[comp.misc] open this package and you're stuck with it

[redirect this thread to comp.misc]

In article <10760@saturn.ucsc.edu> daniel@saturn.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:
> Limiting software to a particular period of time or number of
> executions appears difficult, especially on PCs, but even on
> workstations.

A particular number of executions, I can believe. But a particular period
of time is no big deal. Everything you send through the mail or buy in a
store is timestamped (either via the cancellation or on your receipt), so
allowing people a 30 or so day trial period seems fairly easy. Other goods
are sold that way.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (02/16/90)

D'ya ever get the impression that the inventor of a HOME SHRINKWRAP MACHINE
would become an overnight millionaire?  :-)

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/20/90)

In article <9427@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Bill Gieske) writes:
>What prevents me from turning my clock back to withing the 30-day window of
>use anytime I want to use the software, thus "extending" my use indefinitely.

I've seen silicon compilers for mainframes liscenced on a month-to-month
basis. It's a real pain to switch clocks around on a mainframe that
several people are using.

If you've got an accounting application (or anything else, like Nag, that
depends on the dates being correct) then this won't work.  Datestamps
are critical for Make to work, so you probably wouldn't want
to play around like this for compilers.

Of course, thinkgs like paint programs can't be properly protected just
by switching the dates.
				   -- Darren

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (02/22/90)

In article <VUV1H6Fxds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> No, you get software on a trial basis. If you don't like it, send it back
> within 30 days. No traps, or copy protection.

I recently purchased a compiler from a mail order company which
advertised a 30 day money back return period.  The only catch was
that the package had to be returned in re-sellable condition.  The
agreement clearly stated that in order to be re-sellable the seal on
the diskette package had to be unbroken.  Great, I've got 30 days to
evaluate the compiler but I can't even look at the disks much less
run anything.  I didn't even bother to continue to read to see if I
was allowed to break the shrinkwrap on the manuals.

Anyway, I installed the compiler, it works as advertised, I'm happy
with it and will keep it.  FYI I was able to peel off the sticker
"sealing" the disk box without tearing it so I guess I could have
returned it if it had turned out to be a dog.

>  _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
> /      \
> \_.--._/ Xenix Support -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!
>       v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (02/24/90)

In article <VUV1H6Fxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <9427@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> wg@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Bill Gieske) writes:
>> In article <H7S1666xds13@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>> What prevents me from turning my clock back to withing the 30-day window of
>> use anytime I want to use the software, thus "extending" my use indefinitely.
>
>Nothing, presuming you're a pirate anyway. But if that's the case you'd
>probably have gotten a cracked copy from your buddy down the hall anyway,
>and never taken the risk of letting a software publisher get your name.

Agreed, Peter, but hopefully his system will have a chron daemon on it that
will punish him SERIOUSLY for dinking with the system date, and making chron
crazy.

--
David Harrington		                      internet: dgh@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation		                ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh

mlewis@unocss..unl.edu (Local Submission) (02/25/90)

Don't need no stinking attributions.  Some time ago I was the system
manager for the administrative computer at this university, and we
decided to standardise our spreadsheet offerings among the various
minis and micros to 20/20, which is an OUTSTANDING product.  However,
they were pretty new at the time, and there was a glitch in their
distribution: In the summer  of 1985, 60 days after their first major
shipments (or so) every copy of 2020 in the world died.  They had
distributed "demo copies" out, all with  an expiration date in them.
As it happened, I was out of town when it happened.

Some time later, I had a chance to "test" WordPerfect on another
computer of the same variety (Data General), which had a 60-day
expiration in it.  It lasted almost 80 days.  Somebody else put it
very succintly:  for business machines, you CAN'T muck with the
system date.  If no other reason, the auditors get mightliy perturbed.

Marc

Na khuya mne ehto gavno?              |  Internet: cs057@zeus.unl.edu
                   preferred machine->|  UUCP:     uunet!btni!unocss!mlewis