[comp.misc] How to remove PS/2 Password?

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (05/26/90)

Well the boss really fouled up this time... He activated the
power on password feature, and the promptly lost the password.
Now when the machine boots it sits and waits for the forgotten
password.  I thought I could "blow" the password by removing a
board (thus corrupting the system config ram) but that didn't
work (the good news is I could put the board back in and at
least the "165" error goes away), I also can't boot from from
the reference disk as apperently the security feature runs before
the boot routines.   Any thoughts? please help the poor over-worked,
distraught net-work tech get back to work (and incidentaly get my
reveiw... its in the machine).

If you do have any thoughts, please mail them as I don't really think
this is the kind of stuff we want roaming lose in the world, what
with all the  "hacker" hysteria these days.

thanks in advance...
ghost@cup.portal.com   or   bferrell@mcimail.com
                            Yes, I AM unique... so far ;-)

work fone 1800-950-7924 (yup, its for real)
home fone 1415-427-7941

jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (05/30/90)

In article <30215@cup.portal.com> ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) writes:
>   password.  I thought I could "blow" the password by removing a
>   board (thus corrupting the system config ram) but that didn't
>   work (the good news is I could put the board back in and at

Yes, you where on the right way.  Just didn't wait time enough.
RT[F]M is the way.  I discovered that you have to remove the
battery for at least 30 minutes.
--
Jose Pina Coelho        | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto      | UUCP: jpc@unl.uucp

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

cattanac@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (06/01/90)

jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:

>In article <30215@cup.portal.com> ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) writes:
>>   password.  I thought I could "blow" the password by removing a
>>   board (thus corrupting the system config ram) but that didn't
>>   work (the good news is I could put the board back in and at

>Yes, you where on the right way.  Just didn't wait time enough.
>RT[F]M is the way.  I discovered that you have to remove the
>battery for at least 30 minutes.

I also heard that you can do it by draining the battery w/ a paper
clip w/o opening the case, but you didn't hear it from me :-)

--
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)
For the list of ascii art, finger me (and ship me your ascii contributions).

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (06/02/90)

Thanks to all who responded both here and in my listed mailboxes...
I guess I got impatient (wait a bit and see... I know enough to do that)

And for those of you that told me politely and not-so-politely "Read
The Manual"; easier said than done... ever work wher most everyone
is a glorified clerk... "whats a manual, we threw that out 'cause we
couldnt understand it."

Anyway thanks again. Now I can get back to work and my boss can get
my review done.