[comp.misc] S E Y M O U R C R A Y ---- Wher

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (03/16/90)

Speaking of Seymour Cray, has anyone viewed the 72-minute ACM
videotape of a Cray lecture (presumably from the recent supercomputer
conference), for sale from ACM for about $35 (it was advertised in a
recent ACM mailing of ~100 business reply-mail cards)?  Is it worth
the bucks?

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (03/19/90)

In article <79700032@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>has anyone viewed the 72-minute ACM
>videotape of a Cray lecture (presumably from the recent supercomputer
>conference), for sale from ACM for about $35 (it was advertised in a
>recent ACM mailing of ~100 business reply-mail cards)?  Is it worth
>the bucks?

That depends.  I've seen it, and the sound has some really bad problems in
places.  His talk doesn't give a whole lot of meat, but it's got some
interesting (and sometimes amusing) stories in it, and some pretty neat
graphs and pictures.

As to whether it's worth it:  well, I'm biased.  Seymour is *god*, you see,
so, of course, *I* think it's worth it.  If you're one of those heathens who
only think that he's a brilliant man, then it may not be.

--

Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."