[comp.misc] Acronyms wanted...

grimlok@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy) (01/17/90)

A friend and I were talking and got to listing computer related acronyms
and what they stand for.  Stuff like

 RAM : random access memory
 ROM : read only memory
 BASIC : beginner's all-purpose symbolic instruction code

etc.

  also listed some initials which don't strictly form acronyms (I think)
such as

  RTFM, BTW, FTP, TCP/IP, etc.

Our quest today is to get a list of as many as possible of both sorts
along with their meanings.

(At one point, I remember there being a Jargon list maintained
somewhere... this would be helpful to get, but I forget where it is, can
anyone point me to it?)

Anyway, to help us out send us two boxtops and your top 10 (or more)
acronyms.
--

'I just couldn't convince the voters that Dukakis was Greek for
"Bubba".' -- Lloyd Benson explaining why the Democrats didn't carry

spotter@eve.wright.edu (Steve Potter) (01/17/90)

In article <7670@hubcap.clemson.edu> grimlok@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy) writes:
>  also listed some initials which don't strictly form acronyms (I think)
>such as

Ah, but they do.... at least as far as the ones I know.

>  RTFM, BTW, FTP, TCP/IP, etc.

BTW: By The Way
FTP: File Transfer Protocol

>(At one point, I remember there being a Jargon list maintained
>somewhere... this would be helpful to get, but I forget where it is, can
>anyone point me to it?)

I believe it is probably accessible through one of those things that
doesn't exactly stand for an acronym, like FTP (anonymous FTP...)

>Anyway, to help us out send us two boxtops and your top 10 (or more)
>acronyms.

Where do you get the box tops?   I don't even know what kind of box.....

More maniacal rantings from the keyboard of the omnipotent
SPotter

                                Hear me today!
                            Listen to me tomorrow!
                           Understand me next week!
             Remember: everything you say may be used in a book.

laz@clutx.clarkson.edu (Lazarus Long,,,) (01/18/90)

From article <7670@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by grimlok@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Percy):

     ^     ^    ^     ^------ Transfer Control Protocol????
     |     |    File Transfer Protocol.
     |     By The Way...
     and My favorite, Read The Fucking Manual.

* Matt Parker / Laz Long   * Be wary of strong drink, it can make you     *
* 11 Lawrence Ave          *    shoot at tax collectors... AND MISS!      *
* Potsdam, NY  13676       *        R.A.H. - The notebooks of Lazarus Long*
*   (315)-265-3763   Laz@clvm.clarkson.edu  parkerm@clutx.clarkson.edu