[net.unix-wizards] VAX <-- very fast data link --> Data General: need help

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (11/19/84)

	It appears that in the near future we will be acquiring a
	data-acquisition device which we will need to link in the
	fastest practical way with our existing 750.  The possibility
	exists that the chosen machine will be based on a Data
	General computer.  Inasmuch as I wouldn't know a DG machine
	from Adam (Don't you love these in-jokes?) I appeal to the
	net...

	Is it (really) possible to network a DG machine with our
	VAX?  Has anyone done it?  What hardware is required?
	Does the software exist for bsd 4.2 and whatever DG uses
	for an OS?

	Understand that we are more or less unrestricted as to the
	choice of networking protocol.  In fact it is not clear
	that we require a network per se.  The object is to have
	access to collected data as quickly as possible so as to
	provide feedback to the operator from the VAX.  My favorite
	option is a dual-ported RA**.  Does such a thing exist in
	DG land?

	In short, HELP!!!

George W. Sherouse
Associate Physicist
Division of Radiation Therapy
North Carolina Memorial Hospital
Chapel Hill, NC   27514

(919) 966-1101

<decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!sherouse>

Michael B McIlrath <MBM@MIT-XX.ARPA> (11/21/84)

I have heard that DG is bringing out 4.2 "real soon now",
like its in now in beta test and will be a product in January.
It presumably will support tcp/ip.
-------

leon@mmm.UUCP (Leon Schilmoeller) (11/24/84)

> I have heard that DG is bringing out 4.2 "real soon now",
> like its in now in beta test and will be a product in January.
> It presumably will support tcp/ip.
> -------

Data General is supposed to have BDS 4.2 out in Feb 1985.  In addition
they have announced TCP/IP support across their product like, like
on AOS/VS.  TCP/IP on AOS/VS is supposed to be in BETA TEST yet this
month, or in DEC.  (I know, as we are working on paperwork now to
be a BETA site for TCP/IP on AOS/VS.  We have TCP/IP on BSD4.2, and
under VMS 3.7.  In addition I have to network to 5 DG MV8000 and
MV10000 class machines on a regular basis.  We plan to use the
TCP/IP for this.

Also, per you assumption, yes the BSD 4.2 on DG systems is supposed to
support tcp/ip.

	Leon Schilmoeller
	3M Company
	St. Paul, Mn

kaufman@yale.ARPA (Qux the Barbarian) (11/28/84)

In article <whatever> leon@mmm.UUCP (Leon Schilmoeller) writes:

    Data General is supposed to have BDS 4.2 out in Feb 1985.

Does that stand for Brain Damaged Software?

Qux

P.S. Don't flame at me - we just "upgraded" to 4.2 and I *know*!

Kaufman@Yale.Arpa       Kaufman@YaleCS.Bitnet       ..!decvax!yale!kaufman