[net.music] new Glass opera?

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (08/30/85)

I read somewhere that the NY City Opera Company will be performing
"Satyegahara", the latest (?) Philip Glass opera, in the next several months.
Does anyone have more information on this?

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA
{harvard,seismo,topaz,ucbvax}!cmu-cs-g!ckk
(412)578-8526 office, (412)362-6422 home
Center for Design of Educational Computing
Carnegie-Mellon U.
Pgh, Pa. 15213

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (09/03/85)

> From: ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg)
> Subject: new Glass opera?

> I read somewhere that the NY City Opera Company will be performing
> "Satyegahara", the latest (?) Philip Glass opera, in the next months.
> Does anyone have more information on this?

Well, I don't know about that particular engagement, but the opera
itself is called "Satyagraha" (?spelling? -- at least it's pronounced
that way), and it was written before "Akhnaten," his latest, but after
"Einstein On The Beach."  "Satyagraha" is based on the life of
Mohandas Ghandi.
David C. Tuttle			"1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1-2-3-4-5..."
Computer Science Dept.
University of Washington
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

chris@laidbak.UUCP (Chris Granner) (09/26/85)

>I read somewhere that the NY City Opera Company will be performing
>"Satyegahara", the latest (?) Philip Glass opera, in the next several months.
>Does anyone have more information on this?
>
>Chris Koenigsberg

hi-

I can't tell you whether NYCOC will be *performing* the new Glass work, but
I just read a review in the Chicago Reader of the album which they made.  It
is apparently available now, and on Columbia (where else?) although I don't
have the article in front of me, so I can't pass along the catalogue number.
Satyegahara is in fact Glass's latest opera.

-cg (...!ihnp4!laidbak!chris)

hail eris						all hail discordia