[comp.misc] ultra intelligent machines

raza@cs.hw.ac.uk (Z. Raza Hussain) (01/16/90)

"ultra intelligent machines when they evolve, will keep us on as pets!"

This is a topic i have to research as part of my course work, does
anyone out there on the net have any viewpoints/opinions/beliefs in
this topic ? if so, i would really appreciate it if they would let me
know either by e-mail or through further discussion of this topic on
the net (in the near future, i'm really pushed for time!).

thanks in advance.

Raza Hussain                        janet : raza@uk.ac.hw.cs
computer science,                 arpanet : raza@cs.hw.ac.uk
heriot watt uni., Edinburgh          uucp : ..ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!raza

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (01/17/90)

In article <730@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> raza@cs.hw.ac.uk (Z. Raza Hussain) writes:
>"ultra intelligent machines when they evolve, will keep us on as pets!"
Since this assertion is entirely speculative, and based only on very
loose assumptions about the future of technology, I feel that it is
best explored in the realm of science fiction.  Fred Saberhagen
(I think) started this concept with the _Berzerker_ series, in which
he postulates the existance of a self-replicating group of machines,
built as war robots eons ago by a long-dead race, who may have been
killed off by their own robots.  The objective of this group (race?)
of machines is to wipe out life-kind, who they view as threatening.
The ultimate virus.

For a more recient treatment, check out _Ocean of Night_, _Across the
Sea of Suns_, (title I forget), and _Tides of Light_, by Gregory
Benford (who is a scientist, I believe a physicist), where he examines
the same sceneario in more depth, examining technological and
evolutionary issues in more depth, with less smash-'em action.

>Raza Hussain                        janet : raza@uk.ac.hw.cs
>computer science,                 arpanet : raza@cs.hw.ac.uk
>heriot watt uni., Edinburgh          uucp : ..ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!raza
(S.) Crispin Cowan, CS grad student, University of Waterloo
Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"The most important question when any new computer architecture is
introduced is `So what?'"
	-someone on comp.arch
	(if it was you, let me know & I'll credit it)