[comp.misc] Methods for music encoding?

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (01/15/90)

Are there any standard ways of representing/coding music scores
as computer files?

I've recently come across the term 'Hewlett encoding' in relation
to musical scores - where can I find more info about it?

--
Anders Thulin		ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telelogic Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

There are two documented formats for storing musical scores that I know of:

Electronic Arts/Commodore Amiga IFF (Interchange File Format) SMUS (Simple
Musical Score) format.

International MIDI Association MFF (Midi File Format), which is related
to IFF (somewhat simplified and with alignment restrictions dropped).
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (01/16/90)

In article <J_21AMxds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There are two documented formats for storing musical scores that I know of:
>International MIDI Association MFF (Midi File Format), which is related
>to IFF (somewhat simplified and with alignment restrictions dropped).

Except that MFF only records and timestamps MIDI data, from which it
is presumably an extremely difficult task to derived a score (for
example, you don't have any repeated segments, or most of the
notational symbols).

> _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

In article <1634@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
> In article <J_21AMxds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >There are two documented formats for storing musical scores that I know of:
   [IFF/SMUS, and IMA/MFF] (Midi File Format), which is related
> >to IFF (somewhat simplified and with alignment restrictions dropped).

> Except that MFF only records and timestamps MIDI data, from which it
> is presumably an extremely difficult task to derived a score (for
> example, you don't have any repeated segments, or most of the
> notational symbols).

(with Cockney accent, a-la Monty Python:)

Well, Oi DID say it was simplified, din't Oi?

Actually, SMUS is missing repeats as well. This does hurt your ability
to save and restore scores from SMUS, but it's possible. You do get to
keep notations, key signatures, timing, and so on.

Electronic Arts does have a more extended format which they use in
Deluxe Music Construction Set, but they never saw fit to publish it.
Adding repeats to SMUS shouldn't be too difficult: you basically need
to add a new event type. Talk to Commodore.

Anyway, if you have the ability to read and write MFF, it's a small
jump to reading/writing flat IFF/SMUS.