negative ion generator
have on the pc? Could it damage it? 2.  Has anyone had any experiences
with negative ion generators? They are touted to have positive
psychological effects. I would like to hear of any experiences,
positive or negative. I would greatly appreciate any responses. I am
particularly concerned about the possibility (?) that it
may (?) damage my computer.

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) (12/22/89)

mendrala@paideia.uchicago.edu (Thomas M. Mendrala):
> [questions about ion generators and computers]

The negative ion concentration produced by these units is really not enough
to worry about.  I would suggest not putting it *right next* to your computer
and keeping your diskettes away from it, but it's really no more dangerous to
computer equipment than a fridge or vacuum cleaner.  Some models produce what
are considered unacceptable levels of ozone, but that's another issue (and I
don't think current models have that problem anyway).

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
  If Encore endorsed my opinions, they couldn't afford to pay me

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (12/26/89)

In article <6840@tank.uchicago.edu> mendrala@paideia.uchicago.edu (Thomas M. Mendrala) writes:

>I just got a Bionaire fresh air machine.  It includes a switchable
>negative ion generator. I live in a small dorm room and have a pc.
>My question is: 1. What if any effect will the negative ion generator

 My experience with negative ion generators is that everything in the
immediate vicinity of the generator becomes incredibly filthy and caked
with dust. The generator charges dust particles, making them "heavy" and
causing them to cling to the nearest surface. While this makes the air
"cleaner", you should probably keep the generator as far away from the
pc as possible, and throw dust covers over your computer equipment and/or
be prepared to clean it more often than usual.

-ken

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

aaron@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aaron.michael.chesir) (12/26/89)

In article <6840@tank.uchicago.edu>, mendrala@paideia.uchicago.edu (Thomas M. Mendrala) writes:

> I just got a Bionaire fresh air machine.  It includes a switchable
> negative ion generator. I live in a small dorm room and have a pc.
> My question is: 1. What if any effect will the negative ion generator
> have on the pc? Could it damage it? 2.  Has anyone had any experiences
> with negative ion generators?

Hi There, Fellow Netters!

I live in the upper floor of a garden apartment development and had
downstairs neighbors who smoked as though the very act were about to become
illegal. Since the fumes seeped into the stairwell and occaisionally into my
apartment, I bought an air ionizer which I placed at the foot of my front door.
While it did clean up the air a bit, the removed dirt seemed to have been
deposited onto my walls. Literally, my living wall nearest the ionizer
turned from white to brown! Apparently, this is a malady common to all air
ionizers (sometimes called negative ion generators). I don't know how it
will affect your computer, but definitely place the ionizer near a WASHABLE
wall.

Aaron Michael Chesir
1-(201)-949-1530
..att!twitch!aaron

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) (12/26/89)

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod):
> My experience with negative ion generators is that everything in the
> immediate vicinity of the generator becomes incredibly filthy and caked
> with dust.

aaron@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aaron.michael.chesir):
> While it did clean up the air a bit, the removed dirt seemed to have been
> deposited onto my walls.

There are ionizers that generate negative ions and give the base a positive
charge.  DAK sells two versions: a cheap one ($50) that works well for small
areas (this is the one I have next to my ultrasonic humidifier) and a more
expensive one that *alternates* between negative ion production and positive
base charge in a 20-second cycle, giving the ions time to circulate before
being drawn back.  I haven't tried the more expensive unit, and I'm not sure
how they can neutralize the base charge during the ion production part of
the cycle, but that doesn't mean it can't work.

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
  If Encore endorsed my opinions, they couldn't afford to pay me

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (12/28/89)

I am interested in getting a large sized ion generating unit,
electrostatic filter, of the type that installs in the heating
air conditioning ductwork. Units of this type are/were sold
as kits by Heath and some home improvement stores.
My questions are the following:
Do these units generate a great deal of electrical interference
and power line noise, such that they would harm my computer or
affect TV reception?
How effective are the kit units in cleaning up the dust in the air?
I.e. will they save me dusting and vacuuming?
Are there any health risks that outweigh the cleaner air?

Please reply by mail
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-6501