[comp.misc] Your Date and Time

root@tndsyd.oz (Berny M Goodheart) (06/06/90)

I am trying to write a shell program that can set the UNIX
TZ environment variable according to where the UNIX machine
is installed. To do this I need to collect a data base of
TZ info for example Sydney Australia is  EST5EDT.

If you are reading this could you please post me the contents
of your TZ variable and where or what part of the world
you are posting from. I will publish results.

Thnx
bmg

    UUCP:uunet!munnari.oz!tndsyd.oz!berny
INTERNET:berny@tndsyd.oz.au

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/06/90)

In article <215@tndsyd.oz> root@tndsyd.oz (Berny M Goodheart) writes:
>... To do this I need to collect a data base of
>TZ info for example Sydney Australia is  EST5EDT.
>If you are reading this could you please post me the contents
>of your TZ variable and where or what part of the world
>you are posting from. I will publish results.

I recommend you instead obtain the time-zone database distributed
with ADO's timezone library (replacements for ctime() etc.) that
was posted to one of the source newsgroups a couple of years ago;
it should be on most of the archive sites.  The usual location
for this database is the directory /usr/lib/zoneinfo.