[comp.misc] IBM screws RT owners?

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (02/16/90)

   There is no indication that IBM has any intention of
upgrading AIX on the RT to anything approaching the features
of AIX 3.1 on the new Series 6000 machines. There _is_ a lot
of hinting that the RT is destined for history's trashcan.
One excerpt from the Official Announcement:

   "an RT Migration Assistance Program is available to help
    protect current RT system investments. For RT Systems
    purchased between Jan. 1, 1989 and June 30, 1990, IBM,
    for a limited time, is offering migration assistance trade-in
    credit on a one-for-one basis to customers who want to
    migrate from the RT system to a RISC System/6000 POWERStation
    or POWERServer."

  I'd like to talk to the brain-dead IBM marketeer that thought
up this insult. Those customers who supported IBM RTs during the
1985-1988 years are shut-out completely. Of course, they don't mention
what kind of trade-in credit these recent purchasers get.....

   Any IBM employee care to comment?

     ---j

-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet : jason@cs.utexas.edu            | "Toroidal carbohydrate modules?
UUCP     : ...cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  Make mine glazed!"
BIX      : jlevitt                        |            -- Zippy

In article <1133@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>  I'd like to talk to the brain-dead IBM marketeer that thought
>up this insult. Those customers who supported IBM RTs during the
>1985-1988 years are shut-out completely. Of course, they don't mention
>what kind of trade-in credit these recent purchasers get.....

 I can't resist following up my own posting.

 It's admirable of IBM to openly admit they blew it with the
RT. It's unconscionable of them to imply that the _RT customers_
blew it by purchasing the machines!

  In case anyone thinks this is sour grapes, I'd like to point out
that I've never purchased RT hardware.

   --Jason

-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason@cs.utexas.edu         | "The most effective debugging tool is
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  still careful thought, coupled with
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  judiciously placed print statements."