[comp.misc] Rules prohibiting "games" and screwing around.

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (03/07/90)

This article probably doesn't belong here.  Followups to comp.misc for
lack of a better place....

In article <11581@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> taplin@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (Brad Taplin) writes:
>One question, almost entirely off the "subject":
>
>	NO GAMES?!

  No games.  That's a rule I didn't make; I would have allowed them
under low system loads, at least.  The systems were running near
capacity as it was when assignments were due (a Sun-3/280 slows down
quite a bit when there are 50 users on, even after tuning).

>If we the local hackers at St. Olaf weren't allowed to play games [ ... ]

  When I was "growing up" in CS at River Falls, we had games which
were available weekend at night.  Most of our fun, though, was writing
utilities and stuff like that; we had a "user contributed library" of
software which students had written, and some of us wrote systems
software as well....

  Students who wrote their own games, though, could play them any
time, pretty much.  We had a number of those (ranging from go-moku to
a quite fancy multi-player star trek game).

>In fact, our system manager encourages us to try and break system security
>and screw things up [ ... ]

  Under VMS, that's great--my system manager at River Falls did the
same.  Under SunOS, there are enough security holes and bugs that it's
just annoying.  I tended to come down hard on students who purposely
tried to screw up the systems.

| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |