[comp.misc] Have you ever heard of the PC Pursuit BBS?

phil@b11.ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (02/21/90)

In article <31864@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> malcolm@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Malcolm Lui) writes:
>I've recently received some info on a bulletin board
>called PC Pursuit.  According to their sales pitch,
>for $30 a month a subscriber would be provided with
>thirty hours of BBS time on BBS's other than the
>PC Pursuit system during certain select hours
>(6 pm - 7 am weekdays, all day weekends and holidays)
>
>The PC Pursuit system somehow allows you to log onto
>to other BBSs without incurring any additional costs.
>(i.e., phone charges)
>
>Is this for real?  It sounds too good to be true.
>Have you ever heard of or used this system before?

PC Pursuit is a telephone network service of Telenet (Sprint) Corp.  They
originally charge a flat fee for unlimited access during their off-hour
period (6 PM-7 AM weekdays, all day weekends and holidays).  The services
allows you to dial an access number then connect to a supported target city.
If you are lucky the access is a local exchange otherwise you have to pay
pay long distance charges.  The supported cities have grown over the last few
years but are not unlimited.

Your hourly meter begins when you initiate an access.  Unfortunately for you
the traffic is very heavy, so you end up being charged time for listening to
a busy tone a large amount of the time.

I was a subscriber to PCP for about a 1 1/2 years until they began the time
limit policy.  Being unwilling to pay for a busy signal I dropped the service.
It only took Telenet four months to stop billing me.  The cost of direct
calling has not been significantly larger than the 30 hours time limit would
have imposed.

You must decide for yourself what you are willing to pay for.

--
Philip E. Johnson   Nobodys opinions           UUCP: uunet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil

ckp@cup.portal.com (Christine K Paustian) (02/22/90)

Actually - PC Pursuit does not charge for calls of less than 1 minute
duration - as I understand it, this grace period was instituted precisely
to provide users with a 'buffer zone' as a result of busies.

The minimum billable call time for a connect of over one minute is two
minutes.

Christine Paustian