[comp.misc] Language Naming Contest

ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) (02/09/90)

A number of people where I work feel that a naming contest is in order
for the next, presumably object oriented version of the Ada programming
language.  The name "Add 1 to Cobol" has been proposed for the OO
version of Cobol, which will presumably be out and in use long before
the new Ada version, and it strikes me as a kind of a shame for
anything, much less the new, modern, foreward-looking answer to all of
mankind's computing needs, to be thus outdone by the second oldest
language out there.

While the name "Ada-9x" is understandable in a way ("Watch the
government spend 9 times as much time and money and take nine times as
long for everything they ever do while the rest of the world
standardizes on C and C++"), I feel that Ada Lovelace, whore though ever
she might have been, never really did anything to deserve having a
government programming language named after her.

I would suggest that, if a proper name is still wanted for the language,
that the name be chosen as that of some person or organization most
notable for swindling his/her/its government;  since the names "Wang"
and "Unisys" are already taken, I would suggest the name "Potempkin".
Any other ideas?

Ted Holden
HTE

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerrold Heyman) (02/10/90)

Along the same lines as Ted Holden's append, how about Quisling?

For those of you who don't what a quisling is, Webster's defines it as:

      a noun.  A Norwegian (sp?) collaborator with the Nazi's.
      synonym: traitor

jerry heyman

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (02/12/90)

In article <19359@grebyn.com>, ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
> A number of people where I work feel that a naming contest is in order
> for the next, presumably object oriented version of the Ada programming

> that the name be chosen as that of some person or organization most
> notable for swindling his/her/its government;  since the names "Wang"
> and "Unisys" are already taken, I would suggest the name "Potempkin".
> Any other ideas?

Ted, didn't Potempkin construct those villages on *behalf* of his
government, to fool *foreign* visitors?  I'm certainly not condoning
his actions - just trying to set things straight (if, that is, my
memory is correct).  In fact, didn't the Russians name a warship
after him?  Or was that just in a movie?

--

                     Thank you for not coercing.

alexc@agora.UUCP (Alex Chan) (02/12/90)

In article <19359@grebyn.com> ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
>and "Unisys" are already taken, I would suggest the name "Potempkin".
>Any other ideas?

Yes, how about the name /dev/null sounds. /* that is the device that
					     the compiler should
					     exits. -- The black hole
						       Theory --
					   */

In article <1471@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@awdprime.austin.ibm.com.UUCP (Jerrold Heyman) writes:
> Along the same lines as Ted Holden's append, how about Quisling?

Not obscure enough. What was the guy's first name? Vidkun? How about that?
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) (02/13/90)

In article <IOP10N4xds8@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
>Ted, didn't Potempkin construct those villages on *behalf* of his
>government, to fool *foreign* visitors?  I'm certainly not condoning
>his actions - just trying to set things straight (if, that is, my
>memory is correct).  In fact, didn't the Russians name a warship
>after him?  Or was that just in a movie?
>                     Thank you for not coercing.

Potempkin was the lover of Catherine the Great, of Russia.  She had him
take tour of the Ukraine, to sort of "scope it out". (It was a new conquest.)
Well, the local's would fix up the villeges that he was to visit, and
in fact they fooled him.

This is all from memory, but I think it's right.

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob Debula) (02/13/90)

In article <IOP10N4xds8@ficc.uu.net>, jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

> Ted, didn't Potempkin construct those villages on *behalf* of his
> government, to fool *foreign* visitors?  I'm certainly not condoning
> his actions - just trying to set things straight (if, that is, my
> memory is correct).  In fact, didn't the Russians name a warship
> after him?  Or was that just in a movie?

If I remember right there was a Russian battleship named Potemkin.  It
became famous because of a mutiny aboard.

Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!

baggins@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (William Segall) (02/22/90)

After Lisp, must surely come Stutter.

	Bill.

efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim) (02/23/90)

My favorite new language is UNADA (pronounced you'n ada).

This language combines all of the terseness of Unix with all of
the verbosity of ADA.  In other words, we have great big long syntactical
structures which are criptic.  Example:
W_a_g_t_d_a_f_l_n  /* We are going to do a for loop now  */

This language also has many other such "features".  However, the committee
(is there any other way to design a camel) is always looking for more.
I have appointed Will Bralick chairman of the Pumiceman committee.  Send
him your dribble.

erik

Erik J Fretheim
efrethei@afit.af.mil			AFIT/ENA Box 4151 (ATTN: CPT FRETHEIM)
(513)255-5276 AVN785-5276 		WPAFB, OH 45431  USA