[comp.misc] make MONEY fast!!!

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/10/90)

So now we get pyramid schemes/chain letters over the net!  :-(

*REMEMBER* you will get bad luck if you break the chain! :-)

(For those who don't know, these things are *illegal*, and they
also *don't work* as only the people at the top of the list will
ever see any money. If you're number 10 on the list, by the time you
get to 5 the notice would have to be distributed to 111,110 BBS's.
Not too likely. That also says something about the validity of the
10 names currently on the list. That lucky guy at the top of the list
is going to get $1 each from people on 11,111,111,110 BBS's! Hey, this
might be a great way to wipe out the national debt!)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Now, More Than Ever, Standard Disclaimers Apply

zweig@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (02/10/90)

[Totally bogus and illegal pyramid money-making scheme with "this is legal --
 honest!" written all over it deleted.]

I got something like this in the mail, and forwarded it to the Postal
Inspector who is treating it like any other mail fraud.  Notice that
using a BBS and/or Usenet to distribute stuff like this could constitute
wire fraud as well.

I assume this posting was a joke.  But as someone who busts his ass every day
at a real job, I am not laughing at idiots like this bilking other idiots
out of hard-earned dough.

-Johnny Job

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (02/10/90)

I found 4 separate postings by this dweeb in our queue.  The ids I cancelled
on our net were

<2141@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
<2144@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
<2142@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
<2143@ultb.isc.rit.edu>

--
| Execucom and I often have different ideas.  THESE are mine, ok?  Ok.        |
|               dewey@execu.com or uunet!sequoia!dewey                        |

turner@soleast.Solbourne.COM (James Turner) (02/12/90)

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:

>I found 4 separate postings by this dweeb in our queue.  The ids I cancelled
>on our net were

><2141@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
><2144@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
><2142@ultb.isc.rit.edu>
><2143@ultb.isc.rit.edu>

Using the power of the American Telecommunications system, I got the number
for RIT Information Services and hunted down the secretary for the director.
I gave them a call and gave them the name and user ID of the jerk who sent
out the chain letter.  A mesages this morning indicates they have deleted his
account.

* James M. Turner                   *      Great moments in Aviation #4:      *
* System Engineer, Northeast Region * Controller Ray Darr breaks the all time *
* Solbourne Computer, Inc.          *  record when he simultaneously vectors  *
* turner@Soleast.Solbourne.COM      *   94 targets through the New York TCA.  *
* (617) 273-3313                    *  He is relieved from his shift when he  *
* GEnie: SF                         *     orders a seagull to squawk 1200     *

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (02/13/90)

Oh no, not again.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill