[comp.misc] meaning of abbreviations

fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) (02/01/90)

In article <4866@convex.convex.com> harper@convex.com (David Harper) writes:

>>When I read the articles I'm very often confrontated with words of wich I dont
>>know the meaning.
>>Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following abbreviations:
>>
>> - PHIGS
>No idea

Programmer's (?) Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard

--
Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/02/90)

In article <1487@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu>, fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) writes:

> --
> Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
> Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |
> Southwest Research Institute          | I    | | "The Martian canals were the
> dfsun1.electro.swri.edu 129.162.160.4  \----/  |  Martians' last ditch effort."

I can dig it.

Jeff Daiell

--
            "Justice, like lightning, should ever appear
               To some men hope - to other men fear."

                            -- Jefferson Pierce

jayk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jay Klippstein) (02/02/90)

}
}>>When I read the articles I'm very often confrontated with words of wich I dont
}>>know the meaning.
}>>Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following abbreviations:
}>>
}>> - PHIGS
}>No idea
}>
}
}Programmer's (?) Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard
}
}

i think it's:

programmer's hierarchal interface to graphic segments

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (02/02/90)

PHIGS - Programmers Heirarchal Interface Graphics Standard.  It's supposed to
	replace GKS but I don't think thats happening.

jim
"Only dead fish go with the flow"