[comp.misc] RS-232 Question - Speed vs Length

stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) (02/22/90)

How do I calculate maximum effective cable length for a given baud rate?

Also, is there a function to provide error rates (eg. 2% error) for the
given table?

       Length
          10    20    30    40    50    60    70    80    90   100
 Baud  +--------------------------------------------------------------

  300  |

 1200  |

 2400  |

 9600  |

19200  |

38400  |
       +--------------------------------------------------------------

--
 jss - Jon S. Stumpf

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/23/90)

> a function to provide error rates (eg. 2% error) for the given table?

>          10    20    30    40    50    60    70    80    90   100
> [...]
> 9600

	Assuming your lengths are in feet, you had better extend the table
a lot to the right.  We have runs of up to about 250 feet of Belden 8723
(shielded 24 (22?) gauge twisted pair) which we run at 9600 with, as far as
I can tell, 0% error rate with no special line drivers.  I suspect that if
you are willing to put up with a 2% error rate (which sounds pretty drastic
to me) you could probably get many hundreds of feet at 9600, if you use the
right kind of wire.  With line drivers, you should be able to get thousands
of feet, but that's not RS-232 any more.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (02/23/90)

In article <608@gtenmc.UUCP> stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) writes:

>Also, is there a function to provide error rates (eg. 2% error) for the
>given table?
>
>       Length
>          10    20    30    40    50    60    70    80    90   100
> Baud  +--------------------------------------------------------------
>  300  |
> 1200  |
>19200  |
>38400  |
>       +--------------------------------------------------------------

The standard is quite clear; up to 15 feet and 20 kilobaud, there should
be zero errors.  Beyond that, you're on your own.

In order to meet the standard, any IMPLEMENTATION has to allow some
safety margin.  How much is up to the designer.  Most existing commercial
interface chips build in a lot of margin.  But it is generally margin,
not an advertised feature.  So.....  Experiment with your
favorite impementation, then TAKE SOME DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY.  Decide,
on the basis of your tests, how much you want to cut the safety margin
the designer built in.

Seriously, unless the supplier of your implementation advertises specs
other than "RS-232 interface", you can't get any more specific.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|