[comp.misc] Speech synthesizers

gideony@microsoft.UUCP (Gideon YUVAL) (02/23/90)

Which text-to-speech synthesizers are on the off-the-shelf
market? I would be grtateful for info: company names, price-ranges,
quality ...

Thanks

--
Gideon Yuval, gideony@microsof.UUCP, 206-882-8080 (fax:206-883-8101;TWX:160520)

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (02/23/90)

In article <51040@microsoft.UUCP> gideony@microsoft.UUCP (Gideon YUVAL) writes:
>Which text-to-speech synthesizers are on the off-the-shelf
>market? I would be grtateful for info: company names, price-ranges,
>quality ...
>
>Thanks
>
>--
>Gideon Yuval, gideony@microsof.UUCP, 206-882-8080 (fax:206-883-8101;TWX:160520)

The best speech from text synthesizer I have tried is the Amiga.  For $600 you
get a decent computer sounding voice, plus it is attached to a multi-tasking
(despite what Bill Gates says it works in less that .5K) computer.
For a little bit more, you can even have an MS-DOS capable (fully compatible)
computer that is also an Amiga that can speak both text on the Amiga side and
text on the MS-DOS side as well.