[comp.misc] grep

Has anyone else had the sudden urge, while scanning a printed document, to
say, "oh heck, I'll never find it this way, I'll just grep for it", only
to realize that you don't have the document on-line?
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

Has anyone else had the sudden urge, while searching through a printed
document for something you read earlier, to say, "oh heck, I'll never

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) (03/01/90)

In article <NELSON.90Feb27160753@image.clarkson.edu>, (Russ Nelson) writes:
:
: Has anyone else had the sudden urge, while scanning a printed document, to
: say, "oh heck, I'll never find it this way, I'll just grep for it", only
: to realize that you don't have the document on-line?
:

Well, yes I have a matter of fact, and one neeto-keen feature that
our new Solbourne 4/600 fileserver has, is a command called 'lookup',
which helps you find documentation references by keyword.

Example:

$ lookup suntools

file, suntools:
	 binder: Beginner's Guides
         tab:    SunView 1 Beginner's Guide, page 8-4

suntools file:
	 binder: Beginner's Guides
	 tab:    SunView 1 Beginner's Guide, page 8-4

sysdiag, Under suntools:
	 binder: Administration Guides
	 tab:    System Diagnostics Manual, page 2-1

Pretty cool, huh!

--
Ray E. Saddler III                 UseNet            ___ ___ ___ ___     ___
CAD System/Network Admin  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd  /__//  //__  /  /\ //  _

mikej@lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) (03/01/90)

In article <NELSON.90Feb27165217@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Has anyone else had the sudden urge, while searching through a printed
>document for something you read earlier, to say, "oh heck, I'll never
>find it this way, I'll just grep for it", only to realize that you
>don't have the document on-line?

Yeah, I hate when THAT happens.

--
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej@lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej

david@ics.ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (03/02/90)

I saw IBM's new Powerstation 6000/520 yesterday, and the salesman told
me that IBM is distributing documention that includes only a thin booklet
on setting up the system and a 600MB-capacity CD which contains hypermedia
(audio, text, visuals) documentation. IBM is heavily pushing people to use
the on-line documentation (primarily by making printed docs prohibitively
expensive).

David B. Lewis  david@ics.com  david%ics.UUCP@bu.edu  ...!uunet!ics.com!david

"Some people are born great, others have greatness thrust upon them, and others
get greatness as a graduation present." - Robin Williams on current politicians

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar1.163701.9513@ICS.COM> david@ics.ics.COM (David B. Lewis) writes:
>IBM is heavily pushing people to use
>the on-line documentation (primarily by making printed docs prohibitively
>expensive).

Does this mean they're going to make X Windows work?
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
     {alberta,decwrl}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                     UREP: Peru in disguise?

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (03/06/90)

From article <1736@aurora.AthabascaU.CA>, by lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg):
-> In article <1990Mar1.163701.9513@ICS.COM> david@ics.ics.COM (David B. Lewis) writes:
->>IBM is heavily pushing people to use
->>the on-line documentation (primarily by making printed docs prohibitively
->>expensive).
->
-> Does this mean they're going to make X Windows work?
-> --
-> Lyndon Nerenberg

	Presumably X windows will work on the X station eventually it
seems to work on the 320 right now. At least IBM gives you a choice of
hardcopy or on line man pages. Try to find the on line man pages from AT&T
(at any cost).

Geoff Coleman

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (03/16/90)

marc@stingray..austin.ibm.com (Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22) writes:

>VRM is merged into the kernel.

The kernel is a VRM.  Think about it.

What value has IBM added with its?

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
The Philip Morris Companies, Inc: without question the strongest

drake@sd2.almaden.ibm.com (Sam Drake) (03/17/90)

In article <794@dgis.dtic.dla.mil> jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:

>What value has IBM added with its [kernel]?

The AIX 3 kernel is:

o  Pageable (most of the kernel doesn't hog up real memory when not in use)
o  Pre-emptable (device drivers and kernel routines can be interrupted by
   higher priority tasks and interrupts, allowing a more responsive system)
o  Has dynamically definable/deletable/reconfigurable device drivers
   (no kernel rebuilds)
o  Has dynamically definable/deletable kernel extensions (you can add
   new system calls to the kernel as the system runs without a kernel
   rebuild)
o  Improved realtime capabilities (due to the pre-emptable kernel etc)
o  Etc.

Opinions are my own.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/21/90)

In article <1762@awdprime.UUCP> marc@stingray..austin.ibm.com (Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22) writes:
>AIX Version 3 is still in development.
>DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.

Interesting.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?  A: One day at a time.