[comp.misc] What's the best Calculator around?

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) (02/22/90)

	I am looking into buying a Hi-Tech, Super-Dooper,
Ultra-Cool-Neeto, Programmable/Graphing calculator...  The three models
I'm currently looking at (in no particular order) are the Sharp EL-5200,
the Casio FX-8000G, and the Hewlett-Packard HP-28s.  I want to know if
anyone has any opinions and/or recommendations for any of these.
	The Hewlett-Packard (which I've seen) is the most expensive, but
it has the smallest (physically) display screen.  The Sharp is the
cheapest.
	Some specific things, besides general opinion, that I want to
know are:

1)	What are the resolutions (pixels) of each of these calculators?

2)	What are the memory capacities, and function capabilities of
each of these calculators?

3)	What are the graphing capabilities (can it pan, zoom, slice,
dice, etc.)?

4)	What are the programming features?

5)	What problems does it have (size, weight, battery limits,
exploding keys, etc.)?

6)	Is there anything else better?

I'm looking to buy the one with the best functionality/cost ratio
(although I would have lots of fun fooling around with the HP's
programming, so that does give it a plus).

If you mail me, I will summarize the responses (or you can just post
your opinion).  Thanx in advance.

INTERNET: chad@slugmail.ucsc.edu      Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer->AmigaManiac++

	 ------======   "Life is a Strange Attractor."   ======-------

jln@portia.Stanford.EDU (Jared Nedzel) (02/27/90)

In article <6816@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) writes:
}
}	I am looking into buying a Hi-Tech, Super-Dooper,
}Ultra-Cool-Neeto, Programmable/Graphing calculator...  The three models
}I'm currently looking at (in no particular order) are the Sharp EL-5200,
}the Casio FX-8000G, and the Hewlett-Packard HP-28s.  I want to know if
}anyone has any opinions and/or recommendations for any of these.
}	The Hewlett-Packard (which I've seen) is the most expensive, but
}it has the smallest (physically) display screen.  The Sharp is the
}cheapest.

Another thing to consider is the basic notation of the calculator. Most
calculators use an algebraic notation; that is, if you want to calculate
7 + 3, you type 7, then +, then 3, then =. Hewlett-Packard calculators
use RPN (reverse polish notation), in which you type 7, enter, 3, +.
The HP thus gives you a stack which you operate on. The notation is sort
of a post-fix notation (i.e., the "opposite" of Lisp infix notation).

A discussion of which notation is better often leads to religious wars
(complete with excommunication). I'm an RPN believer, so an algebraic
notation calculator quickly reduces me to a blithering idiot. Algebraic
devotees often seem to find RPN incomprehensible. I suggest you make
a choice and stick with it.

Another important issue is the ergonomic design of the calculator. I've
had three HPs: HP-65, HP-41c, HP-12c. I have found the '65 and '41 to
have wonderful buttons: just the right combination of travel, click,
resistance (the '12c wasn't quite as nice). You know when you've
pressed a button on an HP. (I seem to recall that HP spent over $1M
designing the buttons circa '78, when a million was really a million.)

I'm not familiar with the other calculators in your list, but it has
generally been my impression that no other company had matched HPs
for feel. They also don't match HP for price :-(. But if you use your
calculator a lot, it might be worth it for you.

}INTERNET: chad@slugmail.ucsc.edu      Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer-}AmigaManiac++

--
Jared L. Nedzel
e-mail: nedzel@cive.stanford.edu

frankw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Frank Wales) (02/27/90)

This is a *long* article with many opinions from nearly two decades
of using calculators for work and play.  It doesn't try to answer the
questions asked so much as give more general advice about choosing the
best calculator for your needs.  If you just want columns of numbers,
lined up for easy comparison shopping, read another article.

[Note: Ignore the address -- I am not an HP employee.]

In some article chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) writes:
>	I am looking into buying a Hi-Tech, Super-Dooper,
>Ultra-Cool-Neeto, Programmable/Graphing calculator...

What do you actually want it for?
	a) getting the job done
	b) playing with
	c) impressing people who know about calculators
	d) impressing people who don't know about calculators

You can choose any or all of these, but where you place the emphasis has
a significant effect on which machine you should buy.  If you place the
emphasis on a), buy Hewlett-Packard.  If you place it on b), buy
Hewlett-Packard.  If you place it on c), you *must* buy Hewlett-Packard.
If you place it on d), who cares?

>The three models I'm currently looking at (in no particular order) are
>the Sharp EL-5200, the Casio FX-8000G, and the Hewlett-Packard HP-28s.
>I want to know if anyone has any opinions and/or recommendations for any
>of these.

Well ...

>	The Hewlett-Packard (which I've seen) is the most expensive, but
>it has the smallest (physically) display screen.

Putting a bigger display on a calculator is like putting a bigger
dashboard in a car.  It's easy for the maker to do, but hard to make
good use of.  It has a side-effect that the marketing types then
have BIGGER NUMBERS to put in their brochures, in the hope that
potential buyers will be more interested in the number of PIXELS
(technical term there) than in whether the machine actually gets
the right answers.  Other than for use in plotting neat curves,
most big display calculators just use the bigger display like a
garbage dump for calculations, leaving them lying around in the
slight hope that they may be useful again in the near future, a bit
like old TV actors at the Academy Awards.  Needless to say, the HP
machines are an exception here.

Or look at the keyboards:  too many top-end machines look like
the aftermath of a sign-writer's booze-up, with 400 billion ennsy-weensy
legends, and more modes than you've had hot dinners.  And you can bet
that *somewhere* in there is a set of summation values to remain
backwards-compatible (sic) with the machines they released in the 1970s.
No doubt some people like this kind of keyboard clutter, but I'm not
among them.

In general, calculators don't have enough keys, but the solutions which
HP have come up with (redefinable keyboards, menus, softkeys) are harder
to implement than just MORE COLOURS and MORE SHIFTS (2nd, 3rd, INV, Alt,
ALPHA, Mode, Shift, Alg, Op, Gag, Barf) because they represent a
slightly different approach to the problem.  Instead of saying:  "How
can we get more stuff on the keyboard?"  they say:  "How can we help the
User *manage* the functions we put at his or her disposal?"

Having said that, in the numbers department, the HP-28S has MORE
KEYS than the competition (although only one measly shift key).

>	Some specific things, besides general opinion, that I want to
>know are:

>1)	What are the resolutions (pixels) of each of these calculators?

As I hope I've shown, the use a machine makes of its display is far more
important that the number of dots in it.  And don't succumb to the
false logic that:

	because: "it has a bigger display, therefore it *can* do everything
		  a machine with a smaller display can"

	this implies that: "it *must* do everything a machine with a smaller
			    display can"

	or (even worse): "it does everything *better* than machine with a
			  smaller display"

>2)	What are the memory capacities, and function capabilities of
each of these calculators?

Memory is probably one of the most important fundamental features
concerning a choice of calculators; another is battery life.  Speed
is a third.  Calculators *never* have enough memory, they rarely
run fast enough, and they require to be fed just too often.  The
ideal machine remembers everything, answers immediately
and runs off the static electricity in your underwear.  This machine
doesn't exist, and never will, but manufacturers are striving to
make you think that they have the next best thing.

Calculator makers don't make it easy for you to decide how much
useable memory a machine has, because they speak interchangably
about bytes, steps, lines, registers, and other things.  Also,
how profligate a particular machine is in storing things like program
lines can have a big effect on the meaning of any quoted figures.
You can't even trust things like how many steps can be fitted into
memory, because some machines have a richer selection of programming
constructs than others, and so the "same" problem might use up
twice as many steps/bytes/lines on one machine than another.

Certain things you can usually assume are that: within a product
line, memory consumption will be similar; across all calculators
in this area, the amount of memory used to store numbers will be
the same (usually 8 bytes these days); the more flexible the
management of memory is in the machine, the less likely you are
to hit a memory wall.

For example, being able to trade off program space for data storage is
simple and common these days; if a machine can't to it, it's in the
calculator dark ages.  Having a lot of flexibility here is an indication
that the people who designed the machine *cared* about making the best
use of the feeble amount of memory they decided to lumber you with --
this is a good sign.  You should be wary of machines whose descriptions say:

	"allows up to 10 programs in the machine at once"

[why an explicit limit?  [especially if the machine has a pile of
 memory]]

	"allows storage of up to 43 numbers at once"

[why an explicit limit?  [and why such a weird number?]]

	"9 return levels, 6 flags, 18 levels of parentheses"

[why explicit limits?  [sound familiar yet?]]

	"has 3,481 bytes of memory..."

[they're rooting around, trying to find every last byte in there]

	"...of which 2,971 are available to the user"

[uh-oh, they're *really* desperate, and they're hoping you'll compare
 machines using the bigger number, which is why they put it in the
 brochure first]

	"5 conditional tests, 4 flag operations,
	 3 types of label, 2 data classes and a partridge
	 in a pear tree"

[ignore the numbers of things: how many ways it can do something
 is less important that whether it can do it at all -- look for
 capability first, quantity second]

Speed is something very dear to the hearts of calculator weenies:
"my Sharsio DX1234 can run an empty loop 17.222% faster than your
TP-99 II."  Very good.  But does get the *right* *answer* 17.222%
faster, or does it take just as long to compute trig, stats and
other complicated stuff?  Try using this loop to find the cosine
of 482 degrees (what?  it's not negative?), find 169! (what? it
doesn't go that high?), or raise -2.5 to the power of -4.5 (what? it
doesn't return complex results?  how about -2.5^(-4)? no?).

And find out how consistent the calculators are.  Try this:
	+ set the machine to display the maximum precision it can
	+ type in 2
	+ take the square root, and write down the answer as it
	  appears in the display (1.4142...)
	+ square that again, and subtract 2 from it  --> answer A
	+ type in the number you wrote down, square that, and
	  subtract 2 from it  --> answer B

On many calculators, A is not the same as B.  This is because
many calculators *hide* things from you (so-called guard digits).
You can find them out, but you have to do something awkward like
subtracting the contents of the display from the number in the
display, and seeing if there's anything else left over.  Most
calculations you'll ever perform don't require anything like the
precision used by the average calculator, and so a second thing,
consistency of operation, becomes more important (if only because
it's noticeable, like in the example above).  If you believe that
consistency is more important that unnecessary accuracy, you'll be
pleased with an HP machine.

Battery life relates to power consumption and the number of batteries
in the machine.  These days, calculators consume power even when
they're "off"; look for a statement about battery life which tells
you how long you'll go between changing batteries, of course.  But
also, find out how much warning the calculator gives you of failing
batteries -- a good machine gives you days or weeks of warning, not
hours or minutes.  And look in the manual at the section on changing the
batteries (it does have one, doesn't it?) to see if they tell you how long
you can take to change them *without* losing the memory of the machine;
you shouldn't need the dexterity of a plastic surgeon and the limbs
of an octopus to do it in time.

>3)	What are the graphing capabilities (can it pan, zoom, slice,
>dice, etc.)?

What, you want to run X on it?

>4)	What are the programming features?

Can you *name* things, like programs and variables, instead of just
giving them numbers?  Can it stand recursion?  Can you write programs
which behave like the built-in functions, or are there parts of the
machine's obvious functionality forbidden to you?  Many makers of
an up-market machine will shovel some semi-extended BASIC into it,
crippling it at birth.  Regardless of their merits elsewhere, BASIC
and its siblings were never designed as the basis for such machines.

The programming language of any machine should act as a logical extension
of the keyboard calculation mode, and should not be some orthogonal wart
grafted on the side (sick).  So the choice of calculation logic
system dictates fundamental aspects of the rest of the machine's behaviour.

There are two choices of logic system these days in the
more-than-four-function calculator world:  RPN (made by HP), and
EverythingElse, also loosely known as "algebraic logic", or "The Wrong
Choice".  RPN is simple, consistent, predictable, allows easy recovery
from errors, and is confidence-building.  So-called algebraic systems
are rarely any of these.  And chances are, you use RPN all the time
anyway, but didn't notice.  Try the following logic system taste-test:

	Q if you press the wrong key by mistake, can you just cancel
	  the effects of that key, or is the calculation you were
	  working on trashed?
	A if it is, you're not using an RPN machine

	Q when you solve a complicated problem, does your calculator
	  display the intermediate results as you go along, giving you
	  confidence about the progress of the calculation, or does
	  it keep you in suspense until you press the '=' key, and
	  then *WHAM* you get surprised by a funny-looking number?
	A if you *are* surprised, you're not using an RPN machine

	Q if you're typing in a calculation on the fly, and discover
	  that you've got the intermediate results in the wrong
	  order, can you change the order without aborting the
	  calculation?
	A if you can't, you're not using an RPN machine

	Q how do you work out sin(35) on your machine?
	A if you answered "type in 35, then press the SIN key"
	  you're using RPN, regardless of what the maker of
	  the machine says you're using

It was once argued that algebraic machines were better if the entire
calculation was known ahead of time, the "Enter it as you would write
it down" school of thought.  The annoying corollary "Type it in
perfectly or woe betide you and your results" aside, how many machines
accept things *as*you*write*them*down*?  I don't happen to write
things down full of parentheses or multiplication and division
symbols, nor do I write references to log or trig functions like a
programming language would require me to.  And what if I start bringing
calculus or summations in?

Like it or not, all non-trivial calculations involve some translation
from MyWayOfDoingIt to TheCalculator'sWayOfDoingIt.  Having a way of
reinforcing the translation process by being able to see the calculation
proceed in a direction I'm happy with, and being able to recover from
keying and other entry errors without having to start again are very
important to me, and if they are important to you, RPN is The Right Choice.

>5)	What problems does it have (size, weight, battery limits,
>exploding keys, etc.)?

Can you carry it around, or will it be tied to a desk?  Can you buy the
batteries for it everywhere you like to buy batteries, or must you
negotiate with some light bulb salesman long-distance?  Does it seem
durable, or are you happy with the risk that if you sit on it, drop it
or leave it in checked-in luggage, you'll be buying another one
tomorrow?  Can you read the display in unhelpful lighting situations
(like too many stray reflections)?  Does the keyboard *feel* good under
your fingers, or are the buttons tacky-looking or wobbly rubber with
flaky printing (go ahead, scrape a keytop)?  Do you get a case with it,
or is the box it comes in the case?  Do you get a comprehensive,
comprehensible manual, and maybe a pocket guide thrown in, or just a
wadge of dense prose with no index?  Is there a customer support number
in the manual that you can call for help or advice?  Can you buy books
with potted answers to common problems, or are you on your own?

>I'm looking to buy the one with the best functionality/cost ratio
>(although I would have lots of fun fooling around with the HP's
>programming, so that does give it a plus).

The ultimate goal here is to get a machine that you won't regret having
bought in a year's time.  For my money, there is nothing better than
an HP RPN machine.  I hope that this article is of use in helping you
to see why I believe that, and in deciding whether you should believe it too.

>6)	Is there anything else better?

Perhaps one of the more interesting things to note is that
comp.sys.handhelds is drowned out by HP-28S Users exchanging
programs, tips and information.  Why should this be?  The
following scenarios present themselves:

	1) the owners of these machines like them, enjoy using them,
	   and want to share their enjoyment with the world
	2) the friends of HP run around getting people to post things
	   about HP calculators, to give the impression of 1)
	3) the machines are so damn lousy that people desperately
	   need help in using them, since they can't ever find another
	   sucker to buy them second-hand
	4) the enemies of HP run around getting people to post things
	   about HP calculators, to give the impression of 3)

To resolve this question, read the newsgroup; my money's on 1).
--
Frank Wales, Guest of HP Corvallis, [frank@zen.co.uk||frankw@hpcvdq.cv.hp.com]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., LEEDS, England, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/27/90)

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) writes:

|	I am looking into buying a Hi-Tech, Super-Dooper,
|Ultra-Cool-Neeto, Programmable/Graphing calculator...

Right now it is the HP28s. See comp.sys.handhelds for some sample programs.
This calculator can do more than you can ask of it.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean