[comp.misc] Is the 3b2 dead?

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (06/05/90)

:From article <3532@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, by smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel):

> I wonder how many other people out there work for companies that
> have LARGE investments in 3b2 hardware and software. We have several
> 3b2's that may not be supported very much longer. While nobody at
> AT&T will actually confirm this, it seems that the 3b2 is a dead
> product line.

Do you mean the whole 3B2 line or the 310/400 models?  I doubt the former
and I believe the latter has already been announced.  The low-end 3B2's
are slower than 386's so why not phase them out.  However, I have heard
nothing to suggest that the rest of the entire 3B2 line is on its way out.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

nts0699@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus) (06/05/90)

From article <3532@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, by smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel):

> I wonder how many other people out there work for companies that
> have LARGE investments in 3b2 hardware and software. We have several
> 3b2's that may not be supported very much longer. While nobody at
> AT&T will actually confirm this, it seems that the 3b2 is a dead
> product line.

The US Department of Defense has (or will have soon) a _massive_
investment in 3b2 600Gs from the AFCAC251 contract. At this point we
have no indications that they are about to become unsupported. In
fact, we have contractural support agreements thru AFCAC251 that they
will be fully supported for 5 years. All indications from the AT&T
engineers with whom we have contact also seems to indicate that at
least this beast is alive & well.

Gene

Gene McManus @ DLA Systems Automation Center, DSAC-X
               Columbus, OH 43215 (614) 238-9403,    Autovon 850-
Internet:      gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil  (131.78.1.1)
UUCP:          {uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!gmcmanus
<<"Dibi bili ve prdele ribi, ne musi vedt na rybnik!" - The Bad Czech>>
The views expressed are my own, not those of the Agency, or Dept. of Defense

lfd@cbnewsm.att.com (leland.f.derbenwick) (06/06/90)

In article <3532@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel) writes:

> I wonder how many other people out there work for companies that
> have LARGE investments in 3b2 hardware and software. We have several
> 3b2's that may not be supported very much longer. While nobody at
> AT&T will actually confirm this, it seems that the 3b2 is a dead
> product line.

I work for a company that has a LARGE investment in 3b2 hardware and
software!   :-)  :-)

There were some internal rumors at one point that the 3b2 line was
going to go away, but they were all denied once someone in 3b2-land
heard them.  It appears that the _old_ 3b2 computers (even those
slightly newer than the already-discontinued 3b2/300 "pizza box")
will be going away, but that the line will be extended with new ones.

Of course, my _particular_ project uses mostly VAX 8650's and
PDP 11/70's (both _discontinued_ machines from DEC), so I'm not an
expert on the 3b line.  (Hey, this project started out on IBM
mainframes, and still uses them...)  But at least one other project
in my lab runs _only_ on 3b2's and they don't appear to be worried
about them going away.

 -- Speaking strictly for myself,
 --   Lee Derbenwick, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Warren, NJ
 --   lfd@cbnewsm.ATT.COM  or  <wherever>!att!cbnewsm!lfd

fmcgee@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun4.224210.23804@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>:From article <3532@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, by smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel):
>>
>> I wonder how many other people out there work for companies that
>> have LARGE investments in 3b2 hardware and software. We have several
>> 3b2's that may not be supported very much longer. While nobody at
>> AT&T will actually confirm this, it seems that the 3b2 is a dead
>> product line.
>
>Do you mean the whole 3B2 line or the 310/400 models?  I doubt the former
>and I believe the latter has already been announced.  The low-end 3B2's
>are slower than 386's so why not phase them out.  However, I have heard
>nothing to suggest that the rest of the entire 3B2 line is on its way out.

Do you refer to support, or availability of new product ?  Most
people are primarily concerned with support, and that will be around
for quite a while.

In general, AT&T continues to support a product until 5 years after
it has been manufacturer discontined (md'd) - ie, no longer
orderable as a new product.  The worst case for the 3B2 would be the
300/310, which was md'd last year I believe.  I don't know if the
400 is still available, and the 500 and higher will probably be
available for a long time to come, and then supported for about 5
years after they are no longer available.

In fact, there are a lot of people in my building that work on
support for 3B2's, and they'll be around for a long time to come.

As for peripherals, most of the 3B's use SCSI, and the 6386 line
introduced SCSI peripherals this year.  The 6386 machines use the
same SCSI peripherals as the 3B2, so they will be around for a long
time as well.

Frank McGee
Entry Level Systems Support
attmail!fmcgee (prefered)