[comp.misc] Touch screens

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (04/12/90)

Someone recently told me that you could install touch screens on a normal
monitor.  Does anyone know where I can get one of these that would work
with a 386 version of unix?  Thanx in advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134

lopes@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes) (04/12/90)

In article <145@dynasys.UUCP> jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>Someone recently told me that you could install touch screens on a normal
>monitor.  Does anyone know where I can get one of these that would work
>with a 386 version of unix?  Thanx in advance.

I've installed and work with one on a Nec Multisync II and a 386 clone
using Dos. I got it from

                Elographics, Inc.
                105 Randolph Road
                Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37830
                (615) 482-4100

It's possible that they have a product that will work with UNIX.

Please let me know what you find out.

           Thanks -- alann

lee@ulysses.att.com (Lee Begeja[cwc]) (04/13/90)

In article <145@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
> Someone recently told me that you could install touch screens on a normal
> monitor.  Does anyone know where I can get one of these that would work
> with a 386 version of unix?  Thanx in advance.

More than two years ago we had Carroll Touch Infrared Touch Screens
installed on Mitsubishi monitors that we use with
our AT&T 6386WGS running V.3.2 .

Good points:
	1) The infrared system means that nothing goes between you and
	the picture.
	2) Once things got working the touch screens have performed
	flawlessly.
Neutral points:
	1) The output comes off of a rs232 line that plugs into your
	serial port.

Bad points:
	1) Carroll Touch requires that they do the
	installation of the touchscreen
	2) Carroll Touch does a lousy job of installation. (we had them do 20
	and had to send back more than half of them to be redone)
	3) They provide you with zero software.  It's up to you to
	write your own code to read the serial port based on their specs.
	(Their specs are accurate)
	4) There is a parallax problem with the infrared touch screens
	since the beams are above the surface of the screen.

If we were to do it now I think we would go with the acoustic wave type
of touch screen that does not impact the picture but removes the
parallax problem.  We would not use Carroll Touch because of their
lack of quality control on installation and their refusal to supply
kits to allow us to do it ourselves.  In fairness the touch screens
themselves work fine.

Lee Begeja AT&T Bell Labs att!ulysses!lee

jpalmer@well.sf.ca.us (Jim Palmer) (04/15/90)

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>Someone recently told me that you could install touch screens on a normal
>monitor.  Does anyone know where I can get one of these that would work
>with a 386 version of unix?  Thanx in advance.

	I'm a satisfied customer of a company based in the
	University of Utah's Research Park named
	RGB Dynamics.  Call directory assistance at 801 555-1212
	to get their number.  They make their own screens and can
	custom fit them to any monitor.  One of their biggest
	customers is Sony, which uses them on the shop floor
	of their factory.

--
{hplabs,ptsfa,pacbell,ucbvax}!well!jpalmer   Jim Palmer, not in JOCKEY shorts
Admirers of laws or sausages are advised to avoid witnessing either's creation.