[comp.misc] S E Y M O U R C R A Y ---- Where is he ?????

xxremak@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (David A. Remaklus) (03/15/90)

In article <1405@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> cs86eew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Eoin Woods) writes:
>In article <863@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>
>>I just want to know what he is doing.  I heard that he has quit his job
>>with Cray computers and that the stock prices have dropped about $6.00.
>>How are you, Seymour, if you are reading this.
>>
>I believe that Seymour Cray came to an agreement with Cray Research that he
>would leave the company to develop his ideas for the Cray III machine. His
>new company is called Cray something too - I can't remember what the something
>is at the moment.
>
>Anyone (at Cray Reseach for example) know the details ?
>
>Eoin.

Seymour left CRAY Research to pursue the CRAY-3 in a new company named
CRAY Computers.  Under the divorce decree, CRAY Research will be paying
CRAY Computers about $200 Million a year for a number of years as alimony.
In addition, community property was split such that CRAY Computer got
the Colorado Springs complex and CRAY Research got to keep the Mandota
Heights complex along with Seymours tunnel and burned remains of Seymour's
boats.

Dave

--
David A. Remaklus
NASA Lewis Research Center

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (03/16/90)

  Well, I would imagine that Mr. Cray is in Colorado Springs trying to get
Cray Computer's (N.B. not Cray Research) new machine going.

					Dave Ritchie

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (03/17/90)

cs86eew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Eoin Woods) writes:
>I believe that Seymour Cray came to an agreement with Cray Research that he
>would leave the company to develop his ideas for the Cray III machine. His
>new company is called Cray something too - I can't remember what the something
>is at the moment.

SC is at Cray Computers, in Colorado, working, indeed, on the Cray3
and Cray4.  Cray Research (referred internally as Cray Classic)
is still in Minneapolis area, about to move to a new facility
away from Mendota Heights.  Cray Computer will be opening sales offices
soon I understand.  In San Francisco and Wash DC.  But thats a
rumor, not hard data.

Anyone know the unet path to cray computer??
--
 /s/ rchrd <=> Richard Friedman <=>  rchrd@well
 rchrd@well.sf.ca.us | {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!rchrd

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (03/18/90)

In article <1405@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> cs86eew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Eoin Woods) writes:
>In article <863@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>>I just want to know what he is doing.  I heard that he has quit his job
>>with Cray computers and that the stock prices have dropped about $6.00.
>>
>I believe that Seymour Cray came to an agreement with Cray Research that he
>would leave the company to develop his ideas for the Cray III machine. His
>new company is called Cray something too - I can't remember what the something
>is at the moment.

  The Cray III project was basically spun off into a new company, Cray
Computers, which is in Colorado (at Cray Research's old site there, I
believe).  I don't know the details of the arrangements; I believe
that Cray Research will handle marketing of Cray Computer's systems.
(I was under the impression that Cray Computers was at least partially
owned by Cray Research, and simply under different management.)
  Cray Research will continue developing systems as well, following up
the X-MP and Y-MP line (which were not developed by Seymour Cray).

  It's been a while since I read all about this in the paper, so take
the above with a grain of salt.  My only connection with Cray Research
was working there as a summer intern a few years back.

		Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

danh@halley.UUCP (Dan Hendrickson) (03/23/90)

In article <RANG.90Mar17124125@derby.cs.wisc.edu} rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
}In article <1405@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk} cs86eew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Eoin Woods) writes:
}}In article <863@jc3b21.UUCP} david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
}}}I just want to know what he is doing.  I heard that he has quit his job
}}}with Cray computers and that the stock prices have dropped about $6.00.
}}}
}
}  The Cray III project was basically spun off into a new company, Cray
}Computers, which is in Colorado (at Cray Research's old site there, I
}believe).  I don't know the details of the arrangements; I believe
}that Cray Research will handle marketing of Cray Computer's systems.
}(I was under the impression that Cray Computers was at least partially
}owned by Cray Research, and simply under different management.)
}  Cray Research will continue developing systems as well, following up
}the X-MP and Y-MP line (which were not developed by Seymour Cray).
}

Seymour took the Cray 3 development out to Colorado Springs a couple of years
ago.  Cray Research purchased the old Inmos facility, and Seymour bought
a residence there.  (Cray Research had previously had a facility in Boulder,
not CoSpgs.)  Less than a year ago, it was announced that there
would be a split between Seymour and Cray Research, with Seymour getting
the facility and some $$.  At the end of '89, the split was made official
(the IRS had to approve some of the terms of the agreement) Stockholders
in Cray Research were given shares of the new company. Cray Research stock
has recently been trading in the $40 range, and Cray Computer has been
anywhere between $3 and $6 on the NASDAQ board.  I am unsure of any
marketing arrangements between the two companies.  Cray Research did this,
claiming that the development of the Cray 3 was too costly and risky.  My
take is that Seymour felt that Cray Res. had become too large of a
company, and that Chippewa Falls had too many computer companies in the
area.  (Eau Claire, WI, a small suburb of Chippewa (8^)) had gotten
Steve Chen, formerly of Cray Res. and "credited" with the X-MP and Y-MP,
to start his new company, SSI there).  It'll be interesting to see what
happens with Seymour.  Looking in from the outside, one would have a
lot of doubts that a company trying to develop a GaAs-based supercomputer
which costs probably around $20M would be an incredible risk, but Seymour
has a habit of being successful.

Dan Hendrickson
Tandem Computers
Austin, TX